Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.59

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.50

Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hereditary 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.00

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Pan's Labyrinth 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 AM   #161
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Can you play 4K movies stored on an external hard drive connected to the rear USB port of the 9000?

How easy it is compared to the Oppo 203/205 player?

Is there any restriction; the type of files and on the audio side?
Huh?

This has been asked and answered a number of times in the other Panny thread.

The Panasonic players will not play lossless audio codecs via USB. Just lossy audio.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:44 AM   #162
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Someone is asking for confirmation and I don't follow the latest firmware updates from Panasonic.

It was the 4K video content through an external hard drive that was his main concern.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #163

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Huh?

This has been asked and answered a number of times in the other Panny thread.

The Panasonic players will not play lossless audio codecs via USB. Just lossy audio.
Not quite true, it will play lossless multi-channel Flac within videos if you re-encode the files to that format. Still only plays them back at 60p though.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #164
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

So it only needs a load of faffing to get it work, but obviously that kills the immersive formats stone dead if you reencode AND it still doesn't play the video at the correct frame rate anyway.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #165

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
So it only needs a load of faffing to get it work, but obviously that kills the immersive formats stone dead if you reencode AND it still doesn't play the video at the correct frame rate anyway.
Yeah, agreed, it's still pretty much worthless.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #166
Power Member

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Does the Pioneer or Sony play lossless through the USB ?
Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #167
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Dunno about the Pioneer. Lossless on the Sony is fine. Ditto for OPPO.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 PM   #168
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

With the Oppos it's easy and fast to pick the files (NAS & external hard drives); that's why also I was asking if with the Panasonic 9000 it's as easy.

Panasonic needs to get on with the program I think, for such a premium player with an aim to not only the videophiles but also to the audiophiles (audiofiles).

It's a niche player anyway; Costco doesn't carry it, Wal-Mart doesn't carry it, Best Buy doesn't carry it, Amazon Canada doesn't carry it, China and Russia I just don't know.

It's probably much easier to locate an Oppo 203/205 on eBay or @ Audiogon.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #169
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
With the Oppos it's easy and fast to pick the files (NAS & external hard drives); that's why also I was asking if with the Panasonic 9000 it's as easy.

Panasonic needs to get on with the program I think, for such a premium player with an aim to not only the videophiles but also to the audiophiles (audiofiles).

It's a niche player anyway; Costco doesn't carry it, Wal-Mart doesn't carry it, Best Buy doesn't carry it, Amazon Canada doesn't carry it, China and Russia I just don't know.

It's probably much easier to locate an Oppo 203/205 on eBay or @ Audiogon.
You would be correct. The UB9000 is sold by Robert Zohn with Value Electronics and you have to get on a wait list for each allocation. Surprisingly I have not seen a single UB9000 on eBay or Audiogon from the first allocation, must be a great player if no one has tried to sell it yet.

It's pretty easy to buy an Oppo 203 and a 205 on eBay or Audiogon if you have the extra spare change.

Having experienced the 820 I must say for UHD it has the best image but for videophile/audiophile universal ease of use the Oppo 203/205 is the clear winner. Those Oppo machines also have a great UHD/BD image to.

Panasonic definitely needs to step up their game to cater to the Oppo crowd. The 820/UB9000 should have more videophile/audiophile universal ease of use, they need to work on this for future models.

Last edited by danny24; 02-21-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (02-21-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 AM   #170
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Four simple easy questions from a Canadian friend (wants to purchase, but first):

1) The Panasonic 9000 will play 4K video files from an external hard drive and NAS.
Where do you to get metadata for the movies?

2) Do you have to download any special software besides firmware on the UB-9000 or was it able to play out of the box?

3) What NAS do you use and what was the software on the NAS if any (PLEX etc )?

4) What type of movie extension was it that you tried it on?
_____

* For people who live in the Toronto area with an interest on the 9000:
https://baybloorradio.com/tv/blu-ray...blu-ray-player

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 02-22-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:48 AM   #171
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
Not quite true, it will play lossless multi-channel Flac within videos if you re-encode the files to that format. Still only plays them back at 60p though.
Thx, and I would like to know for the Pioneer LX500, if it too like the Panasonic 9000 is restricted.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #172

May 2008
United Kingdom A promise Broken By Panasonic

They indeed made a promise to finally support SACD and DVD Audio formats and I was very disappointed to the learn this will not be the case with the DP-UB9000 Panasonic player....

Those in the know better start paying attention to us the consumers or we will abandon them in droves...

I've been a supporter of Panasonic Blu ray players from day one, but I am slowly changing my mind to switch to alternate manufacture such as Sony or Pioneer have having witnessed the X700 Sony owned my a close friend via my projector at home I am considering alternatives by the end of the year...

If Panasonic don't show their intention to finally support the formats very have been promising then my current Panasonic 4K player the UB900 will be my last ever machine.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #173

Feb 2008
Default Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleet Officer View Post
They indeed made a promise to finally support SACD and DVD Audio formats and I was very disappointed to the learn this will not be the case with the DP-UB9000 Panasonic player....

Those in the know better start paying attention to us the consumers or we will abandon them in droves...

I've been a supporter of Panasonic Blu ray players from day one, but I am slowly changing my mind to switch to alternate manufacture such as Sony or Pioneer have having witnessed the X700 Sony owned my a close friend via my projector at home I am considering alternatives by the end of the year...

If Panasonic don't show their intention to finally support the formats very have been promising then my current Panasonic 4K player the UB900 will be my last ever machine.
The format is DEAD like VHS, CED, Beta-Max, LaserDisc.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (03-09-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #174
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Sorry to disagree, but I have been a BETA tester for Panasonic HQ since they made the 1st UB820 and UB9000 engineering prototypes and adding SACD and DVD-A support was literally discussed dozens of times by me personally. Every time the answer on SACD and DVD-A, sorry we do not plan on adding SACD or DVD-A compatibly.

In my last of many meetings with Panasonic's Chief BD Engineer and his key staff I asked them to consider adding SACD and DVD-A support.

SACD and DVD-A support was never promised and Panasonic has been clear throughout the development process that the goal was to build the very best BD player with streaming apps and they were not interested in supporting legacy audio formats.

For folks that have SACD and or DVD-A discs I recommend keeping your player that supports those formats and use the UB820 or the new flagship UB9000 for playing CD's DVDs, 1080p BD, UHD BDs and streaming. This advice is especially important for users of projectors, OLED TVs and all LCD TV other than the Q9FN and Z9D.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #175
Expert Member

May 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLAY View Post
The format is DEAD like VHS, CED, Beta-Max, LaserDisc.
New SACDs are still manufactured and released each month. I'm not sure about DVD Audio. But it's nothing like the formats you listed. They didn't have new releases in years/decades.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (02-27-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology