Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
$24.96
3 hrs ago
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Sully (Blu-ray)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.99

Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music

Old 08-04-2018, 01:49 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Received my single copy today from Amazon. Going to try and give it a listen this weekend.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 AM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

the inside booklet has a detailed writeup of the restoration/remixing of the album
Old 08-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

One tip on this disc. The center channel is attenuated for some reason. If you boost the center channel between 4 and 6dB, it sounds MUCH better.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #24

Nov 2010
Charlottesville VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
One tip on this disc. The center channel is attenuated for some reason. If you boost the center channel between 4 and 6dB, it sounds MUCH better.
Certainly worth a try if one is so inclined, but that tip appears to be very much a minority opinion, based on what I've read at AVS, SHF and QQ.

The center is mixed very low, but on purpose, as to be more like a quad mix (where Mr. Parsons first learned how to do surround and created one of the most highly-praised surround mixes ever: the quad for DSotM).

I find the 5.1 mix perfectly balanced- a stellar experience all around.

But to each his own: no harm in trying.
Thanks given by:
Paul.R.S (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

The center channel contains discrete sound. It's a separate channel- it isn't just a fill for the phantom center. I think they originally had it mixed it up, then attenuated it at the very end. Perhaps the monitoring system where they did the final check didn't have an accurate presentation of the center channel. If you listen to Eye in the Sky with a boosted center, you'll find the doubled vocals and harmonies all balance perfectly. None of the separate vocals dominate the rest. At default, the mains dominate over the ones in the center. There are also some front/rear ambience effects that skew to the rear when the center channel isn't boosted. It sounds like the mix was designed for the center to be louder. You have to try it to hear what I'm talking about.

Depending on how your room is set up, you'll need to boost the center channel from +4dB to +6dB. 6dB is a big boost. If you boosted the center channel of any other multichannel recording that much, it would sound way too loud. This isn't a subtle thing. 4.0 can sound good without a center channel. But if it's designed to have that center, it sounds a lot better with it at proper level. This clearly has a discrete center channel. It wasn't mixed to be quad.

The Beatles Sgt Pepper had a similar problem. The rear channels were attenuated. If you boost both rears +6dB, during Good Morning, the fox hunt runs right through the middle of the room. If you leave it at calibrated, the fox hunt fades out from the fronts and appears very distantly in the rears. People argued that was a "forward centered mix" too, and it clearly isn't.

I think a lot of people hired someone to calibrate their system for them and they're afraid to touch the controls for fear of messing it up. That's why people at certain internet forums are hesitant to try and see. I do all my own calibration, so I know how to spot mistakes when I hear them. There are a lot of very well engineered multichannel recordings out there, but there are a handful of ones that are definitely out of spec. I think that a lot of people on internet forums think they are cheerleaders for multichannel and tend to make excuses because multichannel music is on the ropes financially right now. I understand that, but if there is an easy fix, I don't see why people don't take advantage of it.

It's interesting that both this album and Sgt Pepper are out of level by 6dB. I wonder if there is some mastering reason behind that. Maybe it's standard practice to work at -6dB and then boost it on the final output. They might have just forgotten to boost it when they output certain channels.

Last edited by bigshot; 08-11-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #26
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

thanks for the clarification/explanation on why I thought the sound was sounding kind of off. In regards to Sgt Pepper, why they didn't encode/include the Dolby Atmos mix is a major head scratcher, in the Dolby Cinema presentation I heard, the sound trounced the home video edition.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #27
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

I picked this up from Amazon Prime, the Blu-Ray Pure Audio Disc only; got it for $14.59

I'm currently listening to it in my bedroom, Oppo 105D, RCA analog out to the receiver, front L & R on dedicated 2 channel amp from receiver pre-outs, to a pair of Vintage Polk Audio Monitor 10a with Peerless Tweeters and fully upgraded crossovers.

I'm drifting away to the 192khz/24bit Stereo version!

08F4EA0D-593F-4315-80CE-8B78ED7B2F88.jpg

Absolute Heaven!

I can't wait until I have a chance to put this into my dedicated 2 channel 2.0 setup and run it with those Vintage Polk Audio SDA-2's from an Oppo 105 via XLR to a 2 channel Analog Pre-Amp driving a 200wpc 2 channel amp. it will be, well, I can only imagine until later in the week when I do that.

right now, this thing sounds AmazBalls!

I will also give it a go in 5.1 on my both my dedicated 7.1.4 HT setup and my 5.1.2 bedroom setups later in the coming weeks. i'll report back on all of them.

Last edited by solarrdadd; 03-05-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #28

Nov 2007
Santa Clarita, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
I picked this up from Amazon Prime, the Blu-Ray Pure Audio Disc only; got it for $14.59

I'm currently listening to it in my bedroom, Oppo 105D, RCA analog out to the receiver, front L & R on dedicated 2 channel amp from receiver pre-outs, to a pair of Vintage Polk Audio Monitor 10a with Peerless Tweeters and fully upgraded crossovers.

I'm drifting away to the 192khz/24bit Stereo version!

Attachment 217568

Absolute Heaven!

I can't wait until I have a chance to put this into my dedicated 2 channel 2.0 setup and run it with those Vintage Polk Audio SDA-2's from an Oppo 105 via XLR to a 2 channel Analog Pre-Amp driving a 200wpc 2 channel amp. it will be, well, I can only imagine until later in the week when I do that.

right now, this thing sounds AmazBalls!

I will also give it a go in 5.1 on my both my dedicated 7.1.4 HT setup and my 5.1.2 bedroom setups later in the coming weeks. i'll report back on all of them.
Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered it!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music