Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Doors 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.09
14 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.29
3 hrs ago
Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
16 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
14 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$70.00
53 min ago
The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 03-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #1

Feb 2016
Default Any recommendations for a cheap 4K player?

I just bought a cheap 4K TV a month ago and would like to get a cheap 4K disc player to go with it. I have noticed that most cheap 4K players at Walmart won't even play 4K discs?! The advertising on these players have really confused me and seem deliberately misleading. I really wouldn't want to pay more then 100 dollars until I am sold on the format.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:22 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas speed View Post
I just bought a cheap 4K TV a month ago and would like to get a cheap 4K disc player to go with it. I have noticed that most cheap 4K players at Walmart won't even play 4K discs?! The advertising on these players have really confused me and seem deliberately misleading. I really wouldn't want to pay more then 100 dollars until I am sold on the format.
Older BD players that upscale to 4k are not UHD BD players. This is where the store is at fault mislabeling players.

See this description: 4K Upscaling Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player, that is not a UHD BD player.

You don’t want to get the cheapest UHD BD players available. But tell us what interested you and we can provide opinions. Phillips, LG and Sony all make reasonable UHD BD players.

Last edited by JohnAV; 03-30-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (03-30-2019), Zoland2020 (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 02:34 AM   #3

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Older BD players that upscale to 4k are not UHD BD players. This is where the store is at fault mislabeling players.

You don’t want to get the cheapest UHD BD players available. But tell us what interested you and we can provide opinions. Phillips, LG and Sony all make reasonable players.
Give me the cheapest price on any of those brand players and where I can get it. One of the reasons I am not that sold on the format is the titles that are coming out. I have no interest in any of "the best 4K Blu-ray deals" on this page and tend to go for older classic films. I did recently get a Game of Thrones Season One 4K set for 15 dollars (used) and would like to watch it. I guess I am supposed to look for the words "UHD" in the ads and not 4K.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:37 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas speed View Post
Give me the cheapest price on any of those brand players and where I can get it. One of the reasons I am not that sold on the format is the titles that are coming out. I have no interest in any of "the best 4K Blu-ray deals" on this page and tend to go for older classic films. I did recently get a Game of Thrones Season One 4K set for 15 dollars (used) and would like to watch it. I guess I am supposed to look for the words "UHD" in the ads and not 4K.
You will see UHD and 4K used a lot in a similar manner. Players can be described as 4K or UHD, confusing huh! They will usually call these players 4K UHD Blu-ray players and you really want one with 2 HDMI outputs so you can use a old AVR and a display with separate cables if your gear is not new (aside from UDTV)

But media always has 4K on the slipcover or case at the top.

Low end brand name 4K UHD Blu-ray players start at about $175 to $200.

Example Bestbuy has a Sony x800 for $199 because the new model is coming. Walmart want to sell you that for $298 right now.

If you see a Magnavox or Sanyo for like $60 to $70 this is not what you want because they have usually one HDMI port, missing common features like WiFi, and the reliability is what you expect for something dirt cheap.

UHD optical loaders are not that cheap so yes it costs more for that component in a player compared to an older BD player.

You could get a open box from BB, just like some return at Amazon.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2010

There are "cheap" UHD-BD players. Magnavox has one, Philips has one, and the recognized brands can often be found on clearance discounts if you know where to look at places like Target.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

It'll be best to save up enough money to get a good quality UHD player the first time because, if you keep buying cheap products, most likely the quality is subpar, and the player will be subjected to moderate or frequent mechanical problems from poor quality, and you'll be wasting your money, then you'll have to end up spending more money to buy another player, if you don't buy a extended warranty.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (05-20-2019), stratford (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #7

Feb 2016

I guess I'll probably wait a while. That's a bit more then I wanted to spend considering there aren't that many 4K movie titles jumping out at me. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Expert Member

Mar 2019

Check eBay for the Sony UBP-X800.
Can be purchased for around $150 or less
Thanks given by:
chas speed (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
Expert Member

Aug 2009

That I've read the bottom rung players tend to be noisey during use, try to buy from a store.
Thanks given by:
chas speed (03-30-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology