Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.59

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$4.99
9 hrs ago
The French Connection (Blu-ray)
$6.99
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you prefer buying physical or digital games for consoles?
I prefer buying physical games for consoles. 50 65.79%
I prefer buying digital games for consoles. 14 18.42%
I don't have a preference and just buy whichever is cheaper. 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #61

Jan 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
So your solution was to sell all your physical games and then pirate them?
Well, to be honest, yes. I had thousands of games and it was so cumbersome when it came time to move, and the clutter was ridiculous, so I had to make a decision. To be honest, I don't look at downloading old games as pirating since I've paid for, and have owned, every single game I have on my SNES at least twice in the past 25+ years, some of them three times possibly. I look at it as I've paid for them multiple times already and that this is a different form of owning them, whether others view it that way or not. It's all good.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #62

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFilmAficionado View Post
Well, to be honest, yes. I had thousands of games and it was so cumbersome when it came time to move, and the clutter was ridiculous, so I had to make a decision. To be honest, I don't look at downloading old games as pirating since I've paid for, and have owned, every single game I have on my SNES at least twice in the past 25+ years, some of them three times possibly. I look at it as I've paid for them multiple times already and that this is a different form of owning them, whether others view it that way or not. It's all good.
If you had downloaded games you still had then I could understand that logic. But to have made money from the sale of your games and yet still consider yourself as owning them is absurd. Once you've sold something you no longer own it, that's basic logic.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #63

Jan 2019

Quote:
If you had downloaded games you still had then I could understand that logic. But to have made money from the sale of your games and yet still consider yourself as owning them is absurd. Once you've sold something you no longer own it, that's basic logic.
Well, if there were an outlet to own most of these games digitally then I would, but probably 800 of my 1,200+ games are not available through any other source other than owning the
physical cart. Why be forced to own something that is taking up space? That's where the "piracy" comes in. If some of these games were available through a digital outlet I'd pay for them yet again, but they're not. But again, I've paid for these games over and over in the past so I've paid my dues regardless of what someone on some message board may think.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #64

Apr 2019

Digital just makes everything so much easier. Yeah, it sucks that we can't trade them in when we're done with them, but that's always been a rip-off anyway.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:39 AM   #65

Mar 2018

If you want to make you'll have your game forever, physical is the only choice.

I have DVDs that are probably over 20 years old. They are in basically perfect condition sitting on their shelves.

Can you say Google Play, Vudu, iTunes, etc, will be around in 20 years? Of course not... in fact... it's very likely not. Modern technology is changing so fast, and apps come and go.

A physical copy is your own permanent copy. Physical gives you permanent access to games, movies, etc.

I really don't care how convenient digital is. If I love a certain movie, game, music, etc, I'm going to want to own it physically. I don't want the movie connected to a particular online service like Vudu. You don't really own movies (certainly not in a permanent manner) when you buy them on Vudu. They are literally out of your hands. They are linked to a temporary service.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #66
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Permanent?

How long is that?

Physical is only good if manufacturing of physical players/consoles stays Permanent & said media is still in manufacturing for the consumer.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #67

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Permanent?

How long is that?

Physical is only good if manufacturing of physical players/consoles stays Permanent & said media is still in manufacturing for the consumer.
The old consoles and old video formats don't have to continually be manufactured to stay in circulation. Anyone can easily buy and play a used Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Gamecube, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, LaserDisc player, HD DVD player, and lots of titles for each one even though none of them have been manufactured in over a decade.

A digital copy requires ongoing support to function, a physical copy does not: that's what makes it permanent.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Physical in most scenarios for both games and movies. About the only thing I really wouldn't mind digital is tv shows on dvd since they tend to take up a lot of room, especially with older releases.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #69

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Physical in most scenarios for both games and movies. About the only thing I really wouldn't mind digital is tv shows on dvd since they tend to take up a lot of room, especially with older releases.
Unfortunately TV shows don't sell as well because of attitudes like that. I therefore make sure to support physical releases of TV shows as much as possible to ensure that they continue to be released.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:38 AM   #70
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
The old consoles and old video formats don't have to continually be manufactured to stay in circulation. Anyone can easily buy and play a used Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Gamecube, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Xbox, LaserDisc player, HD DVD player, and lots of titles for each one even though none of them have been manufactured in over a decade.

A digital copy requires ongoing support to function, a physical copy does not: that's what makes it permanent.
That’s a relief because in 621 years from now I might feel nostalgic & want to play a very specific game or watch a film.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #71
Expert Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Thatís a relief because in 621 years from now I might feel nostalgic & want to play a very specific game or watch a film.
It's funny but it's exactly this sentiment that leads me to hoarding so many games and movies, physical copies. When in reality I only ever go back to maybe <5% of them.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #72
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
It's funny but it's exactly this sentiment that leads me to hoarding so many games and movies, physical copies. When in reality I only ever go back to maybe <5% of them.
I have over 1,500 Blu-ray Discs I havenít watched that I purchased 10 years ago.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #73
Expert Member

Aug 2015

Your numbers are a little bigger than mine lol, but I finally made it a rule that if I buy something I have to watch it. Goes on the top of the pile until I've seen it
Old 04-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #74

Apr 2017

I have hundreds of movies and TV shows I haven't watched as well (and dozens of video games I haven't played), but I see that as a good thing. It means I will never run out of things to watch and I'll always have a very nice variety available.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion