Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$20.70

One Piece: Episode of East Blue: Luffy and His Four Friends' Great Adventure (Blu-ray)
$25.85

My Neighbor Totoro (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Sailor Moon S: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.86
8 hrs ago
The Ancient Magus' Bride: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$29.82

Penguin Highway (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Dragon Ball Super: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$29.96
10 hrs ago
Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Record of Lodoss War: OVA & Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #1

Feb 2015
Utah
Default Japans Anime Collaborations

I am curious about anime made in collaboration between Japan and other countries.

This thread is to be used for:
  • listing foreign country + Japan collaboration anime projects and whether they are movies or series
  • note what the original languages of release are, and what languages they are now available in
  • what releases are out there for these animations (both US and global)
  • our opinions of these original language titles, and how they compare to English and/or Japanese (if available and if interested in comparing).

This will be the master post, which I will update as I find new additions or as you all inform me of them.

Movies

Twelve Months (1980) - Soviet Union/Japan
  • 65 min

First Squad: The Moment of Truth (2009) - Russia/Japan
  • 2 cuts: 60 min short & 73 min regular
  • Originally released in Russian, but also available in Japanese and English on the US blu-ray and DVD releases.
    French is available on the UK and Italian blu-ray releases.
    Italian and Spanish may be available on the Swedish DVD release only.

The Red Turtle (2016) - France/Belgium/Japan
  • 80 min
  • Silent movie.

Mutafukaz [MFKZ] (2017) - France/Japan
  • 90 min
  • Originally released in French, but also available in Japanese and English.
    German will be available on the German blu-ray release.

Series

Zoom the White Dolphin (1971) - France/Japan
  • 2 seasons; 26 ep
  • Originally released in French, followed by Japanese in 1975 and later in English.

Ulysses 31 (1981-1982) - France/Japan
  • 1 season; 26 ep
  • Hard to say whether the original release was French or Japanese. Japan later did a re-dub in 1992.
    Later released in English, which is the only language option on both the UK and Australian DVD releases.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (1985-1986) - France/America/Canada/Japan
  • 1 season; 65 ep
  • Only released in English, which is available in a complete series DVD set in America.
    [Show spoiler]https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Jayce-and-the-Wheeled-Warriors-The-Complete-Series-DVD/134164/

Oban Star-Racers (2006) - France/Japan
  • 1 season; 26 ep
  • Originally released in French, but also available in Japanese and English.

Time Jam: Valerian & Laureline (2007-2008) - France/Japan
  • 1 season; 40 episodes
  • Originally released in French, followed by Japanese.
    Released in English in 2010 on Crunchyroll; the only language option on the Sentai Filmworks DVD release.

To Be Hero (2016) / To Be Heroine (2018) - China/Japan
  • 2 seasons: 12 ep / 7 ep; 19 total
  • Originally released in Chinese, but also available in Japanese with English subtitles on Crunchyroll.

Last edited by zenpai; 04-03-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: master post
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (04-04-2019), Gouki (04-04-2019), NLScavenger (12-11-2018), professorwho (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

To Be Hero and To Be Heroine

A Chinese-Japanese co-production. Originally in Chinese, but also dubbed over in Japanese, but seeing as both were made at the same time, it’s hard to say one is the original original language.

Series is unbelievably well animated with a lot of sakuga. The Japanese version is edited, with some stuff cut out and sometimes animations are sped up to shorten the runtime.

It’s on Crunchyroll- In Japanese, I believe. (Haven’t checked, nor have I even seen it, so I can’t say for sure)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Mutafukaz (2017) is a movie that adapts Guillaume "Run" Renards comic book of the same name. Its a co-production between the French Ankama Animations (Wakfu, Dofus) and the Japanese Studio 4C (Mind Game, Tekkonkinkreet). The original language is presumably French. It received a dubbed cinema release in Japan in October.

The title of the movie was changed to M F K Z in English speaking territories for obvious reasons. Its not out on home video yet, but Manga UK will release it on Blu-ray in February with French/Japanese/English audio. The US BD will be released by GKIDS.

I cant speak for the Japanese or English versions, but Ive seen the French version with English subtitles at a film festival. The voice acting was good from what I remember

French trailer

Japanese trailer

English trailer
Thanks given by:
professorwho (12-11-2018), zenpai (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Oct 2016
EU (Belgium)

The Red-turtle (2016) is a French-Belgian-japanese movie directed by a Dutch director : Michael Dudok de Wit.

The movie is a cooperation between European animators/director and the famous studio Ghibli.
The movie was first released in France.
It's a really really good movie I recommend it.

Trailer
Thanks given by:
professorwho (12-11-2018), zenpai (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #5

Dec 2016

Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation

both chinese animations which are great
Old 12-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

Feb 2015
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
Mutafukaz (2017) is a movie that adapts Guillaume "Run" Renards comic book of the same name. Its a co-production between the French Ankama Animations (Wakfu, Dofus) and the Japanese Studio 4C (Mind Game, Tekkonkinkreet). The original language is presumably French. It received a dubbed cinema release in Japan in October.

The title of the movie was changed to M F K Z in English speaking territories for obvious reasons. Its not out on home video yet, but Manga UK will release it on Blu-ray in February with French/Japanese/English audio. The US BD will be released by GKIDS.

I cant speak for the Japanese or English versions, but Ive seen the French version with English subtitles at a film festival. The voice acting was good from what I remember
I actually saw MFKZ in English dub when it was in theaters around October. I didnt know that it was a French collaboration. It felt like it could have been a Spanish collab imo. I thought the movie was good, but kind of psychedelic? I wish they could have kept the title but sadly I understand why they couldnt. Regardless, Ill definitely be buying the GKids release once it is out.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post

French trailer

Japanese trailer

English trailer
Okay, so since Manga UK cancelled the UK BD release of this, I picked up the US disc from Go Peachy.

1. It's Region A locked (as expected)
2. The French audio track is in DTS-HD-MA 5.1, not lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 as advertised. Yay!
3. Regardless of what audio track you select, the opening titles are in English and list the English voice cast. The French cast are however credited at the very end of the end credits.
4. The 'Making of MFKZ' is 53 minutes long, and well worth a watch.
5. The French trailer is available alongside the standard US dubbed green and red-band trailers.
Thanks given by:
NLScavenger (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:07 AM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

Animatrix (pretty obvious)

FLCL Alternative and Progressive Toonami and Production IG. IGPX also.

Big O Season 2 Sunrise with Adult Swim Co-Producing it

Madhouse works with the U.S. quite a bit like the Marvel Anime Series for X-Men, Iron Man, Blade and Wolverine that were 1st shown on Animax before coming to America plus a couple of movies Iron Man and Avengers.

Thundercats 2011 Studio 4C worked with Warner Brothers quite a bit.

Transformers The Movie Hasbro and Toei which also included G.I. Joe The Movie (with the TV Series for both). My Little Pony The Movie as well(the old movie). Transformers Robots In Disguise, Armada/Energon/Cybertron.

I know the 2nd half of my listings are not really Anime but with just American series that Japan worked hard on and more than just a nod.

Last edited by MOONPHASE; 04-05-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #9

Oct 2014

Mighty Orbots is an oddly compelling collaboration. Its cartoonish robots combine into a Japanese looking robot. Better yet, a few of the voice actors went on to become iconic to TMNT fans.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:19 AM   #10

Feb 2015
Utah

I was not necessarily going for America/Japan collaborations, although if there is interest I can definitely make a separate section in the master post specifically geared toward America/Japan-only collabs.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #11

Oct 2014

Does the part out of Kill Bill count?
Old 04-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

The Zavvi Steelbook for The Red Turtle is down to 10 Quid right now.
Yes, sadly, it's Region B.
It also includes the OST.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #13

Feb 2015
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
The Zavvi Steelbook for The Red Turtle is down to 10 Quid right now.
Yes, sadly, it's Region B.
It also includes the OST.
I assume the OST disc is not region locked? For that price I may get it just for the OST and sell the rest of the set.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

^^ I just ordered it, so I won't know until it arrives.
Others here may though, it's been out for a while.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #15

Aug 2011

The Mysterious Cities of Gold France/Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_My...Cities_of_Gold
Thanks given by:
zenpai (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpai View Post
I assume the OST disc is not region locked? For that price I may get it just for the OST and sell the rest of the set.
There is only 1 Blu-ray included.
I own it as well, but haven't opened/watched it. OST may be included as an extra, idk?!
In any case BD is of course region locked.
EDIT: Just looked it up on dvdcompare. No extra like that. No idea what Gorgon meant. The movie doesn't seem to have spoken dialogue.

OST seems to be included in the French Limited Edition though.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpai View Post
I was not necessarily going for America/Japan collaborations, although if there is interest I can definitely make a separate section in the master post specifically geared toward America/Japan-only collabs.
Theres also Miraculous Ladybug & Cat Noir with Toei and France. Though other than a teaser promo that uses different artstyle than the actual series, its hard to tell if it really counts since they thought it was cheaper to use 3D CGI in France rather than 2D Animation from Japan that the promo used. Plus they probably thought that 3D CGI would interest todays kids over the 2D. But Toei is still credited.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
There is only 1 Blu-ray included.
I own it as well, but haven't opened/watched it. OST may be included as an extra, idk?!
In any case BD is of course region locked.
EDIT: Just looked it up on dvdcompare. No extra like that. No idea what Gorgon meant. The movie doesn't seem to have spoken dialogue.

OST seems to be included in the French Limited Edition though.
From the Zavvi advert: (re The SteelBook)

" The Red Turtle Limited Edition Steelbook. Region B Blu Ray. Bonus Features The Secrets Of The Red Turtle. Soundtrack: 5.1 Dolby Digital (Dialogue Free).From acclaimed director Michal Dudok de Wit, and produced by the legendary Academy Award-winning animation house Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away), comes a magical castaway story that combines beauty, nature and mystery. Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated feature, The Red Turtle is a stunning and touching animation about the transience of life.

Discs = 2"

Now, I may be reading this wrong, as I understand the movie has no (or little) dialogue anyway.
As I mentioned, I've ordered it and will need to await delivery to see what's what.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #19

Feb 2015
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
From the Zavvi advert: (re The SteelBook)

" The Red Turtle Limited Edition Steelbook. Region B Blu Ray. Bonus Features The Secrets Of The Red Turtle. Soundtrack: 5.1 Dolby Digital (Dialogue Free).

Discs = 2"

Now, I may be reading this wrong, as I understand the movie has no (or little) dialogue anyway.
As I mentioned, I've ordered it and will need to await delivery to see what's what.
I just watched an unboxing video for the Zavvi Steelbook, and it is indeed only one blu-ray disc. I believe what you thought was a Soundtrack is actually the audio for the movie. The movie has no dialogue but does contain music, which is heard via Dolby Digital 5.1 (also why it says Dialogue Free).

Sorry to say, but you may be a little disappointed friend.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

^^ Disappointed, with info provided by ZAVVI ???
Say it ain't so!

Ah, well, looking forward to the film regardless.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime