Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$249.95

Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
Mad Men: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$77.12

Your Name (Blu-ray)
$59.99
12 hrs ago
The Silent Partner (Blu-ray)
$19.98
16 hrs ago
Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Aquaman (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.46
18 hrs ago
Klute (Blu-ray)
$27.37

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Apr 2018
Default Yamaha presence speakers confusion

Thought I would have a look at the RXA880 manual I am thinking of buying.

Regarding the presence speakers, it says they can be used as front heights, overhead and dolby enabled (upward firing speakers placed at the front) But on another page it says that presence speakers aren't used with Dolby Atmos.

Does this mean that when they are used as front heights they are used as ambience for the various Yamaha dsp modes but work with dolby atmos and produce overhead sounds when used on the ceiling and dolby enabled.? In other words, they have two functions? I'm a bit confused. I haven't bought a av receiver for about 20 years and still use the ole Yamaha A2 so i'm a bit out of the loop.
Any advice appreciated

Last edited by Jimllfaxit; 04-12-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Special Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

I think the manual says that because it depends on how you decide to setup the system. You have the option to either do 7.1 + Zone 2, or do 5.1.2 + Zone 2. But that is about it. Of course, that is if you want to maximize the number of speakers, and you can always use less than that number. If you want to use heights for Atmos and DTS-X, then you need to do 5.1.2. If you stick to 7.1 or less, then you won't be able to use height effects.

Alternatively, I would recommend buying the Denon 4400H which can power a 5.1.4/7.1.2 system, and up to a 7.1.4 system if you add an amplifier later on, and the prices are actually very close to each other. The reason the 4400 is cheaper is because it is an older model (about a year by now), but it supports all the latest HDR flavors plus both Atmos and DTS-X.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX4400H-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B072Z6VT1C

I'm sure you can find it at similar prices at local dealers and other online stores.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #3

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
I think the manual says that because it depends on how you decide to setup the system. You have the option to either do 7.1 + Zone 2, or do 5.1.2 + Zone 2. But that is about it. Of course, that is if you want to maximize the number of speakers, and you can always use less than that number. If you want to use heights for Atmos and DTS-X, then you need to do 5.1.2. If you stick to 7.1 or less, then you won't be able to use height effects.

Alternatively, I would recommend buying the Denon 4400H which can power a 5.1.4/7.1.2 system, and up to a 7.1.4 system if you add an amplifier later on, and the prices are actually very close to each other. The reason the 4400 is cheaper is because it is an older model (about a year by now), but it supports all the latest HDR flavors plus both Atmos and DTS-X.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX4400H-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B072Z6VT1C

I'm sure you can find it at similar prices at local dealers and other online stores.
Yes, I have read good things about Denon receivers.
I was just confused as to what the presence speakers do as the Yamaha manual says you can place them in 3 different positions.Either at the front(as front height speakers) a little higher and wider than the main fronts,overhead (dolby atmos) and ontop of the main fronts (upward firing dolby enabled speakers for dolby atmos)
My confusion is using them as front heights as this isn't a dolby atmos position as far as I know. I'm thinking the front height position isn't for dolby atmos but for reverberation or ambience when using the DSP modes such as concert hall. So with my theory, if watching in Dolby Atmos with them enabled as front heights,they wouldn't produce any sound.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimllfaxit View Post
Yes, I have read good things about Denon receivers.
I was just confused as to what the presence speakers do as the Yamaha manual says you can place them in 3 different positions.Either at the front(as front height speakers) a little higher and wider than the main fronts,overhead (dolby atmos) and ontop of the main fronts (upward firing dolby enabled speakers for dolby atmos)
My confusion is using them as front heights as this isn't a dolby atmos position as far as I know. I'm thinking the front height position isn't for dolby atmos but for reverberation or ambience when using the DSP modes such as concert hall. So with my theory, if watching in Dolby Atmos with them enabled as front heights,they wouldn't produce any sound.
Front heights is definitely a position for an Atmos configuration. I used to have Yamaha receiver and thatís how I had my front Atmos: as front heights, and I could definitely hear effects coming through. The position options are just there to help produce the Atmos effect more effectively, as the angle changes depending on where the speaker is.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #5

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
Front heights is definitely a position for an Atmos configuration. I used to have Yamaha receiver and thatís how I had my front Atmos: as front heights, and I could definitely hear effects coming through. The position options are just there to help produce the Atmos effect more effectively, as the angle changes depending on where the speaker is.
Ah right. That makes things clearer. Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice.
Thanks given by:
samlop10 (04-17-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers