Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$20.67
11 hrs ago
Record of Lodoss War: OVA & Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Penguin Highway (Blu-ray)
$16.99

My Neighbor Totoro (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Ancient Magus' Bride: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$29.82

Mob Psycho 100: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.82

Attack on Titan: Season 3 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.79

Hunter × Hunter: Volume 5 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

DARLING in the FRANXX: Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99
17 hrs ago
Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Kämpfer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #1901
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
I'm a bit ignorant of Kickstarter and all that goes with it (stop laughing at the back) and would just like to know if Emma, Gunsmith Cats (which I both believe from what I have read have been completed) are or will be available for general purchase.

Thanks in advance.
They most likely will but might take a long time for a general release. It took “Bubnlegum Crisis” nearly 4 years before the general release.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #1902
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyan View Post
They most likely will but might take a long time for a general release. It took “Bubnlegum Crisis” nearly 4 years before the general release.
Bubblegum Crisis was available to purchase from AnimEigo until it sold out. You will be able to purchase Gunsmith Cats if you didn't back the Kickstarter, but you'll likely have to buy it from AnimEigo directly instead of a retailer like Amazon.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (04-10-2019), mikezilla2 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #1903
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Amako View Post
Bubblegum Crisis was available to purchase from AnimEigo until it sold out. You will be able to purchase Gunsmith Cats if you didn't back the Kickstarter, but you'll likely have to buy it from AnimEigo directly instead of a retailer like Amazon.
Thank you for the information.

Do AnimEigo ship internationally? I'm in the UK.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #1904
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Thank you for the information.

Do AnimEigo ship internationally? I'm in the UK.
Yes, Blu-rays heading for European destinations are delivered duty paid from a UK warehouse.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #1905

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezilla2 View Post
i sure as hell would Not !

imports are not Cheap my friend
What the heck does imports have to do with anything? Nowhere did I mention imports.

And how does selling both a a set and individually affect the pricing of the former?

I know it's not happening, but it's the only way I'd buy any of it. If it's multiple discs for maximum bitrate like Bubblegum Crisis was for the kickstarter version, it's at least feasible each part is on its own disc, and in that case why not sell it both ways? Given each part is so different with different character designers and art styles and general mood of the parts, there's gotta be someone besides me that only likes parts of it.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #1906

Feb 2015
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfx View Post
What the heck does imports have to do with anything? Nowhere did I mention imports.

Given each part is so different with different character designers and art styles and general mood of the parts, there's gotta be someone besides me that only likes parts of it.
mikezilla2 probably lives in a different country, so AnimEigo’s release would be an import for them.

Even though you’re right about the Parts being so different, anime is rarely sold in Parts in the US anymore because they generally do not sell nearly as well as Complete sets, both due to cost (3 separate parts would most likely end up being more expensive than one complete set) and the fact that separate releases take up more space. Most people pass on singles now and wait for more compact releases, whether it’s a complete series release instead of 2 parts, or 2 parts instead of 5 for longer series (FUNi’s FMA:B and hopefully in the future Black Clover). There simply is not enough demand for Part sets anymore, and companies don’t want to have to keep the singles for years beyond the complete sets and end up losing money by having to eventually clearance them out just to get rid of them. Especially smaller companies like AnimEigo cannot justify making part sets for the very few who would want them, when most people would prefer the complete set, even if they don’t like and wont watch certain parts of the set.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #1907
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
I'm a bit ignorant of Kickstarter and all that goes with it (stop laughing at the back) and would just like to know if Emma, Gunsmith Cats (which I both believe from what I have read have been completed) are or will be available for general purchase.
Gunsmith Cats is available for ordering now it looks like as AnimEigo is still working on production and have not started replication yet. They also have some stock of their other recent Kickstartered titles as well it looks like when I was looking at the site last night. Bubblegum Crisis was listed but that would be the new single-disc version.
Thanks given by:
vivablu (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #1908
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Wow, AnimEigo is still around?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #1909
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

Yep, they've been doing Kickstarters to release new product since Bubblegum Crisis in 2013. After that, they successfully funded and released Otaku no Video, Riding Bean, and Gunsmith Cats (upcoming) on BD.
Thanks given by:
vivablu (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #1910

Aug 2015
California

And as someone who has backed a decent amount of things on Kickstarter, AnimEigo's are some of the best I've joined as far as how they're handled and the communication. Robert and co. have done a great job on all their KS releases thus far.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #1911
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

The only thing I don't like about AnimEigo is that their releases take so long. The Riding Bean Blu-ray is a fine release, but it seems like it took them three years to release a 46 minute video that already had an HD master, a subtitle script, and a dub. They spend a lot of time on physical extras like patches, etc. I'm sure they will do a great job with Megazone 23, but I'm not expecting to have it in my hands until 2022 at the earliest.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #1912

Aug 2015
California

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about AnimEigo is that their releases take so long. The Riding Bean Blu-ray is a fine release, but it seems like it took them three years to release a 46 minute video that already had an HD master, a subtitle script, and a dub. They spend a lot of time on physical extras like patches, etc. I'm sure they will do a great job with Megazone 23, but I'm not expecting to have it in my hands until 2022 at the earliest.
That's true. The wait can be long, especially if there are small setbacks and whatnot. But I feel like Robert's usually been pretty upfront when it happens and the final releases are great.

I also like the system Robert uses for when people want to upgrade their pledge or even change around what bonuses they'll be getting. Never had any issues doing it with AnimEigo's projects, whereas I've seen on other projects companies / creators completely bungle that type of thing and ending up with a bunch of incorrect shipments.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:04 AM   #1913
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about AnimEigo is that their releases take so long. The Riding Bean Blu-ray is a fine release, but it seems like it took them three years to release a 46 minute video that already had an HD master, a subtitle script, and a dub.
Yes, if only Funimation had gotten it instead!

-- said no one. Ever.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #1914

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Must we bash Funimation in every thread, when no one even brought them up? I get it, they screw some things up, and every thing according to some here, but the constant bashing is really tiring.

My complaint here is very minor. I don't do kickstarters and wasn't even aware of Riding Bean and GSC anyway but bought both a couple of months ago. So I got RB already and GSC is coming soon. I'm patient anyway so don't care when it comes out, really. But it is slightly annoying that last month it was stated that GSC would ship this month, and now it's delayed to June because of a printing delay with the small artbook. Production problems happen but I'd prefer a date not being given before it is certain it's going to actually be met. No big deal though.

If it's only the artbook causing the delay also not sure if the versions without (like I ordered) could be shipped earlier.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:28 AM   #1915
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Must we bash Funimation in every thread, when no one even brought them up? I get it, they screw some things up, and every thing according to some here, but the constant bashing is really tiring.
My point was, given the choice between having Robert take a couple years to do a release with maxxed-out/triple-checked audio and video and having a more mainstream licensee get it and get it out the door in a few months with a slap-dash job, I know what I'd rather deal with.

It's not just the speed of production, it's about the rights. Funi getting a title and doing a bad job doesn't just end with their poor release, because Funi now holds the rights for that title. So the entire domestic fanbase is now stuck with that poor release for years before other companies even have an opportunity to try, if the original licensee decides they don't want to renew, and if the other companies still have interest in a title that old at that point.

I would really like a decent copy of Steins;Gate. That will probably never happen (without me importing a JDM copy and muxxing in my own subs) because the home video rights will not be dropped for a good decade by Funi at least. Without this exclusivity, we would get better product. Company A's releases are poor, but Company B's are better? Guess where the customers would go -- the free market wins.

Quote:
But it is slightly annoying that last month it was stated that GSC would ship this month, and now it's delayed to June because of a printing delay with the small artbook. Production problems happen but I'd prefer a date not being given before it is certain it's going to actually be met. No big deal though.
I think it's more about "setting expectations" for how long to ship they are planning at the inception of the project. The printing delay was not known because they likely thought it would be another digital print job. So you're now holding it against them they did not foresee that the results of their new KS would not match up to previous efforts? Damn them for being more successful!

Quote:
If it's only the artbook causing the delay also not sure if the versions without (like I ordered) could be shipped earlier.
They are also waiting for the last of the new manga. I can't remember if that was artbook material or separate.

Last edited by SeaFox; 04-11-2019 at 03:34 AM. Reason: typos
Thanks given by:
zenpai (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 02:40 AM   #1916

Mar 2019
my own personal hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
I think it's more about "setting expectations" for how long to ship they are planning at the inception of the project. The printing delay was not known because they likely thought it would be another digital print job. So you're now holding it against them they did not foresee that the results of their new KS would not match up to previous efforts? Damn them for being more successful!
No I'm holding it against them for telling me one month ago that it'd be shipping this month. One month from supposed release I think it's more than reasonable to know with certainty if it's coming that soon and if you don't know don't state that it is coming.

Morover, according to other posts here, in February a message was sent out stating it was shipping in March. That's before I ordered though so I don't know that for sure and only based my comment on the updates I have received.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:29 AM   #1917

Dec 2009

I'm not to worried on how long it takes. As long as I get it in the end that is all that matters to me.

I have like 3 KS's I'm still waiting for after delays.

Shining Song Starnova: Idol Anime Themed Visual Novel
ISLAND's English Game & Anime Debut
Grisaia: Phantom Trigger Anime Launch

I'm not sure what is going on with Kenichi Sonoda’s Bean Bandit New Anime Project KS.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:31 AM   #1918
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
No I'm holding it against them for telling me one month ago that it'd be shipping this month. One month from supposed release I think it's more than reasonable to know with certainty if it's coming that soon and if you don't know don't state that it is coming.
AnimEigo allowing people to buy into the project after the original Kickstarter may be to blame here.

They didn't realize it would be cheaper to do a regular offset-printing job instead of the planned digital print job because they did not know how big the print run would be -- since they are allowing people to continue to order-in all through the production and planning. Also, when they do these art books sometimes they secure new materials later on and the page count gets bumped up depending on funds available.
Because of this they have to wait until late in the game to price the print run out (so they have the most accurate numbers). That is where they discovered an old-school process with a longer turn-around would be better.

AnimEgo's Kickstarters have always been about quality over speed. If they can find a way to save a little on production or shipping here and there so they can invest more in other areas of the project, they will. There have also been some times they have weighed the benefits and not gone that route -- like I seem to remember the Riding Bean car models got shipped separate to not-delay the rest of the project going out to backers.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #1919
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Yes, you should always be prepared for anime Kickstarters to run 2-3 years for completion, that's just basically the going rate. I've backed about a dozen Anime Kickstarters over the past 6 years, and the very best ones to participate in are those run by Robert of AnimEigo, and Ann Yamamoto of Pied Piper (Time of Eve, Skip Beat!).
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (04-13-2019), neoz (04-11-2019), zenpai (04-11-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #1920

Dec 2009

Project Update #16: Be A Part Of The Grisaia: Phantom Trigger Anime Launch! by Frontwing Anime Team

Physical rewards status and more

Quote:
Hello again,

As we mentioned in the previous update, today we want to let you know more about the status of the English physical Blu-Ray version of Grisaia Phantom Trigger: The Animation and the rest of physical rewards.

The status of the physical merchandise is proceeding as expected: as we have shown you in previous updates, most of it is already produced and it’s currently being sent to our shipping providers. We will be showing you samples of the remaining ones very shortly.

However, management and production of the English dub that will be included on-disc has taken more time than we expected and that has affected the schedule and pushed the shipping for the physical version. We want to deeply apologize for yet another display of our lack of prevision.

Since we think it would be a big disservice that the backers who helped make this project become a reality do not have a chance to watch and enjoy the anime legally first, we will distribute codes for all backers very soon, before the anime launches on Steam.

We will announce more information about the Blu-ray new schedule and estimated shipping date as soon as we can.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
anime, kickstarter, manga, projects