Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

The Banana Splits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$249.95

Country Music (Blu-ray)
$80.32

Night Owl (Blu-ray)
$21.89
3 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Space: 1999: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76

From the Earth to the Moon (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$33.18

The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 07-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, and I have a lot of episodes from the first season to catch up on, but the way the ratings/stats for the first season have went, it's looking like The Magicians might not survive past the second season.

Ever since SyFy changed its format, they have hemorrhaged a lot of viewers in favor of their "reality TV" programming with shows like the WWE and non-sci-fi content.

Defiance, Sanctuary, SGU, Caprica, Helix ... these are just a few of the recent shows canceled by SyFy due to low ratings and it looks like The Expanse and The Magicians are next on the shopping block. The Expanse has lost over 50% of their viewers since the pilot episode debuted and The Magicians is in nearly the same shape, having lost 30% of its views, bottoming out at .68 (less than a million viewers with the season finale).

The only two shows that SyFy has, that are mildly entertaining is Dark Matter and Killjoys. I suspect that this is only due to the fact that it's produced by Canadians.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 AM   #22
Power Member

Jul 2011

Last edited by rashad30; 11-30-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

I'll watch it, but they are diverging so far from the books I don't think it will be nearly as good.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:18 AM   #24

Nov 2010
Shelby, NC

I don't know if I can watch the second season censored!!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

I was browsing through the tv section of the forum and this caught my eye. I try not to get attached to Syfy network shows Who knows when they will be canceled etc.

I'm glad I gave it ago. Deff enjoyable. Almost finished with the first season. Looking forward to the second!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #26
Power Member

Jul 2011

Last edited by rashad30; 11-30-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
Omegaice (01-22-2017)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #27
Special Member

Aug 2007
Clermont-Ferrand, France
Send a message via MSN to TheTenth

Was honestly irritated by Alice at the beginning, and came to the goofy things Olivia Taylor did and it helped warm to the character. This show is so great, and the progression of the disturbing / brutal elements was a good surprise.
The episode with the Russian guy was awesome.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:18 PM   #28
Power Member

Jul 2011

Last edited by rashad30; 12-15-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #29
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacsg1 View Post
I don't know if I can watch the second season censored!!
What is the difference? Thought it was just some cursing?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado View Post
What is the difference? Thought it was just some cursing?
As far as I remember, the uncensored BD was the same as broadcast apart from not having the cussing silenced out... honestly if they can't air it then they shouldn't even have it in the script because then they have to censor it out and it sounds dumb.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Just binged watched Season 1 on Netflix. Really enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. Never read the book/books, was the Season finale part of the book? Olivia...wow
Thanks given by:
Omegaice (01-22-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I don't understand why SyFy would censor the swearing. They aren't a broadcast network, they are a cable station, so they can get away with things like that. Generally speaking, cable stations aren't subject to the same rules regarding its programming that broadcast stations are. Swearing is one of those things that existed back prior to the 90's, which the FCC has become more relaxed upon. I think Comcast and NBC are behind this one. The censoring of language of their programming content, I mean.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
Just binged watched Season 1 on Netflix. Really enjoyed the show more than I thought I would. Never read the book/books, was the Season finale part of the book? Olivia...wow
The season finale diverges very hard from the books. Fair warning.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

I started watching the first season on Netflix. Nearly two episodes in, I am wondering just what the heck I am watching if it isn't some adult version of Harry Potter...barely. Haven't read the books, but...I am wondering if it gets more cohesive through the season.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
I don't understand why SyFy would censor the swearing. They aren't a broadcast network, they are a cable station, so they can get away with things like that. Generally speaking, cable stations aren't subject to the same rules regarding its programming that broadcast stations are. Swearing is one of those things that existed back prior to the 90's, which the FCC has become more relaxed upon. I think Comcast and NBC are behind this one. The censoring of language of their programming content, I mean.
Syfy says a fair amount of the 's' word but the BD had some f-bombs dropped from what I remember, which only premium cable and British shows in the UK get to say lol I just don't see why they have it in the script if they can't say it on screen.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAgent View Post
The season finale diverges very hard from the books. Fair warning.
I'm late to the bandwagon as well. How many books are there? Might just have to pick them up. The 1st season was very good. I'm sure the books are better.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Dunlap, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaughingMann View Post
I started watching the first season on Netflix. Nearly two episodes in, I am wondering just what the heck I am watching if it isn't some adult version of Harry Potter...barely. Haven't read the books, but...I am wondering if it gets more cohesive through the season.
Yeah, I described it was like a more Rated R Harry Potter.

I hadn't even heard of the books until the first season was nearly over.

Last edited by ChiefSequatchie; 01-04-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #38
Special Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSequatchie View Post
Yeah, I described it was like a more Rated R Harry Potter.

I hadn't even heard of the books until the first season was nearly over.
I would describe it like a much darker telling of catcher in the rye. None of the main characters are happy or well adjusted and the magic and other things represents quinten getting what he thinks he wants only to make his depression worse throughout.

Or a R rated version of Chronicles of Narnia since fillory was obviously a substitute for narnia. Like read the magicians nephew and the lion the witch and the wardrobe then the magicians and you can see that the magicians is a retelling of evil corrupting narnia and gods not being all good or nice in general. Basically everything relating to fillory is a parody of narnia.

Idk if I would recommend the books as they are almost 2 dark with every physical kid going though some sort of mental issue and julias story is even darker.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Just started this on Netflix, because, why not.

Very attractive women (all late 20's-early 30's portraying high school teens...but whatever). Reminds me of like Degrassi mixed with Harry Potter. Love the "Avada Kadavra" joke in episode 2.

One thing, they definitely just used the "F" word in episode 2. Was that beeped out while airing on SyFy? Or does that channel just not care anymore? I'd find it odd if they actually used an audible beep to censor a word...but I also find it odd that they would record different takes for an edited and unedited version of the scene.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post
Just started this on Netflix, because, why not.

Very attractive women (all late 20's-early 30's portraying high school teens...but whatever). Reminds me of like Degrassi mixed with Harry Potter. Love the "Avada Kadavra" joke in episode 2.

One thing, they definitely just used the "F" word in episode 2. Was that beeped out while airing on SyFy? Or does that channel just not care anymore? I'd find it odd if they actually used an audible beep to censor a word...but I also find it odd that they would record different takes for an edited and unedited version of the scene.
They use the s... word on SyFy but not the f... word. I like you only watched this on Netflix, so I'm not sure if they bleeped the words or if it was edited out. Will be watching Season 2 on SyFy starting next week.

By the way, they are actually in college...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows