Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.89

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

High School DxD Hero: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Endeavour: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$30.94

Outlander: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$40.79

Person of Interest: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$67.79

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Krypton: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$249.95

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #2361
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep5349 View Post
Yep, of course it does (mean a new time period ie the future), thatís how it was meant and thatís how almost all people will take it to be meant. Kemcha has a history of this kind of stuff.
Oh, don't I know it.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #2362
Power Member

Jan 2013

He’s had a few bans over the years for misbehaving. Best not to dwell.

Going back to the season 2 finale, I was trying to think if there have been other space battles in previous Star Trek TV shows that matched this one. I think the only ones that come close are The Sacrifice of Angels & The Way of the Warrior (both DS9), even then I don’t think those were quite as cinematic as this one.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #2363
Power Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post
That was cannon nobody wanted to ruin hjaha, But I would have settled for Majel!
I remember reading a Star Trek novel years ago (The Rift) set in the Pike era which featured brand new advanced computer voice modules, and Number Oneís voice patterns were imprinted upon the computer, which lead to her voice being used in future years, hence the computerís voice in TNG. Needless to say itís not cannon, but still a fun connection.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #2364
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Heís had a few bans over the years for misbehaving. Best not to dwell.

Going back to the season 2 finale, I was trying to think if there have been other space battles in previous Star Trek TV shows that matched this one. I think the only ones that come close are The Sacrifice of Angels & The Way of the Warrior (both DS9), even then I donít think those were quite as cinematic as this one.
It was an astonishing spectacle, I felt like I was watching an ST movie which is kinda what they were aiming for with the switch to 2.35 anamorphic anyway, but this one really rammed it home.
Thanks given by:
GregBlu5 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #2365
Power Member

Sep 2007
Indio, CA

Cutest Spock/male Vulcan ever?

The reveal reminded me of so many TV shows and movies where a plain-Jane female lead removes her glasses, lets down her hair and appears wearing an incredibly sexy gown--the transformation becomes stunning (i.e. Felicity Smoak on ARROW very early on).

Some actor's features seem made to look Vulcan. Ethan Peck is certainly one.

BTW, I remember years ago that Trekkers did not favor the term "Trekkies". But now that it's everywhere and been used for so many years, I guess they have surrendered?
Old 04-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #2366
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2015

"Trekkies" is fine. It's "Trekkers" that should be fired into a black hole, hopefully never to be seen again.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (04-22-2019), GregBlu5 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #2367
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

I loved the finale and how they tied it all together. The space battle was stunning.

Looking forward to the next season. For all we know the Federation may not even exist by that time. It's a lot of unknown and not retreading Trek history all over again.

I really want this series on UHD.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (04-22-2019), GregBlu5 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #2368
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
I loved the finale and how they tied it all together. The space battle was stunning.

Looking forward to the next season. For all we know the Federation may not even exist by that time. It's a lot of unknown and not retreading Trek history all over again.

I really want this series on UHD.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #2369
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Thanks given by:
i007spectre (04-22-2019), yanksno1 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #2370
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I'm not saying that it has to be an alternate timeline but the only story ideas that haven't been touched upon on a season long basis is the Mirror Universe (which has sported an episode or three in each Star Trek series) and an alternate dimension. Oops, made an error, Star Trek Discovery is an alternate universe. I stand corrected.

But, one thing I noticed is that it was confirmed that the third season will take place 9,500 years into the future, which places it far beyond the timelines of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. It's also been hinted at that Starfleet might not exist in the timeline they will find themselves in when they finally arrive.

The idea has possibilities, but that type of storytelling has been told before. Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, farscape, Lexx, firefly ... where civilizations were sparse and it was more like the wild west than the future that's portrayed in the various Star Trek shows.

Quote:
Yep, of course it does (mean a new time period ie the future), thatís how it was meant and thatís certainly what people will take it to be mean. But this is Kemcha, he has history when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Well, it's true that I've had a few bans. Mostly, for going off the rails. The most recent was because I was voicing my opinion about Captain and the Disney Star Wars films having been injected with too much SJW. Let's just say, I'm done with all of that. No more controversy coming from me. Learned my lesson.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:04 AM   #2371
Expert Member

Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England

I'm not sure you know what "alternate" means...
Old 04-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #2372
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post

jury's still out on that, but, you still DA MAN!
Thanks given by:
cynatnite (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #2373
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
But, one thing I noticed is that it was confirmed that the third season will take place 9,500 years into the future, which places it far beyond the timelines of TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager.
One too many zeroes. Season 3 will be 950 years in the future.
Thanks given by:
Josep5349 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #2374

Feb 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
One too many zeroes. Season 3 will be 950 years in the future.
Won't it be 930 years in the future, which is what Burnham sets new coordinates for Terralysium for, because her mother went 950 yrs in the future, 20 years prior?

I probably need to revisit the finale... there was a lot going on.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #2375
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havenbull View Post
Won't it be 930 years in the future, which is what Burnham sets new coordinates for Terralysium for, because her mother went 950 yrs in the future, 20 years prior?

I probably need to revisit the finale... there was a lot going on.
That is correct, Burnham’s mum was sent 950 years into the future in the 2230s so to end up at the same point in time they went 930 years into the future so hopefully they would encounter each other again in 3186/3187.

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 04-22-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #2376
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
League City, TX

Somebody help me. What did Burnham and Spock land on, away from the battle, so that she could do her thing? It looked like the hull of some ship.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #2377
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by goresnet View Post
Somebody help me. What did Burnham and Spock land on, away from the battle, so that she could do her thing? It looked like the hull of some ship.
I assumed it was a piece of debris from the ongoing battle, when ships blow the pieces go out in all directions so just because it was away from the battle it doesn’t mean it didn’t originate from there.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #2378
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
League City, TX

That's what I was leaning towards, but I thought I might have missed an explanation. Thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #2379

Jan 2016

Did not expect any of this; the very few marketed materials I saw did an injustice, by not showing just how great this was.

Beautiful filming. Excellent score. Closest to the original material. Very Fringe and even Persons of Interest (maybe even Battle Star Galactical) inspired -- all my favorite shows. Really enjoying CBS all access trial a lot.
Thanks given by:
captveg (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #2380

May 2009

What I feel makes good Star Trek,
Picard: The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth, or historical truth, or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based, and if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and tell the truth about what happened, you don't deserve to wear that uniform.
What I feel makes bad Star Trek,
Spock: I like science-
Er...
Spock: I saw Discovery explode. The destruction of Discovery was tragic, but does not in and of itself resolve the issue. Even more radical steps must be taken to ensure that type of scenario never repeats itself. Regulation 157 Section 3 requires Starfleet officers officers to abstain from participating in historical events. Any residual trace or knowledge of Discovery's data or the time suit offers a foothold for those who might not see how critical, how deeply critical that directive is. Therefore to ensure the Federation never finds itself facing the same danger, all officers remaining with knowledge of these events must be ordered never to speak of Discovery, it's Spore drive or her crew again under penalty of treason.
So that's how you connect Star Trek: Discovery with the rest of canon. By depicting Starfleet as a lying organization that believes ignorance is better than knowledge. That the only way to prevent horrible events like what we've seen all series long is to never speak of them again. It's funny how Spock's recommendation mentioned 'under penalty of treason' as though that was a surefire way to prevent officers from doing what you don't want them to do.

Bull freaking crap.

Are we forgetting what kind of a series we're dealing with here? Forget all the instances in Star Trek's history where highly decorated Starfleet officers (including Admirals) committed acts of treason. Just look at Discovery itself. This series had it's main character Michael commit mutiny in the very first episode. And now this series is telling us that everyone involved (Including the Klingons and Kelpiens for some reason) will never divulge any information because they were told if they did so, it would be treasonous.

This is... This is like a show telling it's audience to feel sorry for a kid because he's an orphan even though earlier we saw that same kid was the one who murdered his parents. The people running Discovery either don't even know how their own show works or they don't care. And unlike all the other Star Trek series where inconsistencies could be attributed to growing pains, Discovery comes off as staggeringly incompetent. There is no respect for their own material, no respect for the franchise from which it's based on and no respect towards the audience that is watching it.

So in the end, the only good thing that came from this episode is this little tid bit from Spock, which I believe should be as common "Live long and Prosper".
Spock: all officers remaining with knowledge of these events must be ordered never to speak of Discovery, it's Spore drive or her crew again under penalty of treason
Thanks given by:
goresnet (04-24-2019), trevanian (04-25-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows