Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.50

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 05-05-2016, 03:50 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Well Journey to Space has the first UHD SDR content, having both HDR and SDR encodes on the disc. Will be interesting to compare the difference.

I think that would be a good solution for older catalog as well. Instead of having a regular BD/UHD combo pack, have one disc be the HDR version and the other the SDR version. Then everyone will be happy.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #42
Expert Member

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames. View Post
Well Journey to Space has the first UHD SDR content, having both HDR and SDR encodes on the disc. Will be interesting to compare the difference.

I think that would be a good solution for older catalog as well. Instead of having a regular BD/UHD combo pack, have one disc be the HDR version and the other the SDR version. Then everyone will be happy.
Agreed. I'd imagine that's cost-prohibitive which is probably why they don't do it. That and it would probably confuse buyers unaware of all this stuff. If HDR were an On/Off sort of thing I think it'd be even better though I'm not sure something like that is possible.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

For people with HDR. I understand that the content has much lower brightness output than SDR. Do you notice this?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #44

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
For people with HDR. I understand that the content has much lower brightness output than SDR. Do you notice this?
I have included that link in #4 post, here you will find answer to your question
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #45
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
Not much lower, midtones are similar as explained here with pictorial illustration….
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...s#post12140170

For example, running an analysis on The Lego Movie (blue being HDR, red being SDR)…..

Old 05-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #46

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel86ck View Post
I have included that link in #4 post, here you will find answer to your question
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-vs-201604104279.htm
Not you pawel (nor kristoffer), but generally it’s rather ironic that for a long, long time viewers who’ve proudly considered themselves *videophiles* on just about every home theater enthusiast website in social media have been lecturing other viewers, arguably in a snobbish fashion at times, that the proper (intended) way to watch movies was in nearly complete darkness or with very little ambient light (like is done in mastering facilities with SDR - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...ng#post8865354 )

and all of a sudden, videophiles are now complaining that they won’t be able to watch their HDR Blu-ray movies in “daytime”?

Sheesh!

Quickly scrolling down to the bottom of the article and the conclusion with the quote “For HDR, the industry is considering 5 nits (cd/m2) to be a desirable surround luminance level”

This is true, for those with qualified access, see Table 3 of
http://www.itu.int/md/R15-SG06-C-0039

In fact, 5 nits surround luminance was used as a viewing environment parameter months ago as noted in Contributions (by non celebrity video gururs) to the respective Working Party in ITU to help BBC determine what the best system gamma would shake out for HLG….

Last edited by Penton-Man; 05-06-2016 at 02:14 AM. Reason: added 'nor kristoffer'
Old 05-06-2016, 02:16 AM   #47

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
...determine what the best system gamma would shake out for HLG….
pretty much settling on 1.2 for 1,000 nits
Old 05-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #48

Apr 2007

HLG and PQ (SMPTE ST 2084) can and are coexisting at different levels of the production pipeline….. http://www.sony.jp/pro-monitor/produ...erup.html#0427
Old 05-08-2016, 12:58 AM   #49

Apr 2007

Quote:
HLG and PQ (SMPTE ST 2084)...
both of which will also be supported (see Features tab here...http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-mon...oduct-PVMX550/) , on its new partner, the PVM-X550….
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mja...youtu.be&t=29s
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 AM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

A representative HDR/SDR graph showing how HDR simply extends the SDR range and doesn't change the range curve. The vast majority of the picture is within the SDR (100 nit) range.

Whatever your peak nit level in your TV, then you can just draw another vertical line there.

Chart is from Light Illusion

Last edited by bruceames; 05-08-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:06 AM   #51

Apr 2007

I’ve expressed misgivings about other aspects of that Light Illusion white paper which are plainly incorrect or at the minimum, misleading….https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...n#post12107778

but I like the histogram they are using to make their point.

P.S.
Since it's in their neck of the woods it would be nice if they showed up to contribute something original at HPA UK....http://www.hollywoodprofessionalasso...page_id=146605

Last edited by Penton-Man; 05-09-2016 at 02:09 AM. Reason: added a P.S.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:28 AM   #52

Apr 2007

Although as expressed last March, I’m more of a proponent of ST 2094 Application #1, as previously noted –
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...4#post12007747

Here is a visual illustration for Samsung’s 2094 Application regarding the value of dynamic metadata as covered by a member of the press corps at the last NAB….

https://vimeo.com/164619204
Thanks given by:
ray0414 (05-09-2016), Richard Paul (05-11-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:07 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
Although as expressed last March, I’m more of a proponent of ST 2094 Application #1, as previously noted –
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...4#post12007747

Here is a visual illustration for Samsung’s 2094 Application regarding the value of dynamic metadata as covered by a member of the press corps at the last NAB….

https://vimeo.com/164619204

Great video sir.

A very important thing to come from that video is that he's been told that samsung tvs will be upgraded via FW to handle dynamic metadata. That certainly gives hope to alot of current hdr tv owners.

Edit: and another question. Will the Samsung 4k blu ray player be able to be apart of that chain with a FW update too?

Last edited by ray0414; 05-09-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #54
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

Definitely a great video. So forgive my ignorance here, but isn't HDR 10 static and Dolby Vision dynamic? So in other words with this firmware update, we will get Dymanic metadata that I presume will look better than HDR 10?
Old 05-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

So HDR10 dynamic is a thing now? That's great news, but wouldn't that compete with Dolby Vision? He says that Dolby was involved with developing this, can that be right? I thought it was just Phillips and Technicolor.

Also great news if it can be updated via firmware to Samsung players.

Last edited by bruceames; 05-09-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
So HDR10 dynamic is a thing now? That's great news, but wouldn't that compete with Dolby Vision? He says that Dolby was involved with developing this, can that be right? I thought it was just Phillips and Technicolor.

Even though Dolby Vision and HDR10 Dynamic become more similar, DV still has the advantage, because it still has the ability to remap to the capabilities of the display (display mapper), where as HDR10 Dynamic, is focused on improving the overall image regardless of the display.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #57
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:

I could be wrong but I think even 2084 HDR is basically a Dolby development at its core, so if they're involved with the nuts and bolts of the signalling of dynamic metadata then it's not a surprise. It's not really about 'competing standards' but putting a standard in place in general that the entire industry can use, then Dolby will branch off and do their own branded thing with their own added special sauce.

It'll be interesting to see if the players (not just Samsung ) can be updated with 2094 in any way and can interpret it at the source level, i.e. to internally produce a dynamic SDR remapped output instead of relying on the player's best guess.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:

The dynamic metadata for hdr10 has been submitted for approval and theres no reason it won't pass. Dolby developed hdr in general. The word is if hdr10 does switch to dynamic metadata then the 2 types on calibrated tvs would be almost indistinguishable.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The dynamic metadata for hdr10 has been submitted for approval and theres no reason it won't pass. Dolby developed hdr in general. The word is if hdr10 does switch to dynamic metadata then the 2 types on calibrated tvs would be almost indistinguishable.
Well HDR10 static will be required in any case. It's just a question of which dynamic layer will ride on top. Can't be both DV and HDR10 dynamic, can it?

And if they use HDR10 dynamic instead of DV on discs, will that really be a good thing for people who have DV TVs?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
Well HDR10 static will be required in any case. It's just a question of which dynamic layer will ride on top. Can't be both DV and HDR10 dynamic, can it?

And if they use HDR10 dynamic instead of DV on discs, will that really be a good thing for people who have DV TVs?

Those are good questions and when the time is right in will ask the right people once they become informed on the new standards.

But I'm pretty sure that if samsungs hdr10 tvs can be updated, all other brands can too. So we'll all need to know those answers.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology