Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Doors 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.09
8 hrs ago
Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
11 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
8 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.50

Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Stand by Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.95
7 hrs ago
Kingsman: The Secret Service 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 07-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD
Default Sony introduces high-end ZD9 TV series with HDR

Sony introduces high-end ZD9 TV series with HDR

Sony announced today at a press event in London announced a host of new TVs for the Dutch and Belgian market. In addition to several new Bravia TVs with Ultra HD and HDR (high dynamic range), the Japanese manufacturer with premium ZD9 series. This TV has the new Backlight Master Drive technology.

https://translate.google.com/transla...r/&prev=search

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbrz9d-series/
Thanks given by:
goldenarm84 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Banned

Jun 2010

Event in London, TV for Dutch and Belgian market?
Old 07-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Looks like I'll keep my powder dry for a while longer re: getting an HDR TV. I spent £3.3K on my 4K TV (this is when they first came out), I might have to do the same when the ZD's arrive.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Hope it's ok to post this, but I'm so excited to see this display launch and I just got the OK to take pre-order and put it on our website. Sony also listed our store as the recommended authorized dealer in our region.

Hope to get our allocation qty for each size tomorrow!
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (07-21-2016), goldenarm84 (07-21-2016), K i r a (07-23-2016), Opips3 (07-20-2016), ray0414 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Would have been better if this thread was "Sony introduces their UHD Blu-ray Player"
Thanks given by:
Dirk504 (07-21-2016), K i r a (07-23-2016), SixSpeedSamurai (07-21-2016), SteelPen (07-21-2016), uther (07-22-2016), zmarty (07-22-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbee87 View Post
Would have been better if this thread was "Sony introduces their UHD Blu-ray Player"
They're still extremely quiet on that front but then they're simply not impressed by physical UHD media, they wants it all to go through their online services. Fingers crossed they come up with something next year though.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

At the Culver City event….."We believe 4k HDR will be the next big wave. Sooner or later most of our customers will be aware that HDR is better." (spokesperson for Sony Visual Products which is a subsidiary of Sony Corp…… http://vr-zone.com/articles/sony-vis...ess/79844.html)

Awareness with discrete LED control on the right (for illustration rather than accurate depiction)….

Perhaps another shootout is in order....Robert, ever think of making your gatherings biannual?
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-21-2016), zmarty (07-22-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
BD & UHD Insider

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Perhaps another shootout is in order....Robert, ever think of making your gatherings biannual?
He's a step ahead of you
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...04&postcount=9
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbee87 View Post
I believe Sony will introduce their UHD Blu-ray player with the upgraded PS4. Based upon the price point of the XBox One and the revised PS4 many people will be be thinking the PS4 is a better buy (as they did when the PS3 was release with a Blu-ray player). As UHD player prices fall they can then release a dedicated UHD Blu-ray player.
Thanks given by:
zmarty (07-22-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #10
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Just got my allocation dates for the 65" and 75" Z9Ds! August 8th for the XBR-65Z9D and August 30th for the XBR-75Z9D.

No exact date for the 100" Z9D, but likely 1st week of November, 2016.

Here's the Technical Specifications explained, download the .pdf here.
Thanks given by:
K i r a (07-23-2016), Opips3 (07-21-2016), PaulGo (07-23-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #11

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I believe Sony will introduce their UHD Blu-ray player with the upgraded PS4. Based upon the price point of the XBox One and the revised PS4 many people will be be thinking the PS4 is a better buy (as they did when the PS3 was release with a Blu-ray player). As UHD player prices fall they can then release a dedicated UHD Blu-ray player.
I hope you're right.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
Banned

Mar 2015

the 65" and 75" Z9Ds are sexy! I like it.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #13

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themax View Post
Thanks . Good to hear.
Can’t be everywhere all the time.

So, it’s on…..

Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #14

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Just got my allocation dates for the 65" and 75" Z9Ds! August 8th for the XBR-65Z9D and August 30th for the XBR-75Z9D....
Impressive.
Unless things change, that beats the delivery date for those TVs to Video & Audio Center out hereabouts in SoCal.

I hope you YouTube the new shootout event for us west coasters and others unable to attend.

Sorry to just hear that with regards to your last shootout in NYC, you and/or your methodology were not treated very well at all by some members on another audio video forum. I heard things got quite out of hand. It’s amazing the emotions your shootouts generate in some quarters and makes me wonder if the bad actors work for a living….or, if they do, if they have ‘real’ (as in busy) jobs. Oh well, good luck with this one.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #15
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

One member was the troublemaker on the other forum and the forum made it very easy for him since I could not reply. Bad and unfair journalism on behalf of the form and the poster.

The methodology was fine and well respected and our 2016 TV Shootout was a great success, run by Joel Silver, Jeff and Matt Murray with 3 out of the 5 TVs calibrated by David Mackenzie. My personal 500M Kuro was optimized and beautifully calibrated by D-Nice "DeWayne Davis. Jeff and Matt Murray calibrated the Vizio.

Everything was done to SMPTE and ITU specs and by the top experts using the most accurate perfectly calibrated tools.

The trouble maker was unhappy that his favorite TV did not do well and that it has a manufacturer's defect with one of the LEDs in the upper left corner non functioning.
Thanks given by:
zmarty (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
That's great for die hard gamer's, but I haven't been a gamer since the first Xbox.... It's rare when I do play a game, and when I do it's on my PC. I'd rather have a standalone UHD Blu-ray player from Sony than a gaming system with one built in and never have any use for the gaming side of it.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
They're still extremely quiet on that front but then they're simply not impressed by physical UHD media, they wants it all to go through their online services. Fingers crossed they come up with something next year though.
Eh? Sony is putting out UHD BDs. It's the hardware side Sony has been shedding which used to be a hell of lot more then a game console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
The trouble maker was unhappy that his favorite TV did not do well and that it has a manufacturer's defect with one of the LEDs in the upper left corner non functioning.
OLEDs will always burst their bubbles.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #18

Aug 2007

Am I missing something here.. with the hype, this TV still doesn't decode Dolby Vision.. who would pay £4000 + for a TV that doesn't encompass the next big thing in the HDR format?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #19
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
Eh? Sony is putting out UHD BDs. It's the hardware side Sony has been shedding which used to be a hell of lot more then a game console.
What I meant is the hardware, sorry. Sony still have a huge vested interest in disc replication so I guess they figured they might as well join the party as far as software goes, but no other CE company was as down on 4K Blu-ray's chances as much as Sony was so their lack of a UHD player came as no surprise to me at all. Kaz Hirai - you know, the chairman of the ****ing board - even said in an interview that he didn't see 4K's future being "physical media", while at the same time studios like Fox were very bullish about its prospects.

Bottom line: Sony have been pushing their own 4K OTT services since the beginning (which again is clear from the above verge piece) and ultimately that's what they'd rather be doing. Their legacy attachments to disc replication mean that they still have some skin in the game but discs are now an afterthought to them, they were crushed that Blu-ray didn't turn into the next golden goose: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...pointment.html
Old 07-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
Power Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Am I missing something here.. with the hype, this TV still doesn't decode Dolby Vision.. who would pay £4000 + for a TV that doesn't encompass the next big thing in the HDR format?
Dolby Vision is not needed on a high end 4K TVs only lower quality 4K TVs can benefit from Dolby Vision.

Quote:
In other words, Dolby Vision pulled ahead of HDR10 4K Blu-ray when the display featured suboptimal peak brightness/ colour volume/ tone-mapping, but the gap was closed to negligible levels by a high-end HDR TV with 1000+ nit peak luminance and accurate tone-mapping. Future developments like dynamic metadata for HDR10 (as demonstrated by Samsung at NAB 2016) may level the playing field or even swing things in favour of the open standard.

Perhaps the greatest appeal of Dolby Vision is the promise of high-quality HDR performance on low-cost and midrange televisions, allowing shrewd video enthusiasts to save some money in the pursuit of better home cinema experience, though any possible savings may be partially offset by the potentially higher prices of DV-enabled Ultra HD Blu-ray players (due to the licensing fees payable to Dolby Laboratories) when they’re launched. Exciting (if uncertain) times ahead…
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dolby...1606214303.htm
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology