Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.89

Supergirl: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$33.18

Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.30

Rescue Me: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.45

Space: 1999: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76

One Piece: Episode of East Blue: Luffy and His Four Friends' Great Adventure (Blu-ray)
$25.85

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.96

The Blacklist: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 12-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #1

Aug 2008
Saarland, Germany
Default Netflix's "The OA" (Season 1)

I don't think there is a thread yet for this show.

All 8 episodes were released a couple of weeks ago without much promotion on Netflix. I checked the first one out and couldn't stop watching after that. The show plays more like one very long movie. It was the first show in a very long time that managed to pull me in completely.

It's kind of hard to descripe what it is about without spoiling to much. Basically a woman that has been missing since her late teen years reappears and tells her life's story to four other people. I know it doesn't sound to interesting but the twists and turns the story takes kept me infront of the TV for more then 8 hours.

From reading about the show online there seems to be a "Love it or hate it"-mentality about it. I'm clearly in the first camp. For me it's a masterpiece.

Anyone else here watched it yet? What do you think?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:04 AM   #2

Sep 2015
Texas

I just finished watching this yesterday. I thought it was really good. Very baffling, disorienting. I'm going to have to watch it again soon. I think I'm going to like it even better the second time.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Power Member

Mar 2007
Noblesville, IN

its an oddball for sure. I have mixed feelings
Old 01-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

I find it a little curious there isn't more discussion about this show - I liked it quite a bit. I avoided internet chatter until after I watched it, and was a little surprised about how divisive the ending was, although I can understand why that's the case, having thought about it a little more.

Admittedly, the first episode didn't really hook me in, but I stuck with it and really got into the show by the 3rd episode. The concept of the show, as well as the themes it explores, really resonated with me.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

Oct 2011

I really enjoyed this show and thought it and was very well done.
Definitely not for everyone. I thought it was a masterpiece, as well.

If you liked this show, check out Zal Batmanglij and Brit Marling's film "Sound of My Voice".
Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Sep 2011

Liked the first half, but during the second half it went off the rails completely, IMO. Unless you're fully invested in the show and willing to buy whatever they're selling you the final few twists and plot developments will not work for you. Binge with caution and an open mind.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #7

Sep 2008

I think this was the stupidest ****ing show I've ever seen.

Haven't posted in in like 5 years, but just wanted to get that out there.
Thanks given by:
judremy (01-20-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Just started watching this, and I'm on episode 4.

I'm really annoyed that the "hippie" character is putting up such a big fuss about sucking in the knockout gas. Twice he has said "I'm not going to poison my lungs", yet in an earlier episode he says how much he misses coffee and cigarettes.

So which are you? A hippie that wants to have a pure, healthy life? Or a bearded hipster that loves his cigarettes?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006

Dunno, it was weird to say the least. As far as I understand(based on reviews and other articles) the movements were deliberately designed to look silly, but why? What does that add to the show?
And at the end,
[Show spoiler]I am not sure I understand what did the 5th movement(was it 5th or something random or combo?) do other than simply distracting the shooter(which could be accomplished by equally random hand flailing), or why it is being credited as some sort of miracle? I thought the last movement was the one to open the portal or interdimensional tunnel or whatever it was, to allow our angel to go through to others, but apparently no, all we had was a confused shooter and bullet to the chest of the said angel. That is if you buy into the angel theory. Instead we have what, a magic movement designed to distract active shooters in the schools or a generic distraction movement? Might as well jump the shooter as a team, chances are only one will get shot, as it happened. Actually compared to standing still(being a stationary target) and waiving hands, swarming does seem a better idea.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 AM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Lah’mu

I just watched the first episode.

Wow!

You have my attention.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #11
Power Member

Mar 2013

Just finished the season and loved it. First three episodes or so were a bit slow and then I was hooked as it kept getting weirder. And man the acting was great by the cast. There's a lot left hanging for a season 2 but still satisfying. This felt like reading a good book.

I have to compare it a little to Stranger Things in that they both involve groups of suburban kids coming together to unravel some mystery. However I think this show will stick in my mind more just because of how different it was. The
[Show spoiler]dancing/movement
thing was really interesting.

Last edited by Makarov; 01-20-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:54 AM   #12

Sep 2013

Just finished the last episode. Hopefully the second episode has its shit together better. The last episode especially was all over the map in that it felt like the show didn't know what it was about. I really cannot suggest anyone spend their time on this show. There is no real payoff.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Definitely an enjoyable series. Looking forward to season 2.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

The show isn't for everyone, especially towards the end. It takes an open mind, and one that is willing to forego literal interpretation. It's definitely not a straight-forward plot where everything is neatly wrapped-up at the end.

As a basis for comparison, if you like movies such as The Fountain, you'll probably like The OA.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by judremy View Post
Just finished the last episode. Hopefully the second episode has its shit together better. The last episode especially was all over the map in that it felt like the show didn't know what it was about. I really cannot suggest anyone spend their time on this show. There is no real payoff.
It's usually best to start with the first episode, not the last.
Thanks given by:
howarmat (01-20-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.
USA

Finished this up yesterday. All I can say is that it is different for sure. It had some good moments & then other moments it was just blah. I do applaud Netflix for churning out some original content though.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:54 AM   #17

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinicus View Post
It's usually best to start with the first episode, not the last.
In the case of this series, you would save 6.5 hours by skipping the first seven craptacular episodes. I can outline the whole series and all the problems with the predictable storytelling coupled with the questions that go unanswered (was this from the writers of Lost). Leaving an entire season's worth of questions unanswered is a grab for a second season by holding the answers (if they know them) hostage.

If you liked it, then great for you. Me? I lost 7.5 hours of my life and am not a better person for it.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #18
Power Member

Mar 2013

I don't think Lost really left much of anything unanswered, if anything they tried to explain too much.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Lah’mu

This show is very different but that is what I like. I don't want another show about doctors, lawyers, and police. You could go as far as to call it strange or even odd.

As for questions, I still have a few but nothing wrong with that. It's nothing new for shows to leave you wondering about a few things. Contemplating the answers is half the fun.
Thanks given by:
Maccadinho25 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by judremy View Post
In the case of this series, you would save 6.5 hours by skipping the first seven craptacular episodes. I can outline the whole series and all the problems with the predictable storytelling coupled with the questions that go unanswered (was this from the writers of Lost). Leaving an entire season's worth of questions unanswered is a grab for a second season by holding the answers (if they know them) hostage.

If you liked it, then great for you. Me? I lost 7.5 hours of my life and am not a better person for it.
I'd say it peaks at episode five and then by the end of episode 7 it has gone completely off the rails that it really never recovers from. The handling of the group's day to day lives was very poorly done.

I still recommend it though
Thanks given by:
judremy (01-28-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows