Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Hentai Heaven Collection: Volume 8: Big Sis & The MILF (Blu-ray)
$25.00

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (Blu-ray)
$50.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.79

Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato – Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

DARLING in the FRANXX: Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part I (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Hunter × Hunter: Volume 5 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kämpfer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #41

Feb 2014

Yeah bad subs can ruin the movie. They probably just google translated the script after ripping it.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #42

Dec 2010
Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Also, is that case for the regular edition? I do love some DVD size cases- shows off artwork nicely!
This bluray uses regular size case while limited edition uses DVD size case.

Yeah, "Silent Voice" sounds better. So does Fullmetal Alchemist. But "Attack on Titan" really puzzles me coz it changes the meaning of the original title (Shingeki no Kyojin = Titan's attack/Titan attacking)
Thanks given by:
professorwho (05-17-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 AM   #43

Feb 2014

This movie beats "Your Name" for best animation movie of the year.

Thanks given by:
professorwho (05-19-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

There's a new set of subs that are of horrible quality. (I hope this not so subtle reference will help you all.)

And it's 1040p. Because the film is in 1:85:1 aspect ratio, that means the subs will have to be altered to fit the BD rip. I didn't download it, I just read that online.

WARNING: They are hard-coded. You cannot rip the subs from the MKV. Credit to omarchafa for the heads up.

Last edited by professorwho; 05-22-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #45

Feb 2014

Yes horrible indeed, and my copy is here in a few hours.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (05-22-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Gave in and watched it tonight. Can't wait for an English friendly BD.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

I watched it tonight as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
There's a new set of subs that are of horrible quality. (I hope this not so subtle reference will help you all.)
I should have figured out that they were hard subs before I tried fiiddling with my player to override the SSA styling on them, as I don't believe they would have chosen that bad a typesetting font on their own.

Hopefully down the line someone else does a good job with this media. Because I can see this film being right up the alley of a certain group.

Anyway, back to the film itself. I'm not really happy with the result. Is it a bad movie? Not at all. They cut a movie-making subplot out for time, which isn't a bad thing, but it was the main reason two of the supporting characters even existed and they feel kinda worthless now. Many of the more dramatic scenes were watered down from dialog changes, and the occasional violence was toned down from the manga.

They cut too much from the character backstory/development of Nishimiya's mom. The result is too-quick a turnaround of her interactions with Ishida, and they completely failed to talk about her own relationship with Shouko. They also softened Ueno's character and erased a deeper exploration of her which explained her behavior at the hospital better.

The ending also cuts off too soon. Turning into a somewhat sappy scene of Ishida's own breakthrough and return to normal society instead of a final resolving of his relationship with Shouko and their past -- which is what the story was supposed to be about.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #48
Banned

Jan 2014

The fansubbed version that I watched last night had pretty good subs.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #49
Banned

Jun 2012
Denmark

Found subs. They definitely don't seem machine translated, but they do need some work.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #50

Feb 2014

I finally narrowed it down to which subs I'm going to watch the movie with. They are the only ones that are good if not better than the official subs after spending an hour carefully analyzing it by comparing it with the official subs and hearing what the characters actually say (I do know a bit of Japanese). I find the translation to be spot on without being too literal. Obviously it still needs some work here and there, but is more than good enough to watch it. The official subs aren't that great to begin with, it is Amazon we are talking about here.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #51
Banned

Jun 2012
Denmark

Feel free to share
Old 05-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #52

Feb 2014

I just finished watching the movie. I was very moved by the film itself. The dramatic were very well done, and the ending brought some closure to it all. The movie strongly focused on the two main characters, and that really brought great development throughout the movie. I can kinda see since this was a manga adaptation which I have not read, the first part of the movie did felt rushed, but not in a bad way. As we get to the present time, that's where it really took off. The movie dealt with school bullying, suicide, and the sense of loneliness. Overall, I actually like it better than Your Name which was a very good movie indeed. If it wasn't for Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, this would have been KyoAni best movie yet. Yamada, Naoko did an excellent job at it.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (05-27-2017), professorwho (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Very similar thoughts to omarchafa. Saw it last night with the Reddit translated subs, and it was very well translated. The film hit me in a very emotional place- I was bullied quite frequently in high school, and i generally had very few friends. But I was opened up to the world after realising how I wasn't better then everyone else. One of the trailers spoiled one of the most powerful scenes, and even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still in tears by the end of it.

As for the film itself, it was very well directed- Naoko Yamada uses live action techniques to feel more realistic, and it pays off very well. The cinematography was good, as several shots conveyed so much with such little time. The sakuga was subtle, and the character animation was very realistic, which led to very powerful sequences. The sound design was well handled, as the sound distortion, while very obvious, added to the atmosphere of Nishimiya's life. Speaking of which, Saori Hayami gave an outstanding performance as Shouko, that felt so realistic, you'd think she was deaf herself!

The cut content seemed obvious, but as a standalone piece, it worked incredibly. I showed it to my mom as well, and she was as blown away as myself. It is a MUST WATCH.

I've had a conflicting opinion of KyoAni- when they make something I dislike (K-On, Free!, Myriad Colours) I REALLY dislike it, but when I love it (Disappearance, Nichijou, and my personal favourite- Hyouka) it's one of my absolute favourites. This is easily my second favourite film of theirs, and third favourite work of theirs.

Naoko Yamada truly is one of the best directors in the industry right now (and she's so adorable- like she's so pretty and moe) and deserves all the praise she can get. I cannot wait for her next work, whatever it is.

Last edited by professorwho; 05-28-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #54

Feb 2014

Yeah sometimes trailers spoil too much these days. What surprised me was the suicide stuff which I don't think it was shown the trailers or least I didn't realize that the movie will deal with suicide. The closest movie I can think of that is comparable with this is When Marnie was There which is another must watch movie for sure.

*Spoiler Alert*

I haven't really talked about the sound design for this movie. Since I have a very good home theater setup, during Shouko's suicide attempt the LFE presence was very immersive (the walls shook around my house, lol). The 5.1 sound had a lot of presence all throughout which was impressive. The dialogue was clear and crisp. Shouko's VA really nailed it with her speech pattern, it was very convincing like it really was a deaf girl trying to talk (although kinda creepy and sad).

Anyway, KyoAni has set the bar very high for this movie and it's going to be hard to beat that.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

I really have to get a 7.1 setup. (I don't have any surround setup at all). My friend has a bass machine, and stuff like Breaking Bad and The Matrix blew me away with it. But yeah, I believe you on the 5.1 audio. Really have to get a setup these days.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #56

Dec 2009
Los Angeles, CA

It always disappoints me that most airing anime never utilize 5.1 audio. Even doubly so when it's something like the Little Witch Academia OVAs, which do have it, and then the show itself doesn't. So when a movie, or standalone OVA, comes along that actually uses it, it's such a treat. The fireworks scene in particular for this film was all that much better because of it.

Speaking of that, there's an Answerman on 5.1 used in anime here if any of you are interested, at the very bottom of the page: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2014-01-17

Last edited by iv3rdawG; 05-29-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
It always disappoints me so much that most airing anime never utilize 5.1 audio. So when a movie, or standalone OVAs, such as Little Witch Academia, come along that actually use it, it's such a treat. The fireworks scene in particular was just all that much better because of it.
Most Japanese people don't have a surround sound system, and Cable airs in stereo. So, I gusss that's why.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #58

Dec 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, when you hear so often that foreign markets and whatnot don't necessarily play a large role in what gets made in the anime industry, if the large majority of who you're catering to don't even have the necessary tools to utilize certain things it's understandable. Nonetheless, still somewhat disappointing.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

I have a 5.1 system in my theater room, and when I watch anime that has only has a stereo track I'll often turn on one of the surround modes on the processor just so that all the speakers and the LFE channel are at least being used. The LFE channel is important because the butt-kickers in my sofa seats run off the sub channel as well, and I always want to have the sofa seats shaking at full tilt for any action-based anime I'm watching. Sitting only 9 feet from a 120" screen with the sofa shaking you butt off and the subs shaking the rest of the house is the only way to watch a good action anime, lol...
Thanks given by:
AManOfCharacter (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

4 channels of audio can be matrixed into 2 channels, which makes me wonder if some of the Japanese TV anime 2.0 stereo tracks are actually proper 4 channel Dolby Stereo tracks that can be defolded with Dolby Pro Logic.

Dolby Stereo tracks can sound amazing sometimes, like the 2.0 LPCM Dolby Stereo track on Arrow Video UK's Blu-ray of To Live and Die in L.A.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime