Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The 100: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$8.96
11 hrs ago
Dynasties 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Better Call Saul: Season One (Blu-ray)
$20.64
6 hrs ago
Lost in Space: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.89

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Soundgarden: Live from the Artists Den (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Space: 1999: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76

The Venture Bros: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$20.97

Lupin III: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (Blu-ray)
$19.29

From the Earth to the Moon (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Rick and Morty: Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA
Default IN DEVELOPMENT: Netflix's "The Witcher"

didn't see thread for this.

Quote:
Netflix To Produce ‘The Witcher’ TV Series

Netflix is developing and producing a new English-language drama series based on the fantasy saga The Witcher from Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski.

Known collectively as the Witcher Saga, Sapkowski’s eight novels and story collections center on “witchers” – hunters who develop supernatural abilities at a young age to battle deadly monsters. The books have been translated into more than 20 languages and have since spawned a major video game franchise.

Sapkowski will serve as creative consultant on the series. Sean Daniel (The Mummy franchise) and Jason Brown (The Expanse) at the Sean Daniel Company are exec producers along with The Fallen’s Tomek Baginski and Jarek Sawko from Polish production and VFX house Platige Image.

“I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” said Sapkowski. “I’m excited about our efforts together as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life.”

Daniel and Brown added: “The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world. The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix.”
Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

So.... No Geralt? If so, easy pass!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
So.... No Geralt? If so, easy pass!
Where in the article does it say that?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Yeah, the stories are easily centered around Geralt and his family. There's no reason to assume the show won't either.

Kick ass books, kick ass games... hopefully it'll lead to a kick ass show.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015
Ohio

Cautiously looking forward to this. Netflix is hit or miss these days.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Canada
Default Netflix's The Witcher

I did not found any thread about this (I only found threads about the games or the possibility of a movie - which will not be made) so here we go!

The Netflix TV Series was announced in May 17, 2017. I've never read the original novels (shame on me), nor played the games (more shame) but I've read the awesome comic books (published by Dark Horse) and I think I might love that series. I need to play the games too!

Latest News - July 13, 2017

Quote:
When is The Witcher out on Netflix? Release date, cast, trailer and more

By Sebastian Kettley
PUBLISHED: 13:27, Thu, Jul 13, 2017

GERALT of Rivia will appear in Netflix's adaptation of Andzrej Sapkowski’s popular Witcher novel series. But what is The Witcher’s release date and who will play Geralt?

Netflix has announced it will be bringing Andrzej Sapkowski’s fantasy novels to life on the popular streaming service.

The Witcher series will see Andrzej Sapkowski join the project as a creative consultant, and he said he was thrilled at the prospect.

In a statement he said: "I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing."

"I’m excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life."

What is the Netflix release date for The Witcher?

No release timeframe has been specified yet, but fans are already excited at the idea of seing Geralt in live action.

One Twitter user posted: "The Witcher TV series on Netflix, 1000000000000% can't wait for this #thewitcher #netflix (sic)."

Netflix vice president, Erik Barmack, said: “Andrzej Sapkowski has created a rich and memorable world, at once magical and familiar. We couldn’t be more excited about bringing Netflix members around the world.”

Film director Tomek Baginski, who worked on The Witcher video game trilogy, said the series has been in the making for years.

"Initially we wanted to make a full feature film, but Andrzej Sapkowski’s stories are so robust and wholesome, it became very clear quickly that they would not fit in one film," he told Gazeta.pl.

“Right now we are focusing our energy on a series and I think that this is the natural form for Sapkowski’s prose.”

What is The Witcher about?

The Witcher novel saga focuses on a group of supernatural monster-slayers known as Witchers in a quasi-medieval fantasy world.

The main protagonist of the series is Geralt of Rivia, known as the "White Wolf" due to his long white hair.

Mr Sapkowki’s books have also been adapted in a successful trilogy of video games under the banner of game developers CD Projekt Red.

The Polish developers saw incredible success with the franchise and the third instalment in the series, The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, won over 251 Game of the Year awards.

Film directors Jarek Sawko and Tomek Baginski – who worked on the intro sequences for all three games – will work on the project as executive producers.

They said in a statement: "There is a moral and intellectual depth in these books which goes beyond genre. It is a story about today and today’s challenges, hidden under a fantasy cover."

"It is a story about us, about the monster and the hero inside all of our hearts."

Who will play Geralt of Rivia?

Fans are already wildly speculating about who could play the infamous "Butcher of Blaviken".

One person tweeted out: "Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt of Rivia please."

Another person suggested: "Netflix is planning to make a @thewitchergame TV show based on the novels. Tom Hiddleston what about you?"

In a 2001 Polish film adaptation of the Witcher books, the role of Geralt was payed by gritty actor Michal Zebrowski.

Director and actor Doug Cockle also supplied the coarse and intimidating voice of Geralt in the video games.

Source: http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-...i-trailer-cast
Also, you may watch this interesting video:

Thanks given by:
theusher (09-30-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015
Ohio

I'm extremely excited for this show. I only ever played The Witcher III and it was by far the best game I've ever played. I've been meaning to read the books. A bookstore near me has all but one of the books.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2012

Anson Mount would make a great Geralt, I'm hoping with the rumored cancellation of Inhumans there might still be time for him to be cast here.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2015
Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerzwild View Post
Anson Mount would make a great Geralt, I'm hoping with the rumored cancellation of Inhumans there might still be time for him to be cast here.
He was the lynchpin that got me into Hell on Wheels.

One good show can define an actor.

Two good shows can define a great actor.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerzwild View Post
i have no idea who he is so i looked it up. he definitely has the looks + age for him.

he looks like a better geralt than mads.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

I think The Witcher games would make a great television series with the right kind of writing. I love the setting, lore, and characters.

Geralt needs to be muscular and tall and have a deep voice.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IroquoisPliskin View Post
i have no idea who he is so i looked it up. he definitely has the looks + age for him.

he looks like a better geralt than mads.
Ya he was the star of Hell on Wheels, look up some of the later season photos with long greying hair. He is currently staring as Blackbolt in Marvel's Inhumans but rumors say it might be DOA.

Ya Anson is a much better fit than Mads IMO.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Posted this on another forum months back when it was first announced a Witcher show was in the works, so just gonna repeat it here:

Anson Mount as Geralt of Rivia = Perfect casting. The other two "obvious" choices imo are Mads Mikkelsen and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, but Anson Mount was the first name I thought of when this was announced. He was basically playing a cowboy Geralt in that final season of Hell on Wheels, this was what he looked like behind-the-scenes at that time:

Bleach his hair and slap in some cats-eye contacts and you're done.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Already a thread for this: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=292074
Old 09-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
It's always an issue finding thread in the advanced search when the " are used in the title! Thanks for merging them!
Thanks given by:
doctorD (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Showrunners announced:

Quote:
Lauren Schmidt Hissrich to Adapt ‘The Witcher’ for Netflix (EXCLUSIVE)

CREDIT: Courtesy of superNOWA

Lauren Schmidt Hissrich will adapt fantasy saga “The Witcher” into a series for Netflix, Variety has learned.

Like the stories on which it is based, Netflix’s “The Witcher” chronicles monster hunters who, with training and body modification, develop supernatural abilities at a young age to battle deadly beasts. Hissrich will serve as showrunner and executive producer. Her writing and co-executive producer credits include Marvel-produced superhero dramas “The Defenders” and “Daredevil” for Netflix and Starz’s “Power.” She is represented by UTA.

Netflix in May announced that it would develop and produce an adaptation of the novels by the Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski.

The first “Witcher” short stories were published in Polish science-fiction magazine Fantastyka in the mid-1980s. The first of eight books, short-story collection “The Last Wish,” was published in 1993. The most recent, the novel “Season of Storms,” was published in 2013. In addition to a major video game franchise, the series has been adapted into projects for comic books, tabletop games, and, two decades ago, a Polish-language television series.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
Banned

Sep 2017

Perfect cast. Ason is perfect (not so much as Blackbolt) but here it fits like silk.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:43 PM   #18
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Anson Mount would be PERRRRFECT.

My second choice:
Thanks given by:
Captain Flint (01-08-2018), CaptainWebber (01-09-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 11:50 PM   #19

Feb 2016

Its being made by dare devil show producer so it's gonna be like the marvel tv shows
Old 01-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #20
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Well, that worries me. I've tried to watch Daredevil and managed only to watch half a season. It was that weak. But The Witcher is my favourite book of all time, and my favoirte game of all time, so no matter how bad it may be, I will watch it (just as I watched polish series from 2001, I doubt it can be worse than that).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows