Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

The Banana Splits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$249.95

Country Music (Blu-ray)
$80.32

Rescue Me: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.45

From the Earth to the Moon (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.89

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Space: 1999: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 AM   #41
Power Member

Feb 2012

I believe it is starting with the short stories and moving to the novels. That said it seems likely to change a fair bit in adaptation. It wouldn't be the first time a character was introduced earlier or given a more predominate role. I would guess Triss is in the show alot more than she would in print, but it also depends on who they cast. Perhaps they get someone auditioning for Yenn and think she is a perfect Triss, that is sometimes how it goes.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status...04474970501120

I think my favorite part of this article by @xoxogossipgita is all of the fan comments that remind other fans that this show is BASED ON THE BOOKS. And yes, Geralt hates having a beard.

Cancel it. Cancel the show, right now. We don't need it. You want Witcher? Play the game. I refuse, I REFUSE, to ever go through THIS again. #NoBeardNoShow

Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #43
Power Member

Aug 2018

I kinda have to agree on the beard thing and grey hair also. Bad casting choice. Ason Mount would have been a perfect choice.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #44
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinys Memory View Post
https://twitter.com/LHissrich/status...04474970501120

I think my favorite part of this article by @xoxogossipgita is all of the fan comments that remind other fans that this show is BASED ON THE BOOKS. And yes, Geralt hates having a beard.
If that was anyone but the show runner saying that I would have responded that it was an adaptation of the books yes obviously however adaptations change things all the time especially minor things like if he likes to wear a beard (which come on it is kinda absurd for an adventurer/hunter to be clean shaven particularly pre-industry).

I think any showrunner worth their salt would make it look as similar to the games as they could get away with. The majority of fans will come from the games, to change it too drastically would be a mistake. Especially if they go full Sapkowski. I haven't read but the first book but I have read that Sapkowski envisions a bright colored renaissance fair looking world and criticized the games looks. Does anyone think that wouldn't translate into a cheesy looking mess(kinda like a superhero movie going full 60's costumes)? Certainly not saying it has to be drab but people dressed like Dandelion should be the exception not the rule .

I know it is a kinda minor statement from her but all they little things she says over twitter build up and really make me worry for this show.

Last edited by jokerzwild; 09-08-2018 at 01:55 AM. Reason: changed per to pre
Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Probably should go ahead and just close this thread now. Save the mods some future trouble...

http://www.nyt.org.uk/my-account/opp...ustry-castings

The Witcher [Confidential]

THE WITCHER for Netflix
Overall shoot dates: 18th October 2018 - end May 2019
CIRI
LEAD ROLE. OPTIONS REQUIRED

Cirilla. The Lion Cub of Cintra

Looking for a 16 or 15 year old BAME girl who can play down to 13/14. Must not be older than 18 years old.
Resilient, Relentless, Brazen, Growing.

CIRI can often be found rough-housing with the Palace hands instead of sitting in finery at the knee of the QUEEN CALANTHE, her grandmother. That is, until Cintra is massacred by the Nilfgaardians and CIRI is orphaned, left to traverse THE CONTINENT, alone. She doesn’t know it yet, but she’s a direct descendent of LARA DORREN, an Elven Mage – which is why everyone in our series is after her. We follow CIRI as she evades her captors, and in the meantime, discovers her magical talents, her dark side, and the role she is to play in the coming apocalypse. We are looking for an extraordinary young talent to lead this series. She should be brave hearted and MUST have something truly special about her.

The Witcher an 8 x one hour, fantasy drama for Netflix created by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (The West Wing, The Defenders, Daredevil) and based on the book series of the same name by Andrzej Sapkowski.
GERALT, a genetically enhanced monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.
GERALT's story entwines with CIRI, an orphaned young girl who wants to find a family & YENNEFER, a powerful sorceress whose beauty and talent come at cost.

Bound together by destiny, often against their will, the three must navigate THE CONTINENT together. And Geralt and Yennefer reliaze that they must protect this girl - who might just destroy the world. Need we say more?
If you fit the bill, please submit a headshot and CV to [redacted] with the subject line 'NYT The Witcher' asap

BAME = Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic.

In before the screams of "Something, something SJWs!!" get the thread locked.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Why?
Old 09-08-2018, 01:39 AM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

OK, so here's the REAL issue imo: Ciri doesn't have to be white, nothing about her character that switching to BAME will completely alter, so in that regard: No Big Deal. However, if they are thinking of taking this in a "bold progressive direction", it's hardly gonna gel with the source material, is it? I have no problem with any form of racial alterations but I fear that this mentality will extend to the character of Geralt and the salacious elements of the novels and games. Are they going to tone things down and neuter the male characters in order to appeal to the namby-pamby millennial & Gen-Z audience? Coz this is The Witcher, the so-called "Game of Thrones slayer" and political correctness doesn't really have a place in the franchise fans know and love.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:50 AM   #48
Power Member

Feb 2012

Ya I'm going to skip right over that topic, however I think it gives us more of an idea on how they are going to go about the story. By already casting a girl of that age it seems to me that it confirms the idea that the short stories would be incorporated or adapted into the novel stories instead of the episodic tales some were expecting.
Perhaps they will cover some of the short stories in flashbacks or just change them to suit the major story timeline.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:55 AM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
NJ

The character in that photo is meant to be 13?
Old 09-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #50
Power Member

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
No that is a game photo, she is 19 in that I believe.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:00 AM   #51
Power Member

Aug 2018

WTF dude!!! That shit should have stayed private. The first line alone is creepy.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:06 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
No, she's only a child when first introduced into the story and is a late teen by the time the novels ended. In the games she was only mentioned, never featured in the first two games and introduced proper in the 3rd and final entry when she was already around 17. She was only ever a child in the 3rd game's prologue flashback (hence the lack of publicity art of her at 13).
Thanks given by:
Groot (09-08-2018), Hawkguy (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 02:40 AM   #53
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
OK, so here's the REAL issue imo: Ciri doesn't have to be white
Well, considering all background of hers... there are some... complications.

[Show spoiler]Nilfgaardians, whole Cintra or maybe elves should be BAME too.

I am not sure if making Nilfgaardian black (or arabian) is a good idea, also from the political correctnes point of view, since they're basically... EVIL! .. and called the black ones in the novel :> Same problem with the elves, so it looks like the only safe bet is Cintra.

ANother problem - Ciri's hair color - if they're not changing it, it will be really weird on BAME person
Seriously, I wouldn't do that If were a decisive person. Instead it would be better to have some other character BAMEd if that's really necessary. Turkish Yennefer maybe? That Belçim Bilgin at least looked the part.

Last edited by Gieferg; 09-08-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:59 AM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Yes I did wonder what this means for the racial make-up of Nilfgaard but I'm assuming that rather than paint themselves into a corner with regards to the broader casting for the series they will just make Ciri's mother BAME as well and not explain it further. TBH I'm not expecting them to flesh out her back story to the point where they have to make a specific sub-section of Nilfgaard specifically BAME as a consequence of this casting, but it also makes sense that they may want to racially diversify the empire.

Last edited by Shingster; 09-08-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

I'm not watching if she ends up being bame.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:05 AM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

I pity anyone who is so small-mnded and petty as to refuse to watch a film or series adaptation because they have the gall to change the race of a central character from the source material. What a sad little world outlook you people must have.
Thanks given by:
GasmaskAvenger (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:14 AM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

Ah, condescending remarks.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

It's the only natural response when a post is worthy of condescension. You want an intelligent response, post something intelligent - or at least something with enough elucidation as to be worthy of some form of agreement or disagreement.

Last edited by Shingster; 09-09-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

Very funny. Instead of asking for elaboration on the point, you just made a personal jab in a condescending manner. It's not natural. It's rude.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #60
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

I don't care about such changes. What I care about is if the end result of the project itself sucks or doesn't suck in the quality department.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows