Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Hentai Heaven Collection: Volume 8: Big Sis & The MILF (Blu-ray)
$25.00

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (Blu-ray)
$50.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.79

Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato – Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

DARLING in the FRANXX: Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part I (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Hunter × Hunter: Volume 5 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kämpfer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 06-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Mine just came in, will post thoughts later.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (06-01-2018), pikagreg (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

I just skipped through some chapters watching small portions and I think it looks great.

First thing I immediately noticed is how colorful it is, colors are vibrant and pop off the screen like never before. Clarity is great, the picture is sharp and there seems to be a nice filmic look to it. I also took a very quick look at the 16:9 version but it felt weird and unnatural watching it this way, think I'll just stick to the OAR version.

No cuts restored as far as I could tell from the scene in which Shin attacks Ken at the beginning (which was to be expected orcourse).

Definitely an improvement over the region 1 Eastern Star DVD. I'm looking forward in seeing the whole movie asap!
Thanks given by:
DEF! (06-01-2018), jignat (06-15-2018), Lionel Horsepackage (06-01-2018), NLScavenger (06-01-2018), reanimator (06-20-2018), Robojaws (06-02-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #43

Jul 2010

Is the 16:9 just the 4:3 cropped?

Glad to here your first impressions are it looks good. The colours popping is a great selling point. That should look gloriously bloody.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEF! View Post
Is the 16:9 just the 4:3 cropped?

4:3

16:9
Thanks given by:
Blazing-star (06-01-2018), DEF! (06-02-2018), Gorgon (06-02-2018), Gouki (06-18-2018), Lionel Horsepackage (06-02-2018), Robojaws (06-02-2018), wesslan (06-02-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #45

Sep 2016
UK, somewhere

I'll be watching it in 4:3.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Just watched the whole movie this morning, it's an excellent video and audio presentation as well. If you're a fan then I think you should get it right now.

The only thing out of place I noticed would be two very slight pauses during the finale, very likely as a result of the seamless branching due to the two endings being available to watch. But it's so minor and not a dealbreaker at all.

I've come a long way watching Fist Of The North Star The Movie. Started with a third generation bootleg VHS in '92, then went through different VHS and DVD editions and now 26 years later this great Blu-ray release. Very happy with this.

Now if someone would be so kind to give the same treatment to Wicked City and the entire uncut, unedited, uncensored Urotsukidoji series, I would be even more happier...

One final note about the self imposed censorship. It seems really random to me. Sometimes you'll see blood and guts in all its detailed glory without any filters or distortions being applied. Then the next scene which is equally bloody and violent is being visually altered. I think the only thing that has actually been cut is the scene in which a villager gets his head squashed for screaming out of tempo? But even so this still remains as one of the most outrageously violent anime of all time. Btw I still love the end credits song, I always watch it all the way through the end.

Last edited by DJR662; 06-02-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Thanks given by:
DEF! (06-02-2018), Gorgon (06-02-2018), jignat (06-15-2018), RancorKeeper (09-27-2018), reanimator (06-20-2018), Robojaws (06-02-2018), sam305 (06-02-2018), XGEEKEDGERX (06-25-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #47
Special Member

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Just watched the whole movie this morning, it's an excellent video and audio presentation as well. If you're a fan then I think you should get it right now.

The only thing out of place I noticed would be two very slight pauses during the finale, very likely as a result of the seamless branching due to the two endings being available to watch. But it's so minor and not a dealbreaker at all.

I've come a long way watching Fist Of The North Star The Movie. Started with a third generation bootleg VHS in '92, then went through different VHS and DVD editions and now 26 years later this great Blu-ray release. Very happy with this.

Now if someone would be so kind to give the same treatment to Wicked City and the entire uncut, unedited, uncensored Urotsukidoji series, I would be even more happier...

One final note about the self imposed censorship. It seems really random to me. Sometimes you'll see blood and guts in all its detailed glory without any filters or distortions being applied. Then the next scene which is equally bloody and violent is being visually altered. I think the only thing that has actually been cut is the scene in which a villager gets his head squashed for screaming out of tempo? But even so this still remains as one of the most outrageously violent anime of all time. Btw I still love the end credits song, I always watch it all the way through the end.
Wicked City would be a dream come true remastered in HD on Blu-ray. Discotek would definitely get my money they have already with this release of Fist of the North Star.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #48

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
The remastered DVD discotek released is pretty good, but a blu-ray would be great. Unfortunately hell would probably freeze over before an uncensored blu-ray of Urotsukidoji would be released. And I'd be content with the first 3 Oav's.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroshi View Post
The remastered DVD discotek released is pretty good, but a blu-ray would be great. Unfortunately hell would probably freeze over before an uncensored blu-ray of Urotsukidoji would be released. And I'd be content with the first 3 Oav's.
I bought that most recent Wicked City DVD and while it looks good, I really need this on Blu-ray. I still don't understand why such high profile anime title would get a remaster on DVD only.

As for Urotsukidoji, I have my Perfect Collection copy which I will be holding on to for dear life until something better comes along. For the rest of the series I have the French EVA DVDs.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #50

Sep 2015
British Columbia

Just want to say, I really appreciate the "English Opening and Ending" bonus feature on this Blu-ray, for preservation's sake and my own curiosity. It's great to see all the old logos, English text and the completely unrestored, dirty picture (which actually matches all those infamous rainbow blurred clips).

Man, that credits sequence is still one of my favourite scenes in all of anime.

I was actually considering buying a copy of the long-out-of-print Snapper DVD of FOTNS to see the Streamline VHS version in action, but thankfully with this disc, I don't really have to.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #51
Expert Member

Mar 2012

So to be clear, this ISN'T fully uncut? And it's from the same people who got us SF2 Animated uncut? How disappointing. Why is that? This was one I watched back in the VHS days and now it's on blu ray yet still not uncut

Also, are English subs fully removable even on Japanese audio?

Last edited by Class316; 06-20-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #52

Sep 2015
British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
So to be clear, this ISN'T fully uncut? And it's from the same people who got us SF2 Animated uncut? How disappointing. Why is that? This was one I watched back in the VHS days and now it's on blu ray yet still not uncut
Nothing can be done if A) Toei won't provide Discotek with the master, because B) the uncensored workprint/original theatrical version no longer exists.

Toei won't say anything on the matter (nor do I think they care to), but it's presumed lost after a vault fire.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #53
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

I actually just purchased this bluray and watched it tonight, and it's really nice looking. I messed up and watched it in 16:9, and even with a cropped 16:9 image from a 4:3 source this movie looked really clean. Kudos to Discotek!

Now where's my Darkstalkers, Wicked City, and Project A-KO collection bluray releases??!!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #54
Expert Member

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinStriker View Post
Nothing can be done if A) Toei won't provide Discotek with the master, because B) the uncensored workprint/original theatrical version no longer exists.

Toei won't say anything on the matter (nor do I think they care to), but it's presumed lost after a vault fire.
Just curious, since this is one of the most classic and known anime why don't they care to make a statement on it?

Also, how much is actually cut/censored compared to the original release. And would this release be the most uncensored release that exists or is there a VHS or laserdisc that is more uncensored?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaOfEvil View Post
I actually just purchased this bluray and watched it tonight, and it's really nice looking. I messed up and watched it in 16:9, and even with a cropped 16:9 image from a 4:3 source this movie looked really clean. Kudos to Discotek!

Now where's my Darkstalkers, Wicked City, and Project A-KO collection bluray releases??!!
Baffles me why anyone would make a widescreen version from a 4x3 entity. What is the point of that? Seems like a waste of time and effort.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #55

Sep 2015
British Columbia

Quote:
Just curious, since this is one of the most classic and known anime why don't they care to make a statement on it?

Also, how much is actually cut/censored compared to the original release. And would this release be the most uncensored release that exists or is there a VHS or laserdisc that is more uncensored?
Honestly, it's because Toei just doesn't care to preserve their properties. From DBZ's broadcast audio to Sailor Moon's HD masters, they just do not give a shit.

And the least censored (not uncensored) release to date is the Italian VHS version, it doesn't use any coloured tinting and it restores Galt squashing a guy's head. The rainbow blurs are still present, though.

Quote:
Baffles me why anyone would make a widescreen version from a 4x3 entity. What is the point of that? Seems like a waste of time and effort.
Just so the option is there, I think. Also, the Japanese home video ending Discotek included is cropped in a certain way that it's closer to widescreen than 1.33:1
Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #56
Expert Member

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinStriker View Post
Honestly, it's because Toei just doesn't care to preserve their properties. From DBZ's broadcast audio to Sailor Moon's HD masters, they just do not give a shit.

And the least censored (not uncensored) release to date is the Italian VHS version, it doesn't use any coloured tinting and it restores Galt squashing a guy's head. The rainbow blurs are still present, though.
Damn. I guess someone needs to "despecialize" this blu by replacing/adding the uncensored scenes from the Italian VHS release

Quote:
Just so the option is there, I think.
Let's bring back pan and scan for all those widescreen movies!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #57

Mar 2010

Can anyone confirm if this region free ?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #58

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoloution View Post
Can anyone confirm if this region free ?

Thanks
The only region-free disc from Discotek is Robot Carnival. Everything else, including this, is Region A-locked.
Thanks given by:
revoloution (06-20-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaOfEvil View Post
I actually just purchased this bluray and watched it tonight, and it's really nice looking. I messed up and watched it in 16:9, and even with a cropped 16:9 image from a 4:3 source this movie looked really clean.
Quote:

Every "flat" 35mm 1.85 widescreen film is derived from a 1.33/1.37 negative ratio. 1.33/1.37, especially in the 80s, was a dead ratio for presentation. "Fist of the North Star" probably was presented in 1.85. This is always a common issue with many cel-based animated films that were done in 1.85 or around that ratio (They're animated in full frame so it's easier for television broadcasts or home video so they don't usually have to do a pan and scan). I don't know much about "Fist of the North Star" theatrical history but widescreen is most likely how it was presented in Japanese theaters unless stated otherwise. It's great that Discotek supplies both the (presumably) matted theatrical widescreen and unmatted full frame.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 AM   #60

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyan View Post
Every "flat" 35mm 1.85 widescreen film is derived from a 1.33/1.37 negative ratio. 1.33/1.37, especially in the 80s, was a dead ratio for presentation. "Fist of the North Star" probably was presented in 1.85. This is always a common issue with many cel-based animated films that were done in 1.85 or around that ratio (They're animated in full frame so it's easier for television broadcasts or home video so they don't usually have to do a pan and scan). I don't know much about "Fist of the North Star" theatrical history but widescreen is most likely how it was presented in Japanese theaters unless stated otherwise. It's great that Discotek supplies both the (presumably) matted theatrical widescreen and unmatted full frame.
Toei actually did the full-frame/matted presentation for the majority of their anime films, presumably since that allowed them a much easier way of giving the movies standard 4:3 home video releases and televised airings back when widescreen wasn't prevalent in home setups. Every film for Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball features this, which is why earlier US releases of the movies in these series were in a 4:3 ratio and the more recent Blu-ray releases are in a matted 16:9 ratio.

How well the widescreen ratio would be utilized would depend heavily on the storyboarding, however. Personally, I don't like how Transformers: The Movie looks in its matted presentation since the staging seems pretty cramped with the top and bottom of the frame cut off. By contrast, Sailor Moon R: The Movie utilizes its matted format really effectively and pulls off some pretty dynamic and cinematic shots in the wider frame.

There's actually a lot of complaint about which aspect ratio a film created like this should be viewed in, and to be honest, neither is an incorrect or unintended presentation. It's simply gonna come down to personal preference which presentation you prefer, and that's gonna be on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited by Ccharmanderk; 06-21-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (06-21-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime