Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Assassin's Creed III (Switch)
$29.99

American Ninja Warrior (Switch)
$19.99

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch)
$39.99

Tales Of Vesperia Definitive Edition (Switch)
$29.99

Overcooked! 2 (Switch)
$29.99

Dragon Ball FighterZ (Switch)
$28.99
8 hrs ago
The World Ends with You: Final Remix (Switch)
$29.97

Fate/Extella Link (Switch)
$65.52

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (Switch)
$19.99

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince (Switch)
$24.88

Wolfenstein: Youngblood (Switch)
$32.84

Team Sonic Racing (Switch)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 09-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #21
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
Most people drop $20 on a single meal just for them self at least a couple times a year. Unless you are a child or a poor college student I don’t see why anyone is blinking over $20/yr.
I’d rather spend $20 on one of these.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
When it was first announced last year, Nintendo said you’d get 1 game per month that would rotate out each month and if you wanted to keep it after the month, you could buy it. People complained, and they switched it to a Netflix-like service.
It's stupid for them to not give the option to buy the games.
Thanks given by:
ChadFL (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #23

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
According to Nintendolife anybody can form a "family" together, so if you can find 7 other people to join in, that's less then 5$ a year. If enough people here were interested I'd go for it.
I'm hoping this also means any region. I was able to add my main account (US) to my sub account (JP) but not the other way around. I wonder if I buy the family plan (at the cheaper US rate) if my JP account gets access? The free trial is only for individual plans so I'm hoping some brave soul tries this and blogs about it.

Also, since it requires a CC or PayPal, I can only buy the service at the US rate.

Last edited by heyadol; 09-19-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:39 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

I downloaded both the Famicom and NES versions. As long as you have one Nintendo Online account, you can download both Japanese from the Japan eshop and the Engish from the non-Japanese eshops (US, EU, Australia, etc)

Some of the games are exactly the same, but some like Mario 3 have some difficulty differences and games like Zelda are in their respective languages.
Thanks given by:
Petey Parker (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Is there any way to disable the onscreen control listings that are at the bottom of the screen while playing the NES games? It really is unnecessary and distracting.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
I downloaded both the Famicom and NES versions. As long as you have one Nintendo Online account, you can download both Japanese from the Japan eshop and the Engish from the non-Japanese eshops (US, EU, Australia, etc)

Some of the games are exactly the same, but some like Mario 3 have some difficulty differences and games like Zelda are in their respective languages.
How do you access the japanese eshop from the same account that you use for the US eshop? Normally you have to have a separate second account.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
How do you access the japanese eshop from the same account that you use for the US eshop? Normally you have to have a separate second account.
Yes you have to have a second Switch profile account - for Japan to access the Japanese eshop. Setting up a second or third profile (for US, EU, Japan, for example) is free.

But as long as you sign up for Nintendo Switch Online from any region, you are able to download the Famicom and NES without any extra charge.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #28
Power Member

Oct 2012

I paid for the subscription and tried to download the NES app but it is stuck on paused with no option to resume download. I tried the update download status but it doesn’t work.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #29
Power Member

Nov 2009
Buffalo NY

Ok question time! If I have 2 switches and 4 profiles
I am the primary and have bought all the digital games. I set switch A to be my primary and set switch B to be primary on the other switch (wife and kids) I would still be secondary on switch B as well. Will the kids be able to play my digital games on system B under their own profiles?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Yes you have to have a second Switch profile account - for Japan to access the Japanese eshop. Setting up a second or third profile (for US, EU, Japan, for example) is free.

But as long as you sign up for Nintendo Switch Online from any region, you are able to download the Famicom and NES without any extra charge.
I figured it out earlier this morning. I already had a Japan account set up. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to download the Famicom games without subscribing to Nintendo's online service through that specific account. But I was able to download it and then just play it from my main account that I did sign up with.

Now I just have to look up instructions again on how to set up accounts for other regions. I only ever set up that second Japan account back when I first got the Switch and completely forgot the exact steps. I'm sure it is simple, but I hastily tried to sign up for a European account (rushing through it was I had to leave for work shortly afterwards), and ended up just signing up for another US account.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
I am the primary and have bought all the digital games. I set switch A to be my primary and set switch B to be primary on the other switch (wife and kids) I would still be secondary on switch B as well. Will the kids be able to play my digital games on system B under their own profiles?
To the best of my knowledge, the answer is essentially no.

More specifically, in order for you to even play your own games on more than one Switch under your own account, you actually have to "deactivate" your current Switch as the main one that your profile is associated with, and "activate" the other. You can only play the games on whichever one is active at any time, and you can only activate one by deactivating the other.

Anyone with other accounts on the same system can play your digital games so long as that is the system that is currently "active." But to my knowledge, there is pretty much no way for you to buy a digital game once and for two people on two separate Switches to play it at the same time.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:

So what regions besides Japan have any notable differences to their NES/Famicom titles? I signed up for a UK account and not only is it identical, it didn't even come up as a separate game/app on my Switch like the Famicom one did.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:55 AM   #33
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
More specifically, in order for you to even play your own games on more than one Switch under your own account, you actually have to "deactivate" your current Switch as the main one that your profile is associated with, and "activate" the other. You can only play the games on whichever one is active at any time, and you can only activate one by deactivating the other.
Not anymore, under 6.0.0 you don’t have to deactivate. Just set the main Switch as your primary. The secondary Switch can play games as long as it’s online.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:59 AM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedliniv View Post
No, if what you’re asking is if they can play games you bought using your profile.

They can play games you bought on your Switch, on theirs, but they will have to use your profile. Also you can’t normally play games on two Switches simultaneously, but there is a trick that lets you do it. While the secondary Switch does need to be online to play games, the primary one doesn’t, so just disconnect from the internet on he primary and you can both play at the same time. This obviously wouldn’t work for three Switches at the same time, since then both secondaries would need to be online.

These two videos will help, watch both.

Thanks given by:
Old 09-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Quote:
So what regions besides Japan have any notable differences to their NES/Famicom titles? I signed up for a UK account and not only is it identical, it didn't even come up as a separate game/app on my Switch like the Famicom one did.
There are only two. Famicom for Japan and English NES for the rest of the world.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Is there any way to disable the onscreen control listings that are at the bottom of the screen while playing the NES games? It really is unnecessary and distracting.
I was putting up with it at first but when it turns white and takes up a bigger portion of the screen to let you know the triggers do something was when I stopped playing. This really needs to be fixed.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
There are only two. Famicom for Japan and English NES for the rest of the world.
Cool, so I take the NES for the rest of the world is pretty much the same no matter the region.

I played the Japan/Famicom version of The Legend of Zelda for a while last night, mostly for the hell of it. Not being able to read the text isn't a big deal since I'm very familiar with the game, where to go, and what to do.

The thing that I found oddly interesting about is that since in Japan it was released on the Famicom disk system, it has a slightly extended black screen whenever the disk would have to load in the original system. This includes, but is not limited to, entering and exiting/finishing a dungeon. I'm guessing that is an intentional part of the emulation to keep the experience as authentic to the original as possible.

I like having the Famicom versions downloaded just in part for the box art. While I'm far more nostalgic for the box art of the US versions, the Japanese box art for the games is also fun and interesting. I especially like the art for SMB 1 and 3.

It's also nice having the Japanese version of SMB3 as an option to play, as you mentioned earlier. I actually found out about the extra difficulty (where if you get hit with a power up, you go all of the way back to small Mario instead big Mario like in the US version) WAY back in the early 90s (I want to say it was either '91 or '92).

My aunt used to work in the Jewelry business, which in part included traveling overseas. From one of her trips, I have one of those bootleg/black market Famicom multi-carts and an adapter to play them on the US NES. This cart does not have Mario 3 on it. However, one time when her boss was going out of town with his family, she was asked to house-sit for him, and she took me along. He did a lot of traveling, too, and they had a bunch of Famicom games (probably because they would often get released in Japan before getting a state-side release) and played them using the adapters for the NES. The US version had been out for a good while at that point, and I had it and had played it inside and out.

So while we were there, I popped in the Famicom version of SMB3, not expecting any major differences, but just felt like playing it since it was there, and just finding the idea of playing the Japanese cart interesting. Then my young mind (I would have been 11 or 12 at the time) was blown when I got hit while having a power up and going all of the way back to small Mario! :O

I've played the Japanese version via roms on occasion in years since, but it is nice to have access to it in an official capacity on a current Nintendo system. I just hope at some point we can buy the games individually if we want to. The service is otherwise nice. I can see using it for the games that I don't necessarily "need" to buy, but having a purchase option would be nice.

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; 09-20-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I was putting up with it at first but when it turns white and takes up a bigger portion of the screen to let you know the triggers do something was when I stopped playing. This really needs to be fixed.
It's not as distracting when you play it on a TV but this seriously needs to be the first thing fixed whenever they do a patch.
Thanks given by:
Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
It's not as distracting when you play it on a TV but this seriously needs to be the first thing fixed whenever they do a patch.
That and remapping controls.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (09-20-2018), Petey Parker (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
That and remapping controls.
Yeah, this is REALLY needed. In addition to that being needed, even when these games have been released on previous consoles (whether or not they had the option to remap buttons), when using most any Nintendo controller with the typically four button Y, X, B, A layout, the formatting should default to Y and B respectively being mapped to the NES controller's B and A by default. It is the most natural way of holding the buttons, and it is how the controls are mapped for Mario games released on systems with that layout (i.e. Super Mario World, all of the New SMB games).

It isn't too bad playing Zelda with the current layout, but trying to run and jump at the same time in the Super Mario games is very uncomfortable.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch