Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dead of Night (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
The 100: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$8.96
3 hrs ago
Penguin Highway (Blu-ray)
$16.99
4 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Vampires (Blu-ray)
$24.96
19 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alphaville (Blu-ray)
$19.99
35 min ago
Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Flesh Gordon (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$70.00
19 hrs ago
The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music

Old 01-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Japan The Rolling Stones: Voodoo Lounge in Japan

with Postcard:

Universal Music Japan will release The Rolling Stones: Voodoo Lounge in Japan (1995) on March 15th, 2019, in single-disc Blu-ray and Blu-ray/CD digipak formats.

Note that this release appears to be exclusive to Japan.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

This should not be confused with Voodoo Lounge Uncut, since that concert was filmed in Florida on November 25th, 1994. This is a different concert from the same tour, but filmed in Japan at the Tokyo Dome on March 12th, 1995. It was released on Japanese VHS and Japanese LD later in 1995, but I don't believe it has seen any other official release since then.

Apparently, this is a part of a larger campaign to celebrate the upcoming Stones tours in Japan and the US, which will see, amongst other things, recent Stones concerts originally released by Ward Records being re-issued by UMJ. To that end, a swag-filled edition of Voodoo Lounge in Japan will be available at the campaign site and/or at venues in Japan (I can't tell for sure in translation).

Here is a short excerpt from UMJ:

Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
OH-IO

The Tokyo Dome set list is shorter than that from Joe Robbie stadium.

Significant differences include the omission of "Rocks Off" and "Dead Flowers", and Keef does not perform "The Worst", one of his all-time classics.

That said, I would wager that the Japanese show will have better PQ vs. the Eagle Rock SD-on-Blu.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
The Tokyo Dome set list is shorter than that from Joe Robbie stadium.

Significant differences include the omission of "Rocks Off" and "Dead Flowers", and Keef does not perform "The Worst", one of his all-time classics.

That said, I would wager that the Japanese show will have better PQ vs. the Eagle Rock SD-on-Blu.
"Rocks Off" is included. All signs point to this having the same tracklist as the Japanese VHS and LD, so that would make it 134 minutes. The Uncut version of the Florida show was 150 minutes.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
OH-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
"Rocks Off" is included. All signs point to this having the same tracklist as the Japanese VHS and LD, so that would make it 134 minutes. The Uncut version of the Florida show was 150 minutes.
Oops, sorry 'bout that, I got the wrong set list for Tokyo, I was looking at the March 6 show. They played a bunch of shows there for that tour.

So, the main diffs are "Dead Flowers" and "Beast of Burden", plus the two duos with Bo Diddley are missing. As well as no "The Worst" from Keef.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #6
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Oops, sorry 'bout that, I got the wrong set list for Tokyo, I was looking at the March 6 show. They played a bunch of shows there for that tour.

So, the main diffs are "Dead Flowers" and "Beast of Burden", plus the two duos with Bo Diddley are missing. As well as no "The Worst" from Keef.
Not quite. Compared to the Uncut Florida show, the Tokyo Dome release will contain "Love Is Strong" (you wonder why they didn't play this in Florida for the video), as well as "Rock and a Hard Place" and "Slipping Away" from the Steel Wheels album. Also, the version of "Live with Me" probably doesn't have Sheryl Crow, so that should be different.

As to the video quality, this may end up being essentially on the level of any other Eagle Rock SD Blu-ray releases, since Universal Music distributes their titles worldwide. I suppose it depends on just how "Japanese" this release is, meaning:

Are the source materials coming directly from Japanese vaults? Is the audio and video being remastered in Japan? Will the discs be authored in Japan?

I suppose this last one might be true, and certainly, the discs should be pressed in Japan, but most music releases by major companies are identical worldwide, so I'm not sure we'd get anything better from the Japanese here than if Eagle Rock were also releasing the same content in the West.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:00 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Question

How can I get a copy of the Stones She's a Rainbow (love that song! ) for a low-price (everything I've looked up there out of my price range )!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
OH-IO

I left out "Live With Me" because they still did it in Tokyo albeit without Sheryl.

But looking closer (and at the right set list ... finally) here's a couple more songs missing from Tokyo ... "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" and "It's All Over Now", the Stones' first big hit. Both are classics which outshine the cuts from 'Steel Wheels' which were not played at Joe Robbie.

Thankfully, both set lists contain "Monkey Man", which IMHO was one of the highlights of the Voodoo shows, along with "Heartbreaker" right up there. But maybe the best was when Mick popped up through the stage, playing his harp to the opening of "Not Fade Away" ... I got to see that right up close from Row 1 in Cincy !

Juggling around their set lists is one of things that the Stones have (mostly) always done in their career, unlike most acts which play a standard set list. And considering the huge canon from which they have to work from, it's a huge tribute to their abilities ... typically they will rehearse upwards of 70-80 tunes for a tour so that they can pick and choose from night to night. I'll never forget the first time I heard them do "Sway" as it was the first time they had ever performed it live. Just about every show you can expect them to pull out a nugget or two. Back when it was more affordable to do so, I'd catch 4-6 shows per tour just for that reason. I'm only doing 1 show for this tour but it will be big for me, my 50th anniversary ... saw them in '69 (thanks for taking me, Mom) and haven't missed a tour since !

P.S. - I was only hoping/guessing that the Japan show might have better PQ just because the Japanese have had better tech for much longer and they have a rep for filming so many concerts. I have some Japanese boots of concerts from the 90's and even the 80's that have pretty great PQ considering the day.

Last edited by Midnight Rambler; 01-20-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
P.S. - I was only hoping/guessing that the Japan show might have better PQ just because the Japanese have had better tech for much longer and they have a rep for filming so many concerts. I have some Japanese boots of concerts from the 90's and even the 80's that have pretty great PQ considering the day.
That might well be the case, and I certainly hope it is.

One final thing to note is that while the Florida show was greatly expanded from its original video release, this Japanese release is simply upgrading an existing video release. Of course, at the time of the original releases in 1995, it was the Japanese concert that was complete, while the Florida show was substantially incomplete and ran some 40 minutes shorter.

This might be a key reason behind Voodoo Lounge in Japan being exclusive to its home country--perhaps the band now see Voodoo Lounge Uncut as the definitive record of the Voodoo Lounge Tour, so releasing another concert video from the same tour seems superfluous, except perhaps in the country where that concert was held.

However, regardless of what is missing from the set list, I'm just happy to have another lengthy (over two hours) Stones concert on Blu-ray. The Stones are releasing a fabulous number of concerts on Blu-ray, but the last concert video exclusive to Japan (the additional February 1990 shows from the Tokyo Dome) was issued by Ward Records only on DVD, so it's great to have a Blu-ray option for this upcoming release.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
OH-IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
However, regardless of what is missing from the set list, I'm just happy to have another lengthy (over two hours) Stones concert on Blu-ray. The Stones are releasing a fabulous number of concerts on Blu-ray ...
I hear ya, I own just about every Blu they've released (and most of the old DVD's as well). Some of the "From the Vault" titles are quite good, despite only being SD on Blu. If I had a wish granted, it would be for a Blu of "Four Flicks" ... the show from the Olympia in Paris features one of their best set lists ever !
Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 AM   #11
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

So this is interesting. In spite of what Universal Music Japan is claiming about this being exclusive to Japan, it did get classified by the German FSK ratings board (submitted by Eagle Rock) back in November 2018:

https://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,2594735

So, that makes me suspicious that a European and/or North American release is coming later.

Quote:
I hear ya, I own just about every Blu they've released (and most of the old DVD's as well). Some of the "From the Vault" titles are quite good, despite only being SD on Blu. If I had a wish granted, it would be for a Blu of "Four Flicks" ... the show from the Olympia in Paris features one of their best set lists ever !
Indeed, I'd like to get all of the Stones' video and DVD concerts on Blu-ray / SD Blu-ray with lossless audio.

Last edited by McCrutchy; 01-21-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #12

Jan 2019

This release I still have on Laserdisc, I am happy that this is being released on BR so I can retire the LD. Great concert BTW.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music