Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.50

Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #21

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr3584 View Post
I am on the fence about upgrading to 4K. I currently have a Samsung 65in with a Sony soundbar and sub. The TV is in my living room so my family can watch ( viewing distance about 8 to 10 feet). Blu rays look great on the TV so Im wondering if the upgrade is worth it.
I think totally worth!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Yes, it is worth the upgrade. The problem is that you buy a TV and it's not ready to go, usually the colors are set right, the mode isn't set right, the motion is processed and has to be set.

So you have to make an effort to set up the TV, rather than unbox it, and it supposedly works great out of the box, hooked up immediately and as-is. I've never had a TV, not even the HD TVs, where I didn't have to calibrate, spend time figuring out the best settings for the display and display space. And once I did, it was stunning.

Biology: the higher resolution of UHD vs HD in and of itself will not be discernible unless you have a huge display (inside a huge room, not a living room or family room). But the much higher color processing (HDR and DolbyVision) is what you would instantly and obviously notice, unless your brain/eyes have some color processing problems. OR, if you haven't set up your TV correctly, or you TV actually lacks any HDR/DV processing.

Such as my friend who got in a hurry and bought the first TV he could find, which was 4K, but not HDR/DV. So when I attempted to set it up for him, I had great difficulty dialing in a good looking picture, as the colors were hard to manage. And looked merely adequate and somewhat washed out despite my best efforts. And the difference between HD and UHD was zero (without the color processing, and his 55 inch screen).
Old 03-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
Special Member

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildemon666 View Post
6 TCL TV and the LG UBK90
That might be your problem.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Yes.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

The switch from 1080p (HD) to 2160p (4K) isn't really a huge change. Resolution wise, a really nicely mastered 1080p Blu-ray looks pretty darn close to the 4K version of the same Blu-ray. The GAME CHANGER is HDR.

Not every 4K Blu-ray is as effective at maximizing the potential of HDR. My go-to demo 4K Blu-ray is the film 'Passengers' starring Jeniffer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. The space scenes in that film are downright breathtaking.

More expensive 4K HDR TVs generally have a higher maximum HDR brightness and more local dimming zones. More local dimming zones equals (generally) better blacks. And in space films like 'Passengers' those better blacks (combined with higher maximum brightness) are really what make HDR shine. Literally.

Mark
Thanks given by:
crackedknee (03-20-2019), guachi (03-22-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #26
Special Member

Jan 2015

I hate to say this, and maybe I'll change my mind, but after one year of tinkering, testing, trying, and comparing, for me it is not worth it. I have a SONY 900e, and I just can't see much difference between the blu-ray and 4K for the same title. I do think getting the best possible scan is important, but I'd rather watch in 3D on my 120" screen at 1080p.

I guess if you have to ask, then no it isn't.

I mean, we all had our jaws drop when DVD hit the scene. Blu-Ray, you could immediately see massive improvement. I think we're splitting hairs now.
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (03-20-2019), THUNDERSTRUCK (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
I hate to say this, and maybe I'll change my mind, but after one year of tinkering, testing, trying, and comparing, for me it is not worth it. I have a SONY 900e, and I just can't see much difference between the blu-ray and 4K for the same title. I do think getting the best possible scan is important, but I'd rather watch in 3D on my 120" screen at 1080p.

I guess if you have to ask, then no it isn't.

I mean, we all had our jaws drop when DVD hit the scene. Blu-Ray, you could immediately see massive improvement. I think we're splitting hairs now.
Hmm...

IMO the 900E is more than adequate in showing a great 4K/HDR picture.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #28
Special Member

Jan 2015

Yes, that's what I thought too. I am honestly frustrated by it, and don't know why it isn't knocking my socks off. I am using the SONY X800 UHD player with the TV. It should deliver results that wow right out of the box.

The results are good, yes. But if I pop in the John Wick Blu Ray, I can barely tell the difference when I A/B it with the UHD of the same title. Go figure.
Thanks given by:
oilers73 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Question Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player or another good choice!?

I'm just now getting 4K movies(future proof) & this would be my 1st 4K blu-ray player for a decent price.

My question is, since it will be my 1st experience with a 4K player(I'm not tech savvy at all ) should I get the Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player or another brand for this money value? I have a Sony X850D 4k LED TV!

Any help would be most appreciated, the more info the better for me! Thanks!!

Last edited by hagios; 03-20-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios View Post
I'm just now getting 4K movies(future proof) & this would be my 1st 4K blu-ray player for a decent price.

My question is, since it will be my 1st experience with a 4K player(I'm not tech savvy at all ) should I get the Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player or another brand for this money value? I have a Sony X850D 4k LED TV!

Any help would be most appreciated, the more info the better for me! Thanks!!
This will be available soon. https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...ers/ubp-x800m2.
Quote:
Sony UBP-X800M2 will be available from May
UBP-X800M2 also supports SACD and DVD-Audio as well as 4K streaming via Netflix and YouTube.
The X800M2 supports 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray playback and HDR formats including HDR10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log Gamma to deliver stunning picture quality to your home.
Thanks given by:
johnnyringo7 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Thanks, but will it be out of my price-range($200 sounds good now... I do not want to spend like $500 for that great Panny now though) for my 1st 4K player... will the UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player With HDR be too expensive for me right now?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #32
Special Member

Aug 2014
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Hmm...

IMO the 900E is more than adequate in showing a great 4K/HDR picture.
I agree, I have a 900E and it's the best TV I've ever owned.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #33
Special Member

Aug 2014
Montreal

Quote:
Yes, that's what I thought too. I am honestly frustrated by it, and don't know why it isn't knocking my socks off. I am using the SONY X800 UHD player with the TV. It should deliver results that wow right out of the box.

The results are good, yes. But if I pop in the John Wick Blu Ray, I can barely tell the difference when I A/B it with the UHD of the same title. Go figure.
Not all UHD discs are jaw-dropping, especially not early LG titles, I agree that John Wick isn't a huge upgrade. Some of the discs that blew my mind were 2001, Blade Runner 2049, Saving Private Ryan, Léon.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:

I’m starting to wonder if your SDR settings are too bright or your HDR are too low.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #35
Expert Member

Jul 2010

I can understand where the OP is coming from. I jumped all in on 4K. I went with higher end tv, a good player, good movies and it's just not worth it all to me. i can enjoy a movie just as well on my 46 inch 1080p samsung with sound bar as i can with a 4k hdr dolby vision tv. maybe i just don't want to put the energy or money into it anymore, i just don't know. i sold off pretty much everything over the last month or so and I have gone pretty much all digital. i'm still enjoying the movies just as much now as i did with the higher end stuff.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #36

Jun 2009

So last night I went home and popped American Psycho and the big labowski in UHD in the living room and 1080 in the bedroom and immediately was blown away! That is a huge difference! The BD is trash to the UHD. I will do more testing tomorrow my day off. When I popped in Labyrinth and TDK just from a few scenes I was like this looks just like the BD but I’ll will do a side by side.
Thanks given by:
gregmtl92 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #37
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildemon666 View Post
I have 30 plus 4K UHD movies and I don’t see a difference but when I do look at samples on YouTube I do.
Given this comment I'm guessing you're expecting crystal clear "SUPER HD" imagery, which isn't really what (most) films look like. 4k HDR stuff on Youtube is definitely more "poppy" and neat looking than your average film, which is graded more dark and moody, and has film grain and other things.

Try The Dark Tower, that's about the most crystal clear, bright and poppy 4k disc I've ever seen.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (03-21-2019), johnnyringo7 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #38

Jan 2010

For crystal clear, rather than film like, try Concussion. Alot of the new Sony releases are smooth and poppy. I actually prefer the filmlike dark and moody with film grain.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #39
Power Member

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

Eyes differ. That is something science tells us? I wonder if people with gear like a Sony 900E and TCL 6 series (totally capable) aren't just unfortunate to have eyes that don't respond as well to the specs this format offers. Because they report about resolution WRT blu-ray increase over DVD and not really report noticing the other things. It's like their eyes/brain are geared only for noticing resolution uptick.

I still can't get on board with "it's just splitting hairs" because of this percentage who can't experience it... because to those who see it, its a big upgrade. It's usually revelatory. It's always closer to the "source" that the directors and DP mastered from.

That alone makes it hard for me to justify any BD transfer. I watched Mad Max Fury Road on blu-ray so I could demo lossless sound for someone on the Oppo 83 and man it looked like a huuuuge step down
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #40
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
I more or less said the same thing a while ago here.

These instore 4K/HDR demos sure are nice to look at but they are not representative of what UHD is "supposed" to look like (and neither are those Gopro clips). Those demos are shot in a certain way and with an entirely different purpose than movies. I think this is also a problem with the average person's expectations of 4K/HDR. They see those demos in stores yet when they come home and watch Mission: Impossible Fallout , they find out it looks nothing alike.

I'm glad movies on UHD look like film like it's supposed to. That's also one of the reasons I only want 24p, absolutely no HFR for me. I don't want motion pictures to look like instore demos, I want them to look like actual movies.
I can't agree with the HFR thing as I wants moar of that stuff, but Y E S to your other points. People don't understand that aesthetics are in play here when it comes to movies and just having a 4K master isn't a guarantee of anything. OF COURSE I'd want everything finished in 4K in an ideal world, but this constant focus upon upscales as being the #1 shortcoming of UHD is not quite as straightforward as it may seem.

Look at Solo, that was shot 6.5K and mastered in 4K and yet it's easily the most contentious UHD for picture quality since, ooh, Goodfeathers (which was also mastered in 4K, funnily enough). Here's another example, and I'm not singling out Hedji here so please don't take this as me having a go at him, I'm just pointing this out given the choice of movie that he's mentioned:

Quote:

John Wick 1 was shot using some very soft lenses and it was also designed to have very muddy contrast, and despite it having been shot at 2.8K for a 4K finish (yep, it's another one folks!) the UHD can at first glance seem to be very similar to the the regular BD. There's absolutely a case of diminishing returns when it comes to 4K resolution - I bet those same 4K videos on youtube that are knocking people on their arses would also look pretty damned tasty in 1080p as well - which is why HDR is such an important component for me. The problem is that it needs a killer TV and a darkened room to really get the most out of it.

Last edited by Geoff D; 03-20-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (03-21-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology