Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
21 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Local Hero (Blu-ray)
$30.37
8 hrs ago
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Polyester (Blu-ray)
$27.37

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #41
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
Email Yamaha...they have great customer service. Usually respond within 24-hours.

John
Thanks. I may do that. There's a review on the Amazon page that seems pretty well informed that says it doesn't play DVD-A or SACD over HDMI. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #42

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonic View Post
Thanks. I may do that. There's a review on the Amazon page that seems pretty well informed that says it doesn't play DVD-A or SACD over HDMI. Thanks again.
Are you referring to it not being able to handle DSD over HDMI?

John
Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #43
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
Are you referring to it not being able to handle DSD over HDMI?

John
I guess so. DVD-A and SACD multi-channel audio over HDMI.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #44

Jul 2007

Quote:
I guess so. DVD-A and SACD multi-channel audio over HDMI.
I'm a little confused Kryptonic. Multi-channel is analog..HDMI is digital. Are you talking about surround sound instead?

John
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #45
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
I'm a little confused Kryptonic. Multi-channel is analog..HDMI is digital. Are you talking about surround sound instead?

John
I'm referring to the player being able to pass multi-channel PCM SACD and DVD-A audio over HDMI. Based on a review, it looks like it only does this over the multi-channel outputs.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #46

Jul 2007

Quote:
I'm referring to the player being able to pass multi-channel PCM SACD and DVD-A audio over HDMI. Based on a review, it looks like it only does this over the multi-channel outputs.
I looked at a few pages about this player and I didn't find many details, so I think you'd be best to email Yamaha for a factual answer. But I would think that at the very least it should pass PCM over HDMI.

John
Old 02-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #47
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlacervilleGuy View Post
I do, and man, it's GREAT! Depending on the speakers you're listening to, the difference can be subtle or dramatic. On my system, the AVR does not allow any EQ on the Multi-Channel inputs, but it's the only way to listen to the DVD-A track. If I want to use the MCACC room correction, I'm stuck with DD or DTS, either of which ain't bad either. But even still, the DVD-A track sounds great, an for Pete's sake, it's in surround!!!. Beatles in SURROUND!! I CRIED the first time I listened to it! I was sorely disappointed that with all the hype of the remastering of the Beatles' catalog, they gave us what? Stereo and mono? No surround mix, after whetting our appetite with "Help" and "Love"?!?! Bastards! Unless you're some kind of weird "purist" and can't stand the idea of "alternate mixes" of Beatles' songs, "LOVE" is a must-have!! The one thing I thought was kinda screwy about it was the mastering used for the disk. Most multi-format disks I've come across allow you to choose which track to listen to via an on-screen menu like any other DVD, either called "Audio" or "setup". This disk defaults to DVD-A. If you want to listen to DD or DTS, you have to find a different menu IN YOUR PLAYER that says "Play As DVD-Video", and THEN you can get to the DD or DTS tracks! Screwy!

To the other post-er looking for a DVD-A / SACD player for $100: Good luck! Of the very few that were made (what, one or two?) they were WAY more than that! But then, maybe someone's selling one on ebay or craigslist....
Thanks for the feedback. I would say I'm a casual Beatles fan and since it's still readily available at Amazon I thought I'd ask first before buying. Besides 2-channel I also love listening to 5.1 music as long as it's properly done. Sad to say those albums are few are far between. About the audio setup, that's a non-issue for me as I have a dedicated sacd/dvd-a player and probably would never ever listen to the DD or DTS tracks.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #48
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Most of the high-rez discs I have would require you to select DVD-Video in player setting before accessing the VIDEO_TS folder.

I think it's only dts discs that allow the MLP and lossy tracks to be selected from the same menu.

There have been a few good players for $99, I got the Pioneer Elite DV-48 from Vanns new for $99 when the 49 was released.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
That is correct. To get multi-cahnnel audio, you need analog connection. With HDMI, you can play the 2-channel CD track of the hybrid SACD albums. In my case, I plan to use the player in my two-channel system with two analog cables on a vintage Carver preamp. Multi-channel and HDMI are irrelevant for me.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #50
Suspended

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
That is correct. To get multi-cahnnel audio, you need analog connection. With HDMI, you can play the 2-channel CD track of the hybrid SACD albums. In my case, I plan to use the player in my two-channel system with two analog cables on a vintage Carver preamp. Multi-channel and HDMI are irrelevant for me.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Does anyone know if DVD-Audio discs from Europe are region-coded? In other words, will I have to worry about PAL or something similar?

Justin
Old 07-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #52
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
Does anyone know if DVD-Audio discs from Europe are region-coded? In other words, will I have to worry about PAL or something similar?

Justin
There are no region codes to worry about when buying DVD-Audios from around the world. I have never come across one that is not playable on an American player. You are more likely to run into compatibility problems with specific players because of firmware issues or poor authoring.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
There are no region codes to worry about when buying DVD-Audios from around the world. I have never come across one that is not playable on an American player. You are more likely to run into compatibility problems with specific players because of firmware issues or poor authoring.
Thanks, now I can order a few titles I've been looking at out of the UK.

Justin
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #54

Jul 2007
Somewhere warm
Default Music Direct DVD-A Link Broken

The link to Music Direct at the beginning of this thread is broken. The correct one is http://www.musicdirect.com/c-512-dvd-audio.aspx.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

The only Dvd-a I can ever remember seeing was Bjorks Vespertine. I know Rush was doing something. What is the release flow like?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsteve View Post
The only Dvd-a I can ever remember seeing was Bjorks Vespertine. I know Rush was doing something. What is the release flow like?
nothing really but I'm a big fan of Steven Wilson, as many probably know by now, and he tends to work on DVD-A and who knows if he continues to remix for older bands (namely Jethro Tull Aqualung 40th mix and King Crimson's back catalog in DVD-A). Good for KC fans, who knows what may happen, but it's more wishful thinking as I like DVD-A as a format and with the right software, playable on a pc also.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #57

May 2013
Ukraine

Nice work!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #58

Sep 2013

Good site, thanks for all this information.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music