Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
12 hrs ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66
22 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.98
1 day ago
Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49
 
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.82
20 hrs ago
G.I. Joe 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Heroes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
2 hrs ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95
 
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
307
1003
100
Default Blu-ray drive - internal or external?

So I've been interested in getting a Blu-ray drive for my PC. It currently only has a DVD drive, but I want to upgrade so I can watch my Blu-rays on my PC, which is currently connected via HDMI to my plasma.

I've done minimal research but I wanted to ask you fine people who might be able to steer me in the right direction. Which should I look into purchasing? An internal drive that I could install in my PC, or an external drive? Would there be much of a difference? What do you recommend?

Also, once I eventually get the Blu-ray drive, I intend to use it only to watch my movies on my PC. Reason being, I have a couple nice studio monitors hooked up to my PC and so watching movies this way is far more appealing than the alternative. I don't own a nice home theater system, so this is the best I can do at the moment. It works for me though.

Anyway, I've looked into it and it's apparently not as easy as just getting the drive and putting in a disc and playing it, due to certain restrictions. Apparently there are a couple options for playback... modded VLC, Leawo... but for those that watch on their PC's through a Blu-ray drive, what do you use? Would like some recommendations.

Thanks to anyone willing to share their insights on the matter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
204
1339
4
42
316
Default

Iím away on a business trip but Iíd say internal SATA Blu-ray drive and have no problems with it. I have an older Dell optiplex 3020 workstation with an i7 running win 10 pro, 16gb of ram and a 2gb nvidia GeForce graphics card. I have no problems watching Blu-ray movies, tv shows or burning to Blu-ray writable/re-writable discs.

To me, the biggest pain in the ass is what software to use to enable your ability to watch those Blu-ray Discs. There are some free ones that usually do advertising on the boarder or there is the Ďbuy ití software type. Both have pros and cons. If your serious, I say bite the bullet and buy a decent player software and enjoy yourself. I know some will say get a free one and for their needs that might be fine. You will have to make up your mind. No matter what I say or anyone says.

Best of luck and Iíll let you know the brand model of my player/Writer. I do not watch a lot of things on the pc, itís mostly for burning data and things, but I do once in a while watch a tv show or a rare movie on my pc via the player with a Blu-ray Disc.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-04-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 04:45 AM   #3
SillyG SillyG is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia
28
184
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju View Post
Anyway, I've looked into it and it's apparently not as easy as just getting the drive and putting in a disc and playing it, due to certain restrictions. Apparently there are a couple options for playback... modded VLC, Leawo... but for those that watch on their PC's through a Blu-ray drive, what do you use? Would like some recommendations.
From memory (it's been a little while) I was using the free version of Leawo to watch Blu-rays on my laptop. You get a nag pop-up upon booting it up, but that's the only real downside I have experienced.

I have an Alienware laptop (bought at retail rather than a custom one) that doesn't have an optical drive, but I use my external Blu-ray burner to use my Blus. The older laptop that I last watched Blus on has an internal Blu-ray driver (not a burner), but I would have overwhelmingly preferred a laptop with a Blu-ray driver considering that I still regularly use discs.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jan 2007
205
Default

I always use internal Blu-ray drives for desktop computers and Laptop/Notebook style computers. However for those that have a very small Notebook computer with no optical drive slot, a external Blu-ray drive needs to be used.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
307
1003
100
Default

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just need to look into a Windows 10 compatible internal Blu-ray drive that doesn't suck. If anyone has any recommendations that'd be great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jan 2007
205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just need to look into a Windows 10 compatible internal Blu-ray drive that doesn't suck. If anyone has any recommendations that'd be great.
This is the best high-end Pioneer 4K Blu-ray computer drive option on the market for the year 2019. It just came out in the 4rth quarter of 2019:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ves/BDR-212UBK

2019 Pioneer BDR-212UBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray computer drive (TOP OF THE LINE)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=322359

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-07-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jan 2007
205
Default

New Egg website has the 2019 Pioneer BDR-212UBK for a list price of $139.99.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-07-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
204
1339
4
42
316
Default

i have this drive by LG installed as I mentioned to you above, LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

i use it to burn Blu-ray media writeable & re-writeable discs as well as dvds. I also use it to occasionally watch tv series and once in a while a movie on the computer with no problems.

i'm running Win 10 Pro, i7 quad core w/8 threads, 16gb of ram and a Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 graphics card. it's in a Dell OptiPlex 3020 with zero problems.

aside from the hardware drive, I think, your biggest decision will be what player to use. if you don't want to pay retail (for software that doesn't include advertising scroll) perhaps someone knows of a free player that doesn't do that and doesn't leave a bunch of junk on your pc, perhaps that you don't even know is there. that's why I purchased retail software for movies and tv on Blu-ray disc. I do burning simply via win 10.

best of luck. keep us posted.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (12-06-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #9
AmishParadise AmishParadise is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
AmishParadise's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Central Florida
23
2
Default

I had a couple LG External Blu-ray Writers for the longest time that supported eSATA and USB 2.0. The drives in both had given out. Well, I still have the enclosures. Swapped out the drives. Purchased a couple internal LG WH14NS40's which are pictured below.



The drives have been fantastic so far. I even installed custom firmware, so that the drives could read UHD Blu-ray's. Running AnyDVD HD in the background within Windows 7 making both drives Region Free. To watch Blu-ray's I use PowerDVD 18. For burning to disc I use ImgBurn.

And here's what the external's looked like before I swapped the drives out. Well, the one pictured on top. When installing the new drives I had to leave the front faceplate off the enclosures. I also had to drill new holes in the metal sleeves you slide the drives into in order to secure them. Fun, fun, fun.


Last edited by AmishParadise; 12-06-2019 at 10:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 03:32 AM   #10
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
307
1003
100
Default

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I've looked into some of these options, but I'm concerned about my PC being able to support some of them. Admittedly, it's not top of the line. Only an i3 processor. I'll share my specs with you guys in case you can tell me if what I have is sufficient enough. If not, maybe other options can be explored.





It's not slow by any means, but definitely not up to par with a lot of PC's today. I got it rather cheap so I can't complain. It plays video smoothly through VLC, YouTube, and other streaming platforms, so hopefully it would be good enough to support a Blu-ray drive, but I don't know. Let me know your thoughts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:38 AM   #11
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
307
1003
100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
i have this drive by LG installed as I mentioned to you above, LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter
I might be thinking of getting this one. I've read some of the comments on Amazon and some say it might not play movies though? Is that right? How did you get yours to play Blu-rays? Just wanna make sure I get as much info before I make a purchase. Do you also need to purchase software for it to run? Thanks for your feedback.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #12
AmishParadise AmishParadise is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
AmishParadise's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Central Florida
23
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju View Post
I might be thinking of getting this one. I've read some of the comments on Amazon and some say it might not play movies though? Is that right? How did you get yours to play Blu-rays? Just wanna make sure I get as much info before I make a purchase. Do you also need to purchase software for it to run? Thanks for your feedback.
Any Blu-ray drive will be able to play Blu-ray discs including the WH16NS40. (UHD Blu-ray playback is another story entirely.) You just need to acquire a software based Blu-ray player. I use PowerDVD 18 myself. And your computer specs are more than adequate. I play Blu-ray's all the time on my 10 year old Alienware M15x laptop. No issues. (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Intel i7 Q820 @ 1.73GHz | 8GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #13
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jan 2007
205
Default

If you do not need 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray support and if you do not need 128GB and 100GB BDXL optical disc support. Then the cheapest Pioneer BDR-209DBK drive on the market that does 50GB-25GB Blu-ray’s, DVD’s and audio CD’s is $74.99 with free shipping from Amazon. I have never had a problem with a Pioneer optical drives, however I have seen some lower cost LG DVD optical drives with recording issues and sometimes breaking. However to be fair I have not tried a LG optical Blu-ray drive to compare it to the Pioneer. The Blu-ray drives from LG are made better when compared to the lower cost DVD drives from LG. And they should be since a top of the line 18 times read only DVD-ROM drive can be purchased for around $20.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
307
1003
100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Any Blu-ray drive will be able to play Blu-ray discs including the WH16NS40. (UHD Blu-ray playback is another story entirely.) You just need to acquire a software based Blu-ray player. I use PowerDVD 18 myself. And your computer specs are more than adequate. I play Blu-ray's all the time on my 10 year old Alienware M15x laptop. No issues. (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Intel i7 Q820 @ 1.73GHz | 8GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M)
Okay, I looked back and it was one guy who was debunked in the comments on Amazon. Sorry about that. I'll look into PowerDVD 18 and Leawo once I get the drive and determine which to get. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
If you do not need 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray support and if you do not need 128GB and 100GB BDXL optical disc support. Then the cheapest Pioneer BDR-209DBK drive on the market that does 50GB-25GB Blu-rayís, DVDís and audio CDís is $74.99 with free shipping from Amazon. I have never had a problem with a Pioneer optical drives, however I have seen some lower cost LG DVD optical drives with recording issues and sometimes breaking. However to be fair I have not tried a LG optical Blu-ray drive to compare it to the Pioneer. The Blu-ray drives from LG are made better when compared to the lower cost DVD drives from LG. And they should be since a top of the line 18 times read only DVD-ROM drive can be purchased for around $20.
Hmm, I'll look into the Pioneer as well. Was always under the impression they make top quality products so maybe that will be better! Thank you guys for your feedback. I'll probably be buying it next payday, so I'll keep you updated once I get it and install it. Thanks again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:58 AM   #15
Kaiju Kaiju is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Kaiju's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
307
1003
100
Default

Hey guys. Finally got my Blu-ray drive and installed it. Works so far! Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. Much appreciated.

I narrowed it down to this one: Pioneer Electronics USA Internal Blu-Ray Writer (BDR-209DBK) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2GTXKS

Thanks again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #16
Masx Masx is offline
New Member
 
Dec 2019
Default

Looking for an external drive to carry around and saw this one: BDR-XS07UHD that seems to be recently released. Can't find much info on it other than the product information. Any one have one of these or have more experience with BD drives in general give their opinion on this product?

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #17
BDBooking BDBooking is offline
Active Member
 
BDBooking's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
OC NY
110
8
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masx View Post
Looking for an external drive to carry around and saw this one: BDR-XS07UHD that seems to be recently released. Can't find much info on it other than the product information. Any one have one of these or have more experience with BD drives in general give their opinion on this product?

Thanks!
For the most part, external media drives (like a CD/DVD/BD ROM/Burner) operate exactly like internal drives. The only difference is topology (internally its SATA connection while on the outside its of a USB style). If the program you use detects the drive, rips and/or burns the data, you'll be in business. You should be fine to use that device.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:58 AM   #18
Clark Griswold Clark Griswold is offline
Active Member
 
Clark Griswold's Avatar
 
Dec 2013
2
175
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I had a couple LG External Blu-ray Writers for the longest time that supported eSATA and USB 2.0. The drives in both had given out. Well, I still have the enclosures. Swapped out the drives. Purchased a couple internal LG WH14NS40's which are pictured below.



The drives have been fantastic so far. I even installed custom firmware, so that the drives could read UHD Blu-ray's. Running AnyDVD HD in the background within Windows 7 making both drives Region Free. To watch Blu-ray's I use PowerDVD 18. For burning to disc I use ImgBurn.

And here's what the external's looked like before I swapped the drives out. Well, the one pictured on top. When installing the new drives I had to leave the front faceplate off the enclosures. I also had to drill new holes in the metal
sleeves you slide the drives into in order to secure them. Fun, fun, fun.

Do the internal drives in external enclosures perform the same as they would it they were internally installed? I have an LG internal , like the one you have in your pictures. I was thinking about purchasing one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-536S3-BK-NexStar-External-Enclosure/dp/B01MRUN0HQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=optical+drive+enclosu re&qid=1587441477&sr=8-3
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #19
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
213
3262
2160
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Griswold View Post
Do the internal drives in external enclosures perform the same as they would it they were internally installed?
As long as they're connected to decent speed connections there won't be much of a difference, you should still get decent transfer rates, you've just got to account for the external power supply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:26 AM   #20
BijouMan BijouMan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2020
-
-
-
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
As long as they're connected to decent speed connections there won't be much of a difference, you should still get decent transfer rates, you've just got to account for the external power supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Any Blu-ray drive will be able to play Blu-ray discs including the WH16NS40. (UHD Blu-ray playback is another story entirely.) You just need to acquire a software based Blu-ray player. I use PowerDVD 18 myself. And your computer specs are more than adequate. I play Blu-ray's all the time on my 10 year old Alienware M15x laptop. No issues. (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit | Intel i7 Q820 @ 1.73GHz | 8GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju View Post
Hey guys. Finally got my Blu-ray drive and installed it. Works so far! Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. Much appreciated.

I narrowed it down to this one: Pioneer Electronics USA Internal Blu-Ray Writer (BDR-209DBK) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2GTXKS

Thanks again.
I suggest that you guys tell Macgo about using Apple's T2 Security Chip to allow legal playback of Ultra HD Blu-ray discs on Mac computers (I have one of those.) Here is their address: support@macblurayplayer.com. For more information on this see my post on this thread. Tell other members of this forum to tell them as well.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:21 PM.