Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
1 hr ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
9 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
1 hr ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
11 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19
23 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
Special Member

Jan 2008
San Diego
Default Question re: ceiling speakers.

Hey there.

I currently have a 7.1 setup. Two front floor towers, center, 2 front atmos speakers, two rear surrounds, and the woofer. We are doing a living room addition which is now where the tv will be. I have an opportunity to do ceiling speakers. Would still do the center, and towers up front. My question is re: the ceiling speakers. Would you do two up front and two rear? Would the ceiling set up be more beneficial than the current? Thanks for any input and advice!!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2008
San Diego

If this is in the wrong forum, lmk and I'll put it where it is supposed to be.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:20 AM   #3

Mar 2009

By "front atmos speakers" do you mean they are directly above your front sound stage or off to the side - like a wide set up? Are they already on the ceiling?
I just wanted to clarify the position of your current lay out and what you are thinking of changing it to...

I am currently in the process of building my own theater so I can't speak with personal experience of atmos speakers. But I am very excited to give it a go. From what I have read, adding height channels ( on the ceiling) is definitely the way to go. If you can get 4 speakers up there - awesome! But if you can't 2 in the ceiling and then 2 surrounds apparently is very cool as well. If you just have two speakers at the front of your room playing a ceiling atmos track then yes moving them to the ceiling would be better.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:27 AM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2008
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamont360 View Post
By "front atmos speakers" do you mean they are directly above your front sound stage or off to the side - like a wide set up? Are they already on the ceiling?
I just wanted to clarify the position of your current lay out and what you are thinking of changing it to...

I am currently in the process of building my own theater so I can't speak with personal experience of atmos speakers. But I am very excited to give it a go. From what I have read, adding height channels ( on the ceiling) is definitely the way to go. If you can get 4 speakers up there - awesome! But if you can't 2 in the ceiling and then 2 surrounds apparently is very cool as well. If you just have two speakers at the front of your room playing a ceiling atmos track then yes moving them to the ceiling would be better.
Thanks for the reply!

My current atmos speakers sit on top of the front towers and fire upwards.

So the atmos speakers would still go in the front of the sound field? Guess thats another thing I am kinda confused about. Is atmos designed / supposed to be up front?
Old 10-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Dolby's website is pretty good... sounds like you should have read through it as it should address your questions, straight from the source, no one's opinions.

If you're moving to a 7.1.4 setup start here:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (10-26-2017), The_Donster (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
The Diamond Capital of North America™

I had this and it fricken rocks!:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

If at all possible to do this, I recommend it completely.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
Dolby's website is pretty good... sounds like you should have read through it as it should address your questions, straight from the source, no one's opinions.

If you're moving to a 7.1.4 setup start here:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html
Hahaha, we sourced the same within minutes, but you beat me to the punch.
Yes, that is the way to go!
Thanks given by:
roar (10-26-2017), The_Donster (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2008
San Diego

Thanks guys. Unfortunatly upgrading the receiver isnt a option right now. I currently use the Denon AVR-S710W. So will have to stay within its limitations for now.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Special Member

Jan 2008
San Diego

Thanks for pointing me towards Dolby. Looks like I will be doing the 5.1.2 setup. With the atmos in ceiling. Replacing my front up firing atmos speakers with the ceiling ones.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Sorry to piggy back on this. Thanks for the links on the set up roar and Scarriere. While I won't be doing the ceiling speakers, it does give me some ideas for my room set up. Do you guys have your other speakers mounted on the walls or speaker stands? Right now I only have my fronts, center and subwoofer set up. So I can only imagine how it sounds once I get the rest in place.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Sorry to piggy back on this. Thanks for the links on the set up roar and Scarriere. While I won't be doing the ceiling speakers, it does give me some ideas for my room set up. Do you guys have your other speakers mounted on the walls or speaker stands? Right now I only have my fronts, center and subwoofer set up. So I can only imagine how it sounds once I get the rest in place.
My front left and right are Axiom M80 towers, my centre is an Axiom VP180 horizontal and on a stand I made. The rear's are on-wall B&W DS6's, the sides are in-wall Paradigm H65-IW's and the 4 height channels are in-ceiling Paradigms H65-R's.

You can see them in my build thread: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=30
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (10-28-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction