Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
8 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
10 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
23 min ago
Overlord (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19
22 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
23 min ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 07-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #121
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelc05 View Post
Looks like an awful lot of work, but it looks amazing.
Indeed it was a lot of work. Well worth it though.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #122

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK

Top notch, will be hoping to make a much smaller but similar effort in the future. Great share & many thanks!
Thanks given by:
Kevinicus (07-20-2016)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #123
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

very classy looking! question is your Atmos set up for .2 or .4 overhead speakers - I really like how the speakers are unseeable.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #124
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Wow that is amazing! If you wanted to impress people and at the same time fake us feel like crap, well you've done a fine job
Thanks given by:
Kevinicus (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #125
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
very classy looking! question is your Atmos set up for .2 or .4 overhead speakers - I really like how the speakers are unseeable.
It is .4 right now. It is wired for .6, so when an AVR that is capable of that is available at a "reasonable" price, I will make that upgrade.

4K/HDR upgrade will be coming too, but I might give them another year or two to work things out.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #126
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by civiclx View Post
Wow that is amazing! If you wanted to impress people and at the same time make us feel like crap, well you've done a fine job
That was my goal from the beginning.
Thanks given by:
collectivecoy (08-19-2018), THF90 (11-25-2018)
Old 02-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #127
Power Member

Apr 2011

Over two and a half years since my last update, but I am finally making the jump to 4K. I am upgrading my Panasonic AE8000U to a new JVC NX7.

Unfortunately, the NX7 is considerably larger and heavier than the Panasonic, and so some modifications to the room were necessary.

The increased depth of the projector means it would hit the soffit in the room. And I can't move the projector forward, because then it would be too much in the path of someone sitting in the 2nd row.
So, the new location will be behind the second row, between the rear columns. I avoided putting a projector here initially as I intended it to be a pathway for people to use to exit discreetly when using the bathroom. Turns out it never gets used, so it's a good location now.

Unfortunately, this area is the soffit area built around some ducting, and it's not the strongest support. If I was using the 20 lb. Panasonic, I would be okay with it, but the JVC is more than double that, and I'm not taking any chances with equipment that expensive. The solution was to build a shelf attached to the wall. Again, the size of the projector presented challenges. With about 19" of depth, plus an additional 8" of clearance needed behind the projector, that meant the shelf would extend 27" from the wall. That meant some serious heavy-duty L-Brackets, some wiring work, and eventually reworking one of my fabric panels.

This is my progress so far:

Removed the fabric panels and acoustic panels underneath. Marked stud locations and made sure they would provide the proper support for the shelf...

Cut holes in the drywall for electrical connection, HDMI/Ethernet cables, and for attachment of the L Brackets to the studs. The studs are 24" x 16".

Here is one of the brackets with some reference for size.

Here I have the cables fished through the walls, and one of the L Brackets attached to the stud.

Here is after the 2nd stud is attached.

Then I got to patch up the holes with some mud (The green tape is so that I could see the brackets easier - bumped my head a couple times prior to this).

Then I took some leftover fabric I had, and stapled it to the wall. The fabric panel that was here before will need to be modified and go over most of this area, but the part directly behind the projector will need the full space back to the wall, so this was my way of matching the panel and avoiding painting.

Then I finished wiring up everything (HDMI/Ethernet aren't connected to the AVR/Network yet).

And then I put up the bottom two panels so things looked more finished until I can get the shelf cut, painted, and installed, as well as the fabric panel modified (color is off taking pics with my phone).

And that is where I am now. I need to build the shelf, modify the fabric panel, and install both. Then, of course, I need to get the projector, which I'm told will be soon.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #128

Apr 2007
australia

Looks great. Well done mate.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #129

Apr 2019

Looks great so far, looking forward to seeing the next update!
Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #130
Power Member

Apr 2011

Guess I only updated in the galleries thread.

Got paint matched blocks installed around the brackets. Got the shelf put up. Got the fabric panel modified. And, of course, I got the new projector upgrade in place.

The old projector is no longer there (sold on ebay), and I have a blank black wall plate on the ceiling to cover the holes from the old mount.
Thanks given by:
Gory (06-13-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #131
Special Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

LOL, feck me that projector is huge. Love the idea of L brackets, been wondering what to do about attaching my projector. Would rather go on the back wall than the ceiling. Or I can attach it to the front of the soffit, I like this.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #132

Mar 2012
Monument, CO

Congrats. I went to a projector shootout recently, where the RS2000/NX7 was shown alongside several more expensive Sony and JVC projectors, and in most cases it looked as good as any of them. You will love that projector.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #133
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
LOL, feck me that projector is huge. Love the idea of L brackets, been wondering what to do about attaching my projector. Would rather go on the back wall than the ceiling. Or I can attach it to the front of the soffit, I like this.
It was about the only way I could make it work. While the framing of the soffit is strong enough for the drywall, there's no way I would trust it holding the weight of this projector.

Here is where I got the L brackets Mine were the largest ones they had.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction