Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
23 min ago
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Who Saw Her Die? (Blu-ray)
$26.42
4 hrs ago
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #21

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
I'm not necessarily condoning what a buddy did one time but it is something to consider... he actually pulled the carpet up on main floor and cut a slit in his flooring between the I-beamís wide enough for two pieces of drywall and 'dropped' them through the ceiling. He patched the hole up in his floor moved the carpet back over and no ones the wiser. Saved a lot of time going up and down stairs and his stair case would have required all pieces to be cut because he couldn't make his turn.
Oh man!!!!! Yeah that seems like the exact opposite of home improvement!!! LMAO! Honestly if I had that much of an issue I think I would just try to pass it down through basement windows. Or just bust the drywall out on the landing and pass it through the studs.

The reason I want to change the stairs, primarily, is to gain the floor space. The bar I'd like to put in needs the floor space that the bottom of the stairs currently inhabits. But it would make getting things down stairs a whole lot easier.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #22

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL
Default Stair pictures

Here are the stair pictures as promised.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJhilzy View Post
Oh man!!!!! Yeah that seems like the exact opposite of home improvement!!! LMAO! Honestly if I had that much of an issue I think I would just try to pass it down through basement windows. Or just bust the drywall out on the landing and pass it through the studs.

The reason I want to change the stairs, primarily, is to gain the floor space. The bar I'd like to put in needs the floor space that the bottom of the stairs currently inhabits. But it would make getting things down stairs a whole lot easier.
Speaking of your basement windows... I've never seen window wells like that before, there crazy huge! Hope the drainage works well on them... if not you could make one heck of a nice fish bowl
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Based on the last picture, I see no reason why you could not go straight.

The builder probably did it for design purposed (aesthetics) and no other reason.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

i'm an old electrician and the first thing i noticed (if i noticed anything) is that it appears that all your wiring is in conduit (EMT w/setscrews) very nice, easy to upgrade and pull new circuits!

is it conduit throughout the entire house or only in the basement?

don't think i didn't catch that bonding jumper on the inlet & outlet of the water heater; cause I did!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #26

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
i'm an old electrician and the first thing i noticed (if i noticed anything) is that it appears that all your wiring is in conduit (EMT w/setscrews) very nice, easy to upgrade and pull new circuits!

is it conduit throughout the entire house or only in the basement?

don't think i didn't catch that bonding jumper on the inlet & outlet of the water heater; cause I did!
The house is new construction (2003) so its conduit through out. Well all I can say about the jumper is they built the house well!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #27

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Speaking of your basement windows... I've never seen window wells like that before, there crazy huge! Hope the drainage works well on them... if not you could make one heck of a nice fish bowl
The house has great drainage, or has as long as we've been here. Apparently the water table is really low because the sump pump has been bone dry for almost two years. And the back yard slopes away, so that helps!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #28

Sep 2009
colchester Vermont
Send a message via Yahoo to 86surf

Quote:
I'm not necessarily condoning what a buddy did one time but it is something to consider... he actually pulled the carpet up on main floor and cut a slit in his flooring between the I-beam’s wide enough for two pieces of drywall and 'dropped' them through the ceiling. He patched the hole up in his floor moved the carpet back over and no ones the wiser. Saved a lot of time going up and down stairs and his stair case would have required all pieces to be cut because he couldn't make his turn.
I never thought about that but I could see the difficulty in not having a opening on the lower floor in the basement.
I guess having a raised ranch with a garage helps in moving dry wall and lumber in and out.

Any chance you can maybe dig out one of the window openings and put a walk out there?
It would make things alot easier.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #29

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86surf View Post
I never thought about that but I could see the difficulty in not having a opening on the lower floor in the basement.
I guess having a raised ranch with a garage helps in moving dry wall and lumber in and out.

Any chance you can maybe dig out one of the window openings and put a walk out there?
It would make things alot easier.
I'm sure I could but I only have the two windows in the basement and they are on the back side of the house. My back yard is not all that big, so if I were to do that I think I would lose more than I would gain. Not to mention the expense!! Also I'd have to carry everything all the way around the house instead of just right in through the garage door and then down the stairs.

The stairs as they sit now are plenty large enough to move even the largest couch down. I really just want to move them to gain the real estate for my bar area.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #30

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Based on the last picture, I see no reason why you could not go straight.

The builder probably did it for design purposed (aesthetics) and no other reason.

Good luck!
Thanks Ham, yeah that's what I was figuring, asthetics and to follow the path of the stairs above.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #31

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

SOOOOOOOOOO. I'm back!!! After a few speed bumps in the road. (Birth of our son, employment issues, time) I think its time to get this train rolling again. I want to thank all of you who have commented, shared opinions, and answered my questions. Trust me there will be many more to come.

Question 1: (see I told you) Should I continue this thread or start a whole new one because I have been gone for so long?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

welcome back. just continue it, no need to start a new one.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #33

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Quick poll: How did you pay for your builds? Did you; A) Pay cash out of pocket
B) Finance via plastic (credit card/store credit card) C) Home loan/home equity loan/second mortgage?
Old 11-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Quick poll: How did you pay for your builds? Did you; A) Pay cash out of pocket
B) Finance via plastic (credit card/store credit card) C) Home loan/home equity loan/second mortgage?
I'd keep this thread going if for no other reason than to motivate me to resurrect my abandoned build thread that I've been waiting a couple of years to start working on... and on that note I answer your pole question. Cash. If I can't afford to pay cash for what I consider a nonessential purchase then I wait. The only debt I have is my mortgage and that drives me crazy, I couldn't imagine another loan. Since we've moved into our new house we've let other major purchases take priority over finishing the basement... we keep saying the basement is next so we'll see, still saving.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #35

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Has anyone used any home automation for lighting? I saw the sticky thread but I'm curious what anyone has used and if they are happy with it? Are there any recommendations? Any bad experiences?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Has anyone used any home automation for lighting? I saw the sticky thread but I'm curious what anyone has used and if they are happy with it? Are there any recommendations? Any bad experiences?
Things have changed on the automation front since I was active in it. Used to do some Crestron programming on the side but have strayed well away from it in recent years. With that said, Lutron has a pretty good product offering. We've installed it at the office recently and it can all be controlled via your smartphone, if you want it integrated into your remote I imagine Logitech has an offering on the low end of the cost spectrum.

From my understanding the majority of automation solutions these days are IP based as opposed to serial so that really opens integration options up... if you're handy at all with development you could likely whip something up as a lot of the protocols/interfaces/api's are well documented from the vendors.

I did finally get our basement finished and I elected against spending the extra money on automation this time around. No doubt it is cool but I found the only time I really used it in the old theatre was more to show off my theatre to other people. Pushing pause on my Crestron mobile app to pause a movie and bring the house lights up is neat and all... but not necessary in a small space like I have.

Everything has an app these days, the appleTV has an app, my marantz AVR has an app, I use my PS4 or XBox One S controller to playback my movies... not as seamless but plenty practical. I had more spare time back when the kids were younger I think .
Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #37

Oct 2012
Aurora, IL

Thanks roar, I'll look into it I know Logitech is about to brick their current all in one offering for their newer set up. I don't need it to auto dim with the movie starting but I'd just like to have programmable light modes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction