Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
17 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
14 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
17 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64
17 hrs ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Doom: Annihilation (Blu-ray)
$14.95
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Well the builder has said they've found the problem and fixed it (3rd time they've said that). But they might be right this time.

I'm really tempted to say screw it and go ahead with construction anyway. I can't stand the thought of yet another winter without having my media room done.

One option I'm considering is getting one of the network cameras that you can input a fluid sensor to and put it in the problem location. Then if it does leak again at least I'll know and the builder (home warranty) would be responsible for paying the cost to redo that section of drywall again.

Great idea on the camera. Someone will get tired of fixing it if it happens again.....They do it enough times hopefully they will get it right!!!!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Well as previously mentioned, the basement got put off until next year.

But I did make some progress on my own. I was itching to get the corner of the basement done. It houses my equipment rack and I had all my media in there sitting on the floor.

I decided to finish mudding the drywall, paint, and install shelving to hold all my media. I called around to various contractors and they were all booked out into next year. So in the end I just decided to roll up my sleeves and do it myself.

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out.

Check it out in my gallery - Media Room.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #23
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!
Well first of all... nice rack!

Are the lower cabinets/shelving units on the floor also part of the Besta line from Ikea as well?

Also really dig that sectional sofa in your other room.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #24
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Well first of all... nice rack!

Are the lower cabinets/shelving units on the floor also part of the Besta line from Ikea as well?

Also really dig that sectional sofa in your other room.
Yes, it's all the same line. You go in, pick the style of cabinet, then the color, then the doors (if you want doors), and then the mounting hardware. The only thing that sucks is they have one with glass doors which would have been great to display my collectibles, but for whatever reason you couldn't match the style of the other cabinets. Oh well.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #25
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Ok, it's official!

We just signed the contract with the reno company.

We meet with their designer in a couple days, and then it's just a matter of the trades showing up.

Very excited!
Old 07-31-2015, 01:17 AM   #26
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Finally.....framing is supposed to start tomorrow. Excited and nervous at the same time. This has to be done right the first time, unlike most basements, they simply can't make a mistake and then 'fix it'. Once the bottom plates go in they can't be moved.

Lately agonizing about sound proofing. I'm spending a boatload of money to have Roxul insulation put in and Quietrock drywall, putting speakers, pot lights etc. in a drop down bulkhead. That said, due to limitations of the floor, space, coupled with aesthetic wants, I can't have a double entry door, or perfectly sealed door.

I'm going with a barn door, which I know sucks for sound proofing. But it is what it is. Some might say I'm wasting money with my other efforts while having such a door, but I say it's better than not doing anything at all.

I intend on using thick glass (at least 10mm) and trying to get the door as close to the wall and floor as possible.

The other thing is the HVAC. The contractor is going on about needing an air return. But we don't have a typical situation. We have in floor (hydronic) heating in the slab. The single heat vent in the room is absolutely useless in winter. And in summer, who cares...we're in a basement so it's colder than the main floor by virtue of it's location. The furnace fan simply pushing room temp air through that vent is again going to be useless.

All the AV equipment is also in a separate room. The only thing in there is the TV itself and the pot lights which normally will be off anyway. So I don't think heat will be an issue.

We don't run the furnace fan normally anyways. It only kicks in if it hits a certain temperature (the basement and main floor are on one furnace, the second floor is on a separate furnace which has A/C). But should I have a fan hooked up to circulate the air just in that room????

Stressed.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #27
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Floor protection laid down, wall outlines marked.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 AM   #28
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Framing started....

Old 08-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #29
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Currently struggling with the style of barn door to get...

While I like the look of glass, I'm worried about how it might impact the sound. I'm not worried about it rattling as it would be 12mm (1/2") thick glass, but I know a reflective surface isn't ideal for sound.

I could do a completely solid door which is best for sound, but obviously doesn't let any light in.

Or I could do a combination wood/glass, but apparently the max thickness of glass you can get in a french door style is only 6mm.

So basically I'm looking at these 3 options - would love any advice/suggestions:

Old 08-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #30
Expert Member

Mar 2013
arizona

I say since there's 2 Windows in the room already might as well make it symmetrical with a glass door. The windows being in a first reflective spot for sound will probably have more affect on the sound then the glass door in the back.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #31
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
I say since there's 2 Windows in the room already might as well make it symmetrical with a glass door. The windows being in a first reflective spot for sound will probably have more affect on the sound then the glass door in the back.
Windows will have silhouette blinds while watching movies….but they're fairly sheer.

Problem with picking the wrong kind of door is potentially wasting several thousand dollars. Looking at how we'll use the room, if it's the wife and I, we'll probably have the door open while watching movies anyways. It's only if I'm watching something by myself while she's home that I'll have it closed.

One other possible consideration is the rears which are in the ceiling are bipoles….so the one set of drivers will be shooting right at the door.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #32
Expert Member

Mar 2013
arizona

Solid wood door will look just as good. I saw one build where they went with this approach. I'll have to dig around to find it.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #33
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Framing is done!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #34
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Wiring being done...

Old 08-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Things are coming along nicely, thanks for sharing. In regards to the door, I've been kicking your ideas around for my new theatre too, but can't get past the sound issues either. I've gone so far as to try and figure out how to treat the inside of the sliding door and still have it open smoothly, but I haven't landed on anything yet.

We have something very similar to the full glass door you've shown at my office and the thing is a beast. Original installer did a poor job installing it and we had to have new people come in a couple of years later as the door was not usable.

My one thought on the door is it keeps very little sound out/in and I would categorize it primarily as an aesthetic piece, not terribly functional. If you can find a way to make it seal all the way around maybe it will do a better job of keeping the sound out/in... but ours is pretty my useless in that regards.

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by roar; 08-22-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 AM   #36
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

I decided to go with a solid door...

My issue now is the display area. I wanted it to hold both my SACD player and Stereo amp as well as having shelves for my collectibles. I did a mock up to get a general idea.

The issue is the amp once you account for the binding connectors, power cord etc. is simply to deep to fit on what was framed for the shelf. I could extend the shelf, but then I'm losing floor space which I don't want to do.

I could just have the SACD player going back to the main amp, but I really like it when paired with the stereo amp. I could put both back in the rack, but then there's the pain in the ass factor of having to run back to the rack every time I want to change a CD - plus I would lose the ability to use my headphones if I wanted. And the rack is pretty full, not sure I'd even have enough space left.

Frustrated and need to figure this out as the contractor is itching to move on with drywalling...

Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 AM   #37
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Things are progressing...

I had them put in a 2nd vent. So there's now two on opposite sides of the central bulkhead - and I had them switch from the metal sleeves to using insulated flex ducts.

And the outer media room wall is now insulated - we're reusing the Roxul Comfortbat that's being removed from the walls - as we decided to spray foam the exterior walls which happens on Friday.

The interior media room walls will use the Roxul Safe 'n Sound.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #38
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Spray foam is done.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #39
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Roxul Safe 'n Sound used in all the interior media room cavities....

Old 09-04-2015, 01:40 AM   #40
Banned

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Drywall going up....

Most walls have regular drywall, but the inside walls, ceiling, and outside walls of the media room are using Quietrock.

Originally it was supposed to be QR 530, but instead we got QR ES dropped off. I looked up the specs and while it's not their low end product, it's not as high end as the 530 either. But after looking at the STC ratings, for how we're applying it (not doubling up), it's pretty much equivalent and a hell of a lot cheaper.

It's crazy what a difference walking into the media room is - even when it just had all the Roxul installed it was noticeable - anyone whose walked into one of the high end listening rooms at an audio store knows what I'm talking about, it's almost like a black hole of sound, dead air, etc. And trying to find a stud behind the QR by tapping on the wall is impossible.....the whole thing sounds solid.

Last edited by Pondosinatra; 09-04-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction