Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Star Trek: The Next Generation… $24.49 (1 hour left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
23 hrs ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03
5 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
12 hrs ago
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
18 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Killer Klowns From Outer Space w/ Halloween FP (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Jan 2012
Default Best way to mirror my TV in another room

All right, I have a question for all of you. If this thread isn't in the right spot, please let me knew, and I'll ask a mod To move it.

I'm already a little familiar with this situation as I do something similar with my outside setup. For that, I have an HDMI splitter/switch with a long cable that leads to an HDMI wall plate inside the house that goes to a wall plate on the wall of my porch. It works very well, and the locations of everything make it very easy to run long cables that aren't in the way.

So, this is what I now want to do. I've started to really get into cooking. To go along with that, I very often have people come over to watch shows and movies. What I would really love to do is buy a small TV that I can mount on the wall in the kitchen that would show whatever is being shown in my living room. That way, I can be cooking but not missing something that my friends are watching.

What would be the easiest way to do this? I know I'll end up having to use my splitter, but I don't see myself running wires through my living room, dining room and kitchen to do it. Would I need to use wireless HDMI? Anyone use that around here? I've heard it doesn't always do well transmitting through walls, which this would have to do. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate the help.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
OH-IO

Use an HDMI splitter over CAT5/6.

There are tons of videos on YT that explain/show how to do this.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #3

May 2009
New Zealand

Does the signal in the kitchen have to be in HD? If not, maybe you could just use a regular antenna cable and the RF out (if available) on the other television?
Old 06-10-2017, 05:31 AM   #4

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Use an HDMI splitter over CAT5/6.

There are tons of videos on YT that explain/show how to do this.
I'll look for some of those videos. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Does the signal in the kitchen have to be in HD? If not, maybe you could just use a regular antenna cable and the RF out (if available) on the other television?
I suppose not. I just figured it might be easier. I'll check that out as well.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

If you have cable or satellite, maybe your provider won't charge a monthly fee for another receiver in your kitchen.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2009
None, just a guitar pickin' drifter
Default What slim said

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
If you have cable or satellite, maybe your provider won't charge a monthly fee for another receiver in your kitchen.
Yeah, they all seem to be advertising just this idea now. I have DirecTV and there's choices/products/preferences for this kind of thing. (I'm in a tiny house where it's unneccesary.)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

If you have cable/satellite then you very likely have access to a streaming app with your package available online. Get yourself a roku streaming stick, download the streaming app for your provider, and then just run it through the internet. There will likely be a 10-15 second delay in programming, but the quality will be HD, it won't require wires, and it should prove more than suitable. I have a modest 25mbps download / 2mbps upload plan and can stream just fine.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #8

Jan 2012

I do have DirecTV and thought about adding a mini genie in the kitchen but would like to also be able to have a Blu-ray playing at the same time on both TVs. It's really convenient having that arrangement with my outside setup. It's just a little more tricky with this configuration.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:09 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I do have DirecTV and thought about adding a mini genie in the kitchen but would like to also be able to have a Blu-ray playing at the same time on both TVs. It's really convenient having that arrangement with my outside setup. It's just a little more tricky with this configuration.
I have DirecTV too, and I don't think they charge a monthly fee for an additional Genie. You can get up to 4 Genies installed per household. Syncing a blu-ray player I'm not so sure about. Do you really spend that much time in your kitchen to have a blu-ray player in it as well? A blu-ray player in a kitchen is a little bit much, especially if you have a sound system in another part of the home.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:15 AM   #10
Banned

Aug 2015
Thanos Cock

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...n-another.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00630WKGI
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #11

Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb

FYI: For all of my direcTV receivers, (not including Genies) the HDMI, Component, and Composite are all always on. So you could plug in the HDMI into one set, the Composite into another and it will exactly mirror with no delay. No need to spend extra on an HDMI switch/splitter. Just buy the correct length cables.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
FYI: For all of my direcTV receivers, (not including Genies) the HDMI, Component, and Composite are all always on. So you could plug in the HDMI into one set, the Composite into another and it will exactly mirror with no delay. No need to spend extra on an HDMI switch/splitter. Just buy the correct length cables.
You cannot connect two different video cables on the same video input, it will cause interference and blackout. You will have to use one cable or the other.

Last edited by slimdude; 06-13-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #13

Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb

A simple experiment should prove me right or wrong. I will have you know that for many years I ran one DirecTV receiver to two TV's. One via HDMI, one over a 50' long set of component cables to my bar without issue. I moved over to the Genie system so that is unnecessary now.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #14

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I have DirecTV too, and I don't think they charge a monthly fee for an additional Genie. You can get up to 4 Genies installed per household. Syncing a blu-ray player I'm not so sure about. Do you really spend that much time in your kitchen to have a blu-ray player in it as well? A blu-ray player in a kitchen is a little bit much, especially if you have a sound system in another part of the home.
I wouldn't have a Blu-ray player in the kitchen. The idea is to just get the signal to the kitchen, much like I have my outdoor setup. I don't have a Blu-ray player out there. Instead, the signal is sent there from my HDMI switch/splitter, and then I have long cables running from there. I just don't see how to run cables to the kitchen, which is why I thought wireless HDMI might be the answer.

The outside setup is very convenient because I'm able to be playing the same thing inside and out, whether it be my satellite receiver, Blu-ray player, computer, Xbox. If there are a lot of people over, people can sit either place. If you have to go inside for something, you don't miss any of the movie. That's what I want for the kitchen, the exact same signal in both rooms.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #15

Jan 2012

Thanks a bunch! Those links are very helpful.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction