Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (3 hours left)
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 06-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Power Member

Jun 2008
Default Building 4K setup from scratch, need advice

Hi everyone, longtime member but not so regular poster here. I'm thinking of completely rebuilding my setup to go 4K and need some advice.

The total budget I'm considering is about 4.500 Euro and it'll probably be a yearlong project (saving up, etc)

First of all, here's how I use my setup:
  • Watching streaming TV series during weekdays
  • Daily gaming on PS4
  • Watching Blu-ray movies on weekends and days off. I have a mixed region collection

OK, so I need a system that covers movies/BD/gaming equally. 3D is nice but not a must. A good balance between movie visuals and game visuals is my main concern, same with the audio. With that being said, here's my current setup:
  • Panasonic 55" 1080p 3D capable LCD
  • Panasonic 3D capable BD player (region free)
  • Onkyo 5.1 receiver with HDMI 1.0 pass-through
  • 5 Bowers & Wilkins speakers setup in decent to good 5.1 position
  • Playstation 4

Here's the setup I am considering:
  • Sony XE930 65" LCD 4K UHD with HDR10
  • Sony HT-ST5000 7.1 Dolby Atmos Sound Bar
  • 4K region free BD player, still undecided???
  • Playstation 4 Pro
  • HDMI 2.x cables

So a couple of questions remain:
  • Is a soundbar just as good or even better than a speaker setup? The maximum number of speakers I can set up in the house are 5, so 5.1 surround is the best I can do, but would a 7.1 sound bar be better?
  • What about my choice of TV. Are there better options for a movie/game fan in the same price category? This Sony LED seems to strike the right balance between movies and gaming and I've heard good things about the X1 processor.
  • Which BD player would you recommend?
  • Are there any other aspects I need to think about to make my setup as future proof as possible?

I know it's a lot but it'll be a substantial project for me and I need all the help I can get Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Old 06-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

Jul 2010

For BD players not having Dolby Vision will be a big factor and I would go for an LG Oled from 2017 (E7 or C7) with the new hdr game mode update they are the best.

Last edited by classicfilmcollector; 06-14-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
pip440 (06-17-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

I'm not sure why you're considering going from a discrete 5.1 setup to a soundbar? Especially if you're able to accommodate the speakers in the proper locations, a soundbar would be a pretty big step backwards.

Keep your separates. Purchase a dual-HDMI output UHD player so you can still take advantage of 4K/HDR and use a lower cost receiver, and use the money saved towards better speakers or subwoofer.
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (06-14-2017), solarrdadd (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

+1 on keeping your speakers... I'd add up-firing Atmos speakers to sit on top of your front speakers to get your height channels.

As I understand it, UHD Blu Rays are region free so keep your existing region free blu ray player for your region free needs and add a 4K player. In my mind the XBox One S is the best "value" on that front at the moment but depending on when you buy things that may change. If I had to pick another player without concern for price I'd probably look long and hard at the Oppo UDP-203.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Power Member

Jun 2008

Thanks for the feedback so far. Will definitely have a look at LG's offering for 2017.

As for the sound bar, I also always thought that separates were better than a soundbar but some people over at AVS seem to think the newest Sony 7.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar sounds better than a 5.1 separate setup. I'm really puzzled about this as all I can go on is feedback on the internet, I can don't have any store or place I can sample and judge for myself.

However, would it be possible to keep my 5.1 setup and change the speakers to upfiring atmos ones? Would that be a noticeable improvement.

Also, I have to add my set up is not perfect, the back speakers are not ideally positioned, more on backsides that directly behind the sofa due to spacial issues.

So, separates but change to Atmos ones + Atmos able receiver?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo28 View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. Will definitely have a look at LG's offering for 2017.

As for the sound bar, I also always thought that separates were better than a soundbar but some people over at AVS seem to think the newest Sony 7.1 Dolby Atmos soundbar sounds better than a 5.1 separate setup. I'm really puzzled about this as all I can go on is feedback on the internet, I can don't have any store or place I can sample and judge for myself.

However, would it be possible to keep my 5.1 setup and change the speakers to upfiring atmos ones? Would that be a noticeable improvement.

Also, I have to add my set up is not perfect, the back speakers are not ideally positioned, more on backsides that directly behind the sofa due to spacial issues.

So, separates but change to Atmos ones + Atmos able receiver?
if you can find a place that is going to demo that sony soundbar for you with the ability of you to bring your own materials (movies with ATMOS) you can judge for your self.

also, with that soundbar, I didn't see you mention DTS:X, is that codec supported? despite what people want to say about it, there are movies mixed in DTS:X and not ATMOS and you might want to take advantage of that but can't if this soundbar doesn't support it.

in todays world, I would not buy a device that only supports one of the codecs. don't buy a receiver that doesn't support both ATMOS & DTS:X and I'd verify that the soundbar does both as well. that's just my personal view. many will tell you ATMOS is enough. I've got plenty of great sounding movies with DTS:X soundtracks.

best of luck, keep us posted whatever you do.
Thanks given by:
roar (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

I agree with solarrdad and it has nothing to do with the fact that our gear is so closely aligned

You want both Atmos and DTS:X and in a perfect world Auro-3D too... the Marantz I bought was a step below the top of the line so I can't upgrade mine to do Auro-3D but to date there hasn't been too many titles so I don't feel like I'm missing out. Atmos and DTS:X are a must though.

I'm not sure which model B&W's you have but assuming they have a flat top that is big enough to hold them you could add up-firing speakers like these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Pioneer-SP-T22...dp/B0148NPHO8/

or

https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-RP140S...atmos+speakers
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
Power Member

Jun 2008

Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, the Soundbar from Sony doesn't support DTS:X on release but has been added in the meantime with a firmware upgrade.

But with all the feedback I heard so far, I'm inclined to rather go with a new receiver + upward firing addon speakers. That will add so dimensionality in the height while keeping my real 5.1 setup.

Any other suggestions regarding the TV? 65" UHD 4K with good HDR for both gaming and movies. I've stuck with Panasonic my whole life but might switch to a different brand. Wife isn't inclined to go with Korean brands but I wouldn't mind. I heard the best currently are Sony/LG/Samsung but for a 2.500 Euro price tag, no idea which is best.

Wow, looking at a big investment here: receiver, TV, PS4Pro and BD player
Old 06-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo28 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! Yes, the Soundbar from Sony doesn't support DTS:X on release but has been added in the meantime with a firmware upgrade.

But with all the feedback I heard so far, I'm inclined to rather go with a new receiver + upward firing addon speakers. That will add so dimensionality in the height while keeping my real 5.1 setup.

Any other suggestions regarding the TV? 65" UHD 4K with good HDR for both gaming and movies. I've stuck with Panasonic my whole life but might switch to a different brand. Wife isn't inclined to go with Korean brands but I wouldn't mind. I heard the best currently are Sony/LG/Samsung but for a 2.500 Euro price tag, no idea which is best.

Wow, looking at a big investment here: receiver, TV, PS4Pro and BD player
I just splashed out $3K (CDN) to get Atmos alone. Added the new(ish) Marantz SR6011, 4 in-ceiling paradigm speakers and 2 in-wall paradigm speakers. This is not a cheap hobby Sorry, no advice on the TV, I run a front projection setup and I'm still a couple of years out from a 4K picture upgrade.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
I just splashed out $3K (CDN) to get Atmos alone. Added the new(ish) Marantz SR6011, 4 in-ceiling paradigm speakers and 2 in-wall paradigm speakers. This is not a cheap hobby Sorry, no advice on the TV, I run a front projection setup and I'm still a couple of years out from a 4K picture upgrade.
agreed, I also think in some instances, one has to think where there priorities are especially when funds are limited. for example, I am an audio guy for movies, so, my priorities were to audio. I got the 7.1.4 setup, and also have a UHD player so I can get any disc with ATMOS/DTS:X be it HD or UHD, but, still have a 1080p tv.

for me audio was more important so I can save slowly for an upgrade to 4K/HDR since I intend to keep my current old tv (beautiful picture by the way ) until it finally dies. so, that's something to consider for folks on a budget.

it's a cat and there's plenty of ways to skin it!
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
agreed, I also think in some instances, one has to think where there priorities are especially when funds are limited. for example, I am an audio guy for movies, so, my priorities were to audio. I got the 7.1.4 setup, and also have a UHD player so I can get any disc with ATMOS/DTS:X be it HD or UHD, but, still have a 1080p tv.

for me audio was more important so I can save slowly for an upgrade to 4K/HDR since I intend to keep my current old tv (beautiful picture by the way ) until it finally dies. so, that's something to consider for folks on a budget.

it's a cat and there's plenty of ways to skin it!
Very well said SD. I'm going to have to upgrade my audio gear to be able to enjoy the ATMOS/DTS-X set up, which will not be cheap. My priorities is in the audio field first, and the 4K HDTV/Monitor will be the last purchase. I'm looking at going the pre-pro route (Marantz 8802 maybe) with a decent size external amp for the main speaker's, and of course another amp for the height speaker's. It's going to be a slow process for me, but my gear is outdated and does need to be replaced. My friend recently changed over to full 4K UHD, and ATMOS/DTS-X audio, and after hearing his set up, my priorities have changed in a big way

Last edited by Dwayne; 06-17-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction