Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K … $24.99 (92% claimed)
Prime: Rick and Morty: Season 2 $12.19 (2 hours left)
Prime: First Man $9.99 (7 hours left)
Prime: Outlander: Season Three $23.99 (48 mins left)
Prime: The Girl in the Spider's Web $12.43 (10% claimed)
Prime: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: … ()
Prime: Hunter Hunter: Volume 5 ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
14 hrs ago
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$9.96
14 hrs ago
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
The Amazing Spider-Man Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 hr ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Dark Side of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
No one suggested that there was a problem with the original power cords. However, with the proper gear, different power cords can actually have an affect on the overall sound of a system. This in part will have to do with the materials, connectors, copper versus silver, gauge, shielding, general design, etc.

Rich
I was attempting to politely call "bs" on the idea that you could hear a difference by making your own power cord. As someone who has spent years designing isolated ground systems for industrial computer equipment, I stand firmly by my opinion.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Jim,

Another thing you could do is to check the Auctions over at Audiogon. There are a lot of manufacturers (some individuals) that auction off their power cords, and other wiring. Many of the auctions are listed under the $1 No Reserve auction listings. I can not comment about their return policy, but this could be an inexpensive option.

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html

You would just have to become a member of Audiogon to bid, but it is a free membership.

Rich
Rich

Thanks

I'll take a look
Old 12-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Raider View Post
I was attempting to politely call "bs" on the idea that you could hear a difference by making your own power cord. As someone who has spent years designing isolated ground systems for industrial computer equipment, I stand firmly by my opinion.
According to your way of thinking then, everyone in the high end part of the audio market then is not hearing any difference and is just wasting money. Have you personally ever listened to the sound with higher end equipment using different power cords to confirm that there is no difference? I have.

Rich

Last edited by naturephoto1; 12-24-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #24
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Dark Side of the Moon

Quote:
According to your way of thinking then, everyone in the high end part of the audio market then is not hearing any difference and is just wasting money. Have you personally ever listened to the sound with higher end equipment to using different power cords to confirm that there is no difference? I have.

Rich
This whole thread makes me smile.

The equipment in 99% of consumer HT systems will have no additional benefit from building diy power cords. If you were running a radio station out of your basement I'd have a different set of ideas.

This line of thinking has made Monster Cables a fortune.

My humble (but qualified) opinion. People tend to hear what they want to hear. Whatever cranks your tractor. Carry on.

Last edited by Blu-Raider; 12-24-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
Power Member

Jan 2008

I know in my case I'm in need of a longer heavier gauge power cable for my sub. It is currently not long enough and is not plugged into my power center. I need a overall cable with better shielding and design.

The cost, yes I know it could be done for cheaper but it's not my style. I think I'm doing fairly well when it comes to prices. Everyone is free to do as they wish and this is mine. Some may say it's jewelry for their gear but that is not always the case. Besides everything in the world has an inflated price.

Cable/wire is always of various grades and just look at what power companies are doing to electrical lines. They are switching from a solid core copper cable to a copper coated one. All of this is do to theft but it will effect the transmission. Better quality wire will allow better transmission.

It's all part of the hobby for some and I would rather have better cables on my gear than not. Better shielding, heavier gauge, cable design, better connections......... that's for me.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #26
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Dark Side of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
I know in my case I'm in need of a longer heavier gauge power cable for my sub. It is currently not long enough and is not plugged into my power center. I need a overall cable with better shielding and design.
With long runs the gauge of the wire becomes a factor. Copper is an imperfect conductor and voltage drop is an issue. Also the tendency to pick up a "hum" is much greater with poor shielding.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #27
Power Member

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

Quote:
Okay -- I'm a degreed electrical engineer with 27 years of power and grounding experience. (PE in several states) If that lends any creedence to my opinion, so be it.

Improper grounding or poor shielding in a power cord can lead to the dreaded "hum" in any audio component. A lot of high-end equipment has a separate grounding post to eliminate this possibility. Long runs of cable may require shielded cable to prevent picking up noise. Usually with proper grounding in a power cable, this isn't an issue.

In other words -- in my opinion the cables supplied with your audio equipment are perfectly fine. If you hear a "hum", your system is incorrectly grounded.
Not a "PE" but I agree for sure... and what about the weakest link...are you going to build a new cable all the way back to your power box... and then back to the Hi Voltage transformer... and then all the way back to the sub station.... and then.......
Old 12-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:

The equipment in 99% of consumer HT systems will have no additional benefit from building diy power cords. If you were running a radio station out of your basement I'd have a different set of ideas.

My humble (but qualified) opinion. People tend to hear what they want to hear. Whatever cranks your tractor. Carry on.
So, then your answer to my question is that you have not listened to make a comparison. But, you are correct because you are a PE with 27 years experience.

My dad was a PE with over 60 years of experience. He passed away in April, and he never listened either. But, he was also trained as a scientist; he had an MS in Chemistry and an a MS in Chemical Engineering, from Columbia University, and training in Electrical Engineering (as I recall US Navy and Texas A & M) and Metalurgy at Columbia. He was of the opinion that yes wiring, being power cords, ICs etc. could conceivably have an affect on sound.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #29
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

Quote:

I have to agree with this. It's like buying a Hyundai and then slapping a Mercedes name badge on it and then tell everyone it "handles" better. Doesn't make sense.

Can anyone honestly show me some statistics for CONSUMER HT systems that have NOTICEABLY improved sound quality with a $350 dollar power cable? Were talking ANYONE can hear the difference. Not just 1 or 2 people. Anyone.

Until then - I call shenanigans!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #30
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
With long runs the gauge of the wire becomes a factor. Copper is an imperfect conductor and voltage drop is an issue. Also the tendency to pick up a "hum" is much greater with poor shielding.
Agreed,

I am an extremely sceptical person on just about everything. As many have said before "we all have our definition of diminishing returns". Can a $2000 cable make a difference ??? I wouldn't know, I've never had the pleasure of trying one out. Can power cables sound different ??? Again, I don't know yet.

What I do know is I want the better quality cables in my system and at a price point I see fit. Always look for deals and common sense will prevail.

I do have some sensitive equipment and I would like to replace the stock ones. As long as the quality of the copper is great and the overall cable and connectors are of good quality, it's fine for me. Good cables don't have to cost a fortune. It depends on who assembles them. There are only so many sources of bulk wire in the world anyways and it comes down to "who puts them together and puts the price tag on it".

If I do have a Christmas wish, let it be that the people of Blu-ray.com discuss and debate all manor of things within reason and politeness. People do own and use the "taboo" products such as Monster, Toshiba, Bose, & high end tweaks. Can people do better price wise when it comes to Bose & Monster ??? Most certainly. Like a good friend of mine has said before, " It's not my job and who am I to tell them they're wrong". Let us all enjoy what we have as there are people with even less. let us be happy even for a day !!!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Wow, lighten up people! It's the holidays!

Just to remember, the main reasons why I decided to do my own powercords:

- Main goal was to shorten my current cords (mostly for aesthetics reasons);
- Because I like doing this kind of projects!

I surely didn't want to start a debate over this (I'm sure there are numerous threads on this subject in diverse forums)...

If I see improvements, well it will be the icing on the cake! I don't think however that I will perform A/B testing to determine the difference between the OEM cable and the new one...

And for future references, I have no hums in my system

Last edited by Johk; 12-24-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
I have to agree with this. It's like buying a Hyundai and then slapping a Mercedes name badge on it and then tell everyone it "handles" better. Doesn't make sense.

Can anyone honestly show me some statistics for CONSUMER HT systems that have NOTICEABLY improved sound quality with a $350 dollar power cable? Were talking ANYONE can hear the difference. Not just 1 or 2 people. Anyone.

Until then - I call shenanigans!
Poor analogy.

Rich
Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #33
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearyt View Post
Not a "PE" but I agree for sure... and what about the weakest link...are you going to build a new cable all the way back to your power box... and then back to the Hi Voltage transformer... and then all the way back to the sub station.... and then.......

It's funny you mention this as there are people where in the name of "love for audio" who do in fact generate their own power for their gear.

Guys let us not ruin the OP's thread it is of value for various reasons which he stated. I do firmly believe not all cables are created equal and use common sense. If you own a $500 receiver and you use a $350 Audioquest cable like the one I'm getting then yes you are wasting $$$. If your gear is drawing a lot of current then yes beef up your AC cables.

Gotta go, the holiday events are about to begin.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #34
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Dark Side of the Moon

Okay, naturephoto1, I'll take one last kick at the can. I do this stuff for a living. I simply listed my credentials to add a little professionalism to my opinion. Perhaps gearyt put a more succinct twist on the issue.

Your home theatre power system consists of 2/C No.12AWG w/gnd non-shielded romex (usually type NM) fed from a 20A in a residential grade panelboard. The grounding system consists of a 10' copper rod driven into the ground at your incoming meter. THAT is the capacity of your system. (99% of home systems depending on local building codes)

If you want to make your own power cables for aesthetic reasons, knock youself out. If you're trying to convince some poor schmuck that his Blu-ray player connected to a HTIB will look and sound better with different power cables, you're dead wrong. To assert there is "burn-in time" associated with a power cable is downright comical.

From here, I'll let it go.

Last edited by Blu-Raider; 12-24-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote "Your home theatre power system consists of 2/C No.12AWG w/gnd non-shielded romex (usually type NM) fed from a 20A in a residential grade panelboard. The grounding system consists of a 10' copper rod driven into the ground at your incoming meter. THAT is the capacity of your system. (99% of home systems depending on local building codes)"

I pulled a permit when I built my HT and had inspections twice to ensure I conformed to "code". The wiring was pretty much exactly what's mentioned there.

Since I know what type of wiring runs over to my gear.... I know that making a thick cable to run from the outlet to my gear and then proceeding to "burn it in" would just be something to do in hopes of placebo effect.

Still.... I enjoy the placebo effect when I can get it. If I made those cables and burned them in and they made me think my system sounded/looked better then I think that would be worthwhile.

-Brian

p.s. Nothing wrong with homemade custom HT gear... the cables look great and I'm sure they do work well too.

Last edited by bhampton; 12-24-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #36
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Dark Side of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Still.... I enjoy the placebo effect when I can get it.

-Brian
Sometimes placebos are better than the actual drugs.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #37
Power Member

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
.Since I know what type of wiring runs over to my gear.... I know that making a thick cable to run from the outlet to my gear and then proceeding to "burn it in" would just be something to do in hopes of placebo effect.

Still.... I enjoy the placebo effect when I can get it.

-Brian
sugar pills are nice ...
Old 12-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Quote "Still.... I enjoy the placebo effect when I can get it."

To explain fully... sometimes I change this or that to the HT and for a day or two... it looks or sounds "better." It's likely placebo effect sometimes but ... I go ahead and enjoy it anyway.... that's what the HT is there for (to be enjoyed.)
Old 12-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Placebo or not, I like the idea of having custom length cords instead of the tangled up rats nest I have now. I don't even like bundled and ty-wrapped cords, this is definitely better. Also something to keep in mind. That contractor that made those factory cords, won a minimum bid contract to supply them.

Last edited by Rob71; 12-25-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #40
Power Member

Jan 2008

While we are on the subject.

I just wanted to add......... If you do buy used or even new high end cables from sellers make sure you are in fact buying the real deal !!! Just like many other expensive products there are "knock off's". So do make sure that "really great deal" is truly authentic. It sucks that this does happen but it is a reality. People are greedy !!!

I have been lucky and there is ways to ensure what you are buying is authentic. Check with manufacturers to compare the product in question. Often times manufacturers put on display and warn people of fakes. There are things to look for on the product in question. Of course it's not limited to cables.

Hope this of help !!!

Last edited by mdabb; 12-26-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction