Best PC Game Deals


Best PC Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Battlefield Hardline (PC)
$10.11
1 day ago
Dishonored (PC)
$26.38
 
Prey 2 (PC)
$21.13
 
Civilization VI (PC)
$17.39
 
Fallout 76 (PC)
$59.99
1 day ago
The Incredible Hulk (PC)
$29.95
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
tcripe tcripe is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tcripe's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Seattle
Default New NVIDIA RTX 3000 series GPUs announced

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...raphics-cards/
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (09-04-2020), SlaughterX (09-03-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 03:53 AM   #2
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

Since I'm running a zotak 2080. Can I run the 3080?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
tcripe tcripe is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tcripe's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Seattle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Since I'm running a zotak 2080. Can I run the 3080?
Depends on the wattage for your power supply you currently have.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
Grim Reaper Grim Reaper is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Jun 2006
Let Me In!
393
1838
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcripe View Post
Depends on the wattage for your power supply you currently have.
The 2080 I have uses an 8+6 pin.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
teddyballgame teddyballgame is offline
Active Member
 
teddyballgame's Avatar
 
Sep 2019
Columbus Ohio
Default

Damn that's a bit rough for owners of Turing cards. I really want to get a 3000 series for the HDMI 2.1
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
SlaughterX SlaughterX is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
SlaughterX's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Thornton, CO
24
120
926
6
1
Default

In for a 3070!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
RalphoR RalphoR is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
12
Default

I'm running an older 1080 card. Might look into this (3080). I wonder if it will sell out on release day? Not sure how much demand there is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:08 AM   #8
SlaughterX SlaughterX is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
SlaughterX's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Thornton, CO
24
120
926
6
1
Default

I'm 100% sure they will sell out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:40 AM   #9
DetroitSportsFan DetroitSportsFan is offline
Hot Deals Moderator
 
DetroitSportsFan's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Michigan
120
1656
78
Default

Iím torn between the 3080 and 3090. If the 3080 had more VRAM, my choice would be much easier.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
evoll evoll is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
evoll's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
594
3107
22
18
108
Default

I am using a 2070 super but will be upgrading to the 3090 to help with 4k gaming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:16 PM   #11
RalphoR RalphoR is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Iím torn between the 3080 and 3090. If the 3080 had more VRAM, my choice would be much easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
I am using a 2070 super but will be upgrading to the 3090 to help with 4k gaming.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 3090 geared more towards 8k gaming? I'm thinking it's super overkill for pretty much everyone who isn't into 8k gaming. Maybe even the 3080 is overkill for most. That 3070 is looking better and better all the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #12
tcripe tcripe is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
tcripe's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Seattle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
I am using a 2070 super but will be upgrading to the 3090 to help with 4k gaming.
You only need a 3080 for 4k gaming at high frames. As seen in video below.

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
evoll (09-05-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #13
i007spectre i007spectre is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
i007spectre's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Missouri
20
47
444
1
Default

See no reason why those who aren't worried about having way over 4K60 need anything but the 3070. I guess just to be a little more future proof.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
DetroitSportsFan DetroitSportsFan is offline
Hot Deals Moderator
 
DetroitSportsFan's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Michigan
120
1656
78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 3090 geared more towards 8k gaming? I'm thinking it's super overkill for pretty much everyone who isn't into 8k gaming.
Iím writing off the ď8K60Ē claims as marketing for the most part. Sure, select games will do it, but for modern AAA games? No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
See no reason why those who aren't worried about having way over 4K60 need anything but the 3070. I guess just to be a little more future proof.
The 3070 is touted as about equal to a 2080ti (which has more VRAM) and that struggles to get 60 FPS on many games at 4K high settings.

Depending on the games youíre looking to play, IMO the 3070 is for 1440p.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RalphoR (09-07-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #15
SlaughterX SlaughterX is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
SlaughterX's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Thornton, CO
24
120
926
6
1
Default

You guys act like future games won't be more graphic extensive even at lower resolutions... it's called "future proofing", even though I know that statement is kind of an oxy-moron when it comes to technology like this.

I'm not really trying to spent that much on a GPU, but if I were to wait and get a good deal on a prebuilt system with a better card then that would be the move.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
evoll (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 09:09 PM   #16
evoll evoll is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
evoll's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
594
3107
22
18
108
Default

That's why i am looking into the 3090 to future proof with new games but may end up with the 3080. I had two titan x a few years ago but like everything they got old when new games came out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #17
RalphoR RalphoR is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
You guys act like future games won't be more graphic extensive even at lower resolutions... it's called "future proofing", even though I know that statement is kind of an oxy-moron when it comes to technology like this.

I'm not really trying to spent that much on a GPU, but if I were to wait and get a good deal on a prebuilt system with a better card then that would be the move.
Future proofing is definitely a good idea if you're going to keep that card several years. I have an old 970 card in a home theater pc setup (1080 gaming) and that sucker still runs about 80% of my newer games reasonably well. If I go the 3080 over the 3070 it will be to keep it at least 3 years vs 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
That's why i am looking into the 3090 to future proof with new games but may end up with the 3080. I had two titan x a few years ago but like everything they got old when new games came out.
SLI Titans can't run newer games well? Are you talking just about ray tracing specifically?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:39 AM   #18
Bishop_99 Bishop_99 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bishop_99's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl
71
409
28
2
6
Default

I have been using the GTX 980 ti for 5 years, pricing and specs on the 3000 series seem impressive all around. The RTX 3080 is the right card to upgrade to and get years of use out of it.

I didn't expect this level of performance and at that pricing from Nvidia after the 2000 series.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
SlaughterX (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 04:05 AM   #19
SlaughterX SlaughterX is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
SlaughterX's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Thornton, CO
24
120
926
6
1
Default

I'm also still rocking a 980 ti and it has served me well, still can run Doom Eternal in 4k at a playable frame rate... but I'm ready to retire it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Bishop_99 (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #20
Bishop_99 Bishop_99 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bishop_99's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Hialeah, Fl
71
409
28
2
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX View Post
I'm also still rocking a 980 ti and it has served me well, still can run Doom Eternal in 4k at a playable frame rate... but I'm ready to retire it.
I agree, it still performs really well. After so many years with it, I really got my money's worth out of this great card, it has held up really well.

Now I am eager to play games with Ray Tracing and DLSS, some features that feel that are mature enough to jump into the 30XX series.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22 AM.