Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.71

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 07-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #1

Nov 2011
Default Question about 3D BD Players and Framerate

Hey guys,

So now that I got my first 3D TV, I've started trying to watch the 3D Blu-rays I've owned for a while in preparation.

I've tried both the Xbox One's BD player and a Sony standalone player I just bought. Both of them have the option to enable or disable 24fps playback - and I've noticed that if I have that ON, the movies look a lot more jerky. I know 24fps playback is technically better, but my eyes just don't like it. I'm used to the 60fps upscaling that it normally does.

But on both players, that setting only seems to apply to 2D. When I insert a 3D Blu-ray, my TV shows it as 1920x1080 24p. Is this intentional? I was noticing some weird artifacts with subtitles and was thinking it was due to the framerate, but now I'm not sure.

I'll explain what I mean about the subtitles in another thread, but for now I'm just wondering about the framerate. Do 3D BDs only play at 24fps or can they be forced to 60?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011

The current 3D blu-ray specs only support 24fps. if you're used to the buttery-smooth 60fps of gaming or video-shot content then it definitely takes some getting used to, but remember that 24fps is how these films were shot and the framerate motion you're seeing is how it's meant to look. 24fps does have a distinct "stutter" to it - it's how 24fps film looks, even in the theatre.

I'm not sure about the artifacts around the subtitles. The only thing I can guess at is, do you have any motion smoothing options enabled on your tv? Many sets have motion smoothing which smooths out the motion of 24fps films to look like 60fps, but that can cause artifacting, especially in fast scenes or sometimes around certain text. I've noticed that happen on my set, but I tend to leave that option off anyways.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2009

You CAN do 30 FPS in 3D, but only in 720p.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:22 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
Hey guys,

So now that I got my first 3D TV, I've started trying to watch the 3D Blu-rays I've owned for a while in preparation.

I've tried both the Xbox One's BD player and a Sony standalone player I just bought. Both of them have the option to enable or disable 24fps playback - and I've noticed that if I have that ON, the movies look a lot more jerky. I know 24fps playback is technically better, but my eyes just don't like it. I'm used to the 60fps upscaling that it normally does.

But on both players, that setting only seems to apply to 2D. When I insert a 3D Blu-ray, my TV shows it as 1920x1080 24p. Is this intentional? I was noticing some weird artifacts with subtitles and was thinking it was due to the framerate, but now I'm not sure.

I'll explain what I mean about the subtitles in another thread, but for now I'm just wondering about the framerate. Do 3D BDs only play at 24fps or can they be forced to 60?

Thanks
You seem to be mistaken what the xbox one does. What it will do if you don't have the enable 24hz on, is do the 3:2 pulldown required for 60hz displays itself. If your tv is 60 hz even with that on, it will still then do that pulldown. Maybe one can do it better then the other. But a pulldown will still be required if your display can't display a multiple of 24hz as a refresh rate.

If you are getting artifacts that is being caused by something other then the correct frame rate being show back to you. There is no way to make a blu-ray run at 60 that is at 24, all you can do is force which one (the player or tv) applies the pull down.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
Banned

Mar 2010

It'll be the 'motion' settings on your tv that is causing the juddering. Most new tv's are sold with the setting automatically set to on so you'll need to turn it off to get rid of it.

My projector does it as well and it's highly annoying.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players