Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rubber (Blu-ray)
$6.99
17 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
7 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
2 hrs ago
High School of the Dead: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$38.99
4 hrs ago
Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota
Default The Zorbonaut Thread

This may not be a real active part of the forum but the idea sounds like fun so I'll give it a try.

I originally joined this site in late 2014 after another unnamed dvd/movie forum started to slow down. I had been a semi-active poster on that site since 2000 and I still post there occasionally as I run two fantasy football leagues at the site. I now spend the majority of my film discussion time here at Blu-Ray.com. I had to switch my user name from "amplified" to something else since "amplified" was taken here at Blu-Ray.com so Zorbonaut it was. I use "Zorbonaut" for other things ever since my crazy adventures in New Zealand in 2008 where Zorbing was one of the many activities we did over a month period of time.

A little about myself:

I currently live in the Twin Cities in the great white north of Minnesota. I was born and raised in San Diego but quite honestly, I don't miss much about California other than the beaches and the Mexican Food.

I'm married with 4 kids and 1 grandchild and have been a cinephile since as long as I can remember. I come from the generation that grew up with no movies in the home until we got our first VHS player in the mid 80's and I was 10 or so. I am passionate about film and it is also the way I express myself creatively. I have been making short films for friends and family for years but it is unfortunately not my career (yet). I work in the financial services industry but a few years back I decided to go back to school for Computer Engineering. Just in the last few months have been debating whether or not to follow my passions and change my degree to focus to filmmaking. My wife has family in the film business that works as an Art director and has worked on some pretty big blockbusters like the MI series, Braveheart, and Saving Private Ryan. He would be willing to help get my foot in the door but I would need construction experience being that he is in art/production design. So for now, I'm left to forgo my passion for filmmaking and just pay the bills.

In the early 2000's I filmed events (Weddings, Baptisms, etc) on the side using my Sony DCR-VX2100. It was a big purchase for me at the time and the same camera the film Open Water was filmed on I believe. I sold that camera about 5 years ago and have yet to replace it but within the last few years, I made a commitment to start uploading more regularly to my YouTube channel. I was inspired by my favorite YouTuber/Filmmaker (Casey Neistat) to post videos more regularly. Since I have very little equipment left I have only used my iPhone 6 plus and a gopro to film short videos. Feel free to check my channel out (I only have 9 subs)- I think you'll find it if you search for subscriber "avidsd". I'm the first channel you will find with my full first and last name (I'm wearing blue jacket). I'm also on twitter as zorbonaut which has links to my youtube channel I believe.

In terms of film, I enjoy all genres but I would put horror and action at the bottom of my list. I'm more of a thriller, drama, foreign fan myself. My favorite current director is David Fincher with Nolan coming in second. My favorite Writer/Director would definitely be P.T. Anderson and the Coen Bros.

Here is a list of some of my favorite films over the last 50 years or so.

[Show spoiler]
  • Amelie
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Groundhog Day
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • Inception
  • Magnolia
  • The Game
  • Se7en
  • Memento
  • American Beauty
  • Sicario
  • Whiplash
  • Gone Girl
  • Like Crazy
  • Under the Skin
  • Vegas Vacation
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • Life as a House
  • One Hour Photo
  • The Visitor
  • The Vanishing
  • Cast Away
  • Illusion
  • The Hurricane
  • Life is Beautiful
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Big Lebowski
  • The Spanish Prisoner
  • The Shining
  • Pulp Fiction

I don't post a ton (about 10 posts a week) but I update my film rankings in the various threads often. I've slowly been pairing down my DVD/Blu-Ray collection from it's high point of over 2000 in the early 2000's to probably under 500 combined as of today.

That's me in a nutshell- I have really grown to love this community of movie lovers (good and bad). I would love to hear from any of you who check this thread out.

Last edited by zorbonaut; 12-23-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbonaut View Post
This may not be a real active part of the forum but the idea sounds like fun so I'll give it a try.

I originally joined this site in late 2014 after another unnamed dvd/movie forum started to slow down. I had been a semi-active poster on that site since 2000 and I still post there occasionally as I run two fantasy football leagues at the site. I now spend the majority of my film discussion time here at Blu-Ray.com. I had to switch my user name from "amplified" to something else since "amplified" was taken here at Blu-Ray.com so Zorbonaut it was. I use "Zorbonaut" for other things ever since my crazy adventures in New Zealand in 2008 where Zorbing was one of the many activities we did over a month period of time.

A little about myself:

I currently live in the Twin Cities in the great white north of Minnesota. I was born and raised in San Diego but quite honestly, I don't miss much about California other than the beaches and the Mexican Food.

I'm married with 4 kids and 1 grandchild and have been a cinephile since as long as I can remember. I come from the generation that grew up with no movies in the home until we got our first VHS player in the mid 80's and I was 10 or so. I am passionate about film and it is also the way I express myself creatively. I have been making short films for friends and family for years but it is unfortunately not my career (yet). I work in the financial services industry but a few years back I decided to go back to school for Computer Engineering. Just in the last few months have been debating whether or not to follow my passions and change my degree to focus to filmmaking. My wife has family in the film business that works as an Art director and has worked on some pretty big blockbusters like the MI series, Braveheart, and Saving Private Ryan. He would be willing to help get my foot in the door but I would need construction experience being that he is in art/production design. So for now, I'm left to forgo my passion for filmmaking and just pay the bills.

In the early 2000's I filmed events (Weddings, Baptisms, etc) on the side using my Sony DCR-VX2100. It was a big purchase for me at the time and the same camera the film Open Water was filmed on I believe. I sold that camera about 5 years ago and have yet to replace it but within the last few years, I made a commitment to start uploading more regularly to my YouTube channel. I was inspired by my favorite YouTuber/Filmmaker (Casey Neistat) to post videos more regularly. Since I have very little equipment left I have only used my iPhone 6 plus and a gopro to film short videos. Feel free to check my channel out (I only have 9 subs)- I think you'll find it if you search for subscriber "avidsd". I'm the first channel you will find with my full first and last name (I'm wearing blue jacket). I'm also on twitter as zorbonaut which has links to my youtube channel I believe.

In terms of film, I enjoy all genres but I would put horror and action at the bottom of my list. I'm more of a thriller, drama, foreign fan myself. My favorite current director is David Fincher with Nolan coming in second. My favorite Writer/Director would definitely be P.T. Anderson and the Coen Bros.

Here is a list of some of my favorite films over the last 50 years or so.

[Show spoiler]
  • Amelie
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Groundhog Day
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • Inception
  • Magnolia
  • The Game
  • Se7en
  • Memento
  • American Beauty
  • Sicario
  • Whiplash
  • Gone Girl
  • Like Crazy
  • Under the Skin
  • Vegas Vacation
  • It's a Wonderful Life
  • Life as a House
  • One Hour Photo
  • The Visitor
  • The Vanishing
  • Cast Away
  • Illusion
  • The Hurricane
  • Life is Beautiful
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Big Lebowski
  • The Spanish Prisoner
  • The Shining
  • Pulp Fiction

I don't post a ton (about 10 posts a week) but I update my film rankings in the various threads often. I've slowly been pairing down my DVD/Blu-Ray collection from it's high point of over 2000 in the early 2000's to probably under 500 combined as of today. I have yet to add them all to my profile here but I'm working on it.

That's me in a nutshell- I have really grown to love this community of movie lovers (good and bad). I would love to hear from any of you who check this thread out.
Hello, welcome to this section of the forum. Just a word of advice (well, my opinion anyway) these threads don't thrive because people don't bother posting in other threads asking anyone else questions. So we are left with cliques.

I loved Under the Skin by the way. Pretty unique stuff.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Hello, welcome to this section of the forum. Just a word of advice (well, my opinion anyway) these threads don't thrive because people don't bother posting in other threads asking anyone else questions. So we are left with cliques.

I loved Under the Skin by the way. Pretty unique stuff.
I kinda assumed that by looking over the other threads but I decided to post anyway. Even if no one posts, seems like a good way to get to know each other outside of the normal threads.

Under the Skin was one of my favorites last year no doubt. Also one of the best trailers for a film I've even seen.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I kinda assumed that by looking over the other threads but I decided to post anyway. Even if no one posts, seems like a good way to get to know each other outside of the normal threads.

Under the Skin was one of my favorites last year no doubt. Also one of the best trailers for a film I've even seen.
Well, feel free to ask me stuff as well.

Yes, last year was a good year for film.

I am quite into 3D at the moment. Are you?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

Not as of yet. My challenge with 3D, at least in the theater, is the darker image that appears on screen. A buddy of mine got a 3D tv last year and I've watched sporting events on his 3D but I can't see myself investing my money as of yet. I'm still hesitant about 4k even though the displays in store look amazing.

At this point I'm pretty happy with my Blu-Ray/Streaming set-up.

What about 3D has you hooked?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Not as of yet. My challenge with 3D, at least in the theater, is the darker image that appears on screen. A buddy of mine got a 3D tv last year and I've watched sporting events on his 3D but I can't see myself investing my money as of yet. I'm still hesitant about 4k even though the displays in store look amazing.

At this point I'm pretty happy with my Blu-Ray/Streaming set-up.

What about 3D has you hooked?
I am old enough to remember it in the 80's (as a child) and I was fascinated with it. With the quality out there it was a no brainer for me. Films like Gravity, Avatar, The Walk etc.. Look stunning. Also, some restorations like House Of Wax and the superb 3D rarities (looking at 3D from the vintage age) are great. I am also very excited about 4K HDR. I will be jumping onboard in a couple of years. I am big on A/V quality.
Thanks given by:
zorbonaut (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I am old enough to remember it in the 80's (as a child) and I was fascinated with it. With the quality out there it was a no brainer for me. Films like Gravity, Avatar, The Walk etc.. Look stunning. Also, some restorations like House Of Wax and the superb 3D rarities (looking at 3D from the vintage age) are great. I am also very excited about 4K HDR. I will be jumping onboard in a couple of years. I am big on A/V quality.
I have experienced mixed results from 3D in the theater. Beside the fact that the screen is darker, several films such as Avatar did not impress me in 3D. Two films that really stand out in terms of the potential of 3D are Gravity and How to Train Your Dragon. Watching Gravity in 3D was just amazing and certainly added a level of realism. I took my daughter to see How to Train Your Dragon in 3D and what I was most impressed about was the scenes that involved the dragon flying. Watching it in 3D really made that movie a different experience for me. If the studios could consistently produce top level 3D content then I would consider investing in that technology. For now I guess I'm taking a wait and see approach.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-17-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

I'm currently sitting at 146 Blu-Ray movies and only 1 DVD on the site (UV and iTunes are current). I have substantially more than that of both types (even though I've downsized since the early DVD days when I had close to 2000). Anyone else find it hard to get the time to scan your titles in?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

So I just turned 40 on March 25th. It seems like turning 40 is such a bigger milestone than 30 was. At least while in your 30's you can still pass for being "young".
Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 AM   #10

Dec 2008

Test...sorry
Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranjan View Post
Test...sorry
Your test worked

I'm officially making my thread the testing grounds for anything
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #12
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

It's been exactly a year since I started this thread. Not much has changed other than I'm coming up on Bday #41 next month.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

I'm going to make this thread a what I'm watching thread.

As of now- have been really busy so not as much time for film. I've been primarily focused on the TV show Last Man on Earth.

Watched 5 to 7 a few weekends ago which was a pleasant surprise.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Member Personal Pages