Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
56 min ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rubber (Blu-ray)
$6.99
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
9 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Ultraman Leo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
4 hrs ago
High School of the Dead: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$38.99
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 09-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
Banned

Mar 2016
Default How to tell if a show was shot on video tape? And will it ever be HD?

I'm looking at shows like Boy Meets World and Fresh Prince of Bel Air. To my understanding they were shot on video tape which means its highly unlikely that they'll ever be released in HD. Can anyone confirm this? All information I found on this was over 5 years old so I'm not sure if its outdated at this point.

Anyone know where to find whether a show was shot on film or video tape? And if it was video tape does that mean its nearly impossible to be upped to HD? To my understanding when shot on videotape its stuck to that resolution it was shot on.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoKing View Post
And if it was video tape does that mean its nearly impossible to be upped to HD?
Lots of material gets scaled but 480 scaled to 1080 will still look like 480.

HD shows recorded to HDCam or HDCam SR should be native 720p or 1080i so no scaling needed.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

Frame rate usually tells you - film has been shot at 24fps whereas video back then was shot at 30 to 32fps. Sporting events, documentaries, soap operas and many tv shows have typically been shot on video. With film. you can alter the look by using different film stock etc. but with video back then, you got what you shot... no alterations, no tint etc. Things have changed now with digital but over all, the easiest way to tell if something was shot on video was how smooth movement was because of the higher frame rate.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
Frame rate usually tells you - film has been shot at 24fps whereas video back then was shot at 30 to 32fps. Sporting events, documentaries, soap operas and many tv shows have typically been shot on video. With film. you can alter the look by using different film stock etc. but with video back then, you got what you shot... no alterations, no tint etc. Things have changed now with digital but over all, the easiest way to tell if something was shot on video was how smooth movement was because of the higher frame rate.
Analog color correctors have been around for a very long time. The corrector worked with RS170A video and could care less if the video was from a field camera, studio camera or telecine of a film. The telecine of a film was usually done as 3:2 pull down at 29.97 fps.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
Banned

Mar 2016

Cool, so I'm still a bit confused how to tell between film and videotape but I think the film grain can be an indicator. There's some TV shows I want to buy from the 90s that are only SD but I'd hate to buy them in SD and then have it released in HD after.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:17 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Imdb.com will usually tell you how a movie or TV show was shot in the technical details section. Not everyone trusts imdb.com, not sure why exactly, but you can also just do a direct internet search worded something like: how was "insert title here" shot (or filmed).

The best and most sure fire way to get a favorite TV show released onto blu-ray is to buy every season of it on DVD. Once you have it all on DVD, a blu-ray announcement will follow in about 3 months.
Thanks given by:
Ggould1975 (09-14-2019), Wendell R. Breland (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 02:15 AM   #7
Banned

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Imdb.com will usually tell you how a movie or TV show was shot in the technical details section. Not everyone trusts imdb.com, not sure why exactly, but you can also just do a direct internet search worded something like: how was "insert title here" shot (or filmed).

The best and most sure fire way to get a favorite TV show released onto blu-ray is to buy every season of it on DVD. Once you have it all on DVD, a blu-ray announcement will follow in about 3 months.
hahaha.. Thanks I'll use that search. I have tried imdb but with no luck. Seems like maybe it doesn't work as well for TV shows as it does for movies.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Imdb.com will usually tell you how a movie or TV show was shot in the technical details section. Not everyone trusts imdb.com, not sure why exactly,
because it has a documented history of sometimes posting incorrect technical details (search ‘imdb’ posts by Geoff or myself for some past examples), not to mention it is not very cutting edge, e.g. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6878306/ is not in pre-production, as it has already begun shooting
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology