Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
14 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
21 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
4 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
2 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
16 hrs ago
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
The Croods: A New Age (Blu-ray)
$20.98
14 hrs ago
Lake of Satan / Vampire's Night Orgy (Blu-ray)
$14.77
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 12-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #1
Special Member

Dec 2014
Thumbs up LAGAAN (2001) / Full HD / 5.1+ DD / Netflix

I saw first 15 mins of LAGAAN so far. Not a bad transfer.

Looks like its the NON-Columbia Tristar Bollywood master. I did not see their logo before "Aamir Khan Production" popped up.

Assuming DIs for 35mm films before 2007 were not done in Bollywood, this is not bad at all.

Good decent surrounds. Good AQ.
Good PQ for Full HD.

For a Bollywood film nominated for Oscars since SALAAM BOMBAY (1989), LAGAAN was long long overdue for Full HD debut.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #2

Feb 2008
Default LAGAAN (2001) / Full HD / 5.1+ DD / Netflix

Watched this on Netflix. It is the Indian version with the Amitabh voice-over on the English language segments. I found the voiceover to be really jarring. Aside from that there were some strange dropouts on the sound during scene changes in the songs. I hope that is rectified if ever released on BD.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

In India, sales of home video have declined alarmingly after the introduction of Netflix and Amazon Prime. People don't earn enough in this country to justify spending INR 1999 or more on a Blu-ray when they could watch every single movie on Amazon prime for INR 199 only, for an entire year. I talked with a major retailer/distributor store in India and they told me that studios have more or less stopped releasing their films on physical media entirely. In India, all technological leaps are jarring and final. The older format is entirely discarded in favour of the new. People move on pretty quickly onto the next big thing, especially if it is cheaper. This happened with celluloid film (projection/acquisition) and now with physical home video formats.

Last edited by Riddhi2011; 01-31-2020 at 06:24 AM.
Thanks given by:
kskies2 (03-04-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddhi2011 View Post
In India, sales of home video have declined alarmingly after the introduction of Netflix and Amazon Prime. People don't earn enough in this country to justify spending INR 1999 or more on a Blu-ray when they could watch every single movie on Amazon prime for INR 199 only, for an entire year...
Currently, Amz Prime is 999/year (or 129/month, depending on which package you take). Speaking for myself, yeah, I use streaming channels to try stuff, and most of the time they turn out to be one-time watches I'd rather not have cluttering up my collection. I do wish some of the Indian movies I found impressive would come out at least on DVD for future re-watches, but like you say the market for physical home media is extremely niche in India and not worth the cost for most companies. Woh lagaan nahin bhar sakte
Thanks given by:
ketan (02-01-2020), Riddhi2011 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 AM   #5

Jun 2010
India

Just to put it in perspective only 4 Hindi movies of last year released on Blu-ray - Thackeray, Kesari and War in India. Uri on German Blu-ray.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Currently, Amz Prime is 999/year (or 129/month, depending on which package you take). Speaking for myself, yeah, I use streaming channels to try stuff, and most of the time they turn out to be one-time watches I'd rather not have cluttering up my collection. I do wish some of the Indian movies I found impressive would come out at least on DVD for future re-watches, but like you say the market for physical home media is extremely niche in India and not worth the cost for most companies. Woh lagaan nahin bhar sakte
That was quite the mistake on my part. Indeed it is INR 999. Even I have the membership, though I rarely use it. The only new movie I saw through Amz Prime was 'War.' I took the subscription mainly for shopping purposes. I have relatively non-existent interest in streaming services and like watching films in the cinema. I have a modest collection of home video as well but I don't buy stuff regularly.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India