Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
18 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

Shadow in the Cloud (Blu-ray)
$19.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Nov 2009
Default OTT Service in India

We all know OTT service can not surpass blu-ray media. But there's no option to see Indian movie anymore
What is the quality of the OTT services in India in general?
Moreover, only Amazon Prime Video is doing 4K service. (Netflix?)
What about hotstar, ZEE... etc...
Old 03-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2010
India

Netflix has a premium UHD plan for ~800/ monthly. I personally find Netflix to have the best A/V streaming quality (for standard HD at least) but Amz Prime has also picked up a great deal from its beginnings, and since some time now their app supports surround sound on Chromecast also (previously if you didn't have a Fire stick you only had stereo).

Don't know about the others, it's hard enough to keep up with new content on these.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Expert Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by raSpberRy View Post
We all know OTT service can not surpass blu-ray media. But there's no option to see Indian movie anymore
What is the quality of the OTT services in India in general?
Moreover, only Amazon Prime Video is doing 4K service. (Netflix?)
What about hotstar, ZEE... etc...
Netflix offers a decent amount of titles in 4K with Dolby Vision and Atmos. Some of it looks and sounds pretty impressive, though watching 4K on disc is always an unmatched experience. Then again it also depends on your screen size and sound setup. The bigger the screen, the more dramatic changes you'll notice. I could easily spot the difference between 4K and HD content on my 65" OLED screen.
Thanks given by:
ketan (03-09-2020), kskies2 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

Sep 2017
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India

I've found Hotstar and Zee5 to be extremely poor when it comes to quality. Bit-rates are lower than that of Youtube. Hotstar used to be way worse, with 25 fps content being the default (which was sped up and almost always sounded funny). Some of their newer releases seem to be having their accurate runtimes, but I'm not sure if this change is permanent. Both these platforms limit their audio streams to stereo, and the bit-rate is definitely lesser than 100 Kbps, which is a far cry from even standard DTS tracks on DVDs (which run at ~768 Kbps).

I've found Amazon Prime and Netflix to be far better, with better bit-rates being allocated to both the video and audio streams, supporting upto Atmos when it comes to audio. If not for both these services, the rest are plainly bad (and inferior options even when compared to DVD).
Thanks given by:
97_Octane (03-11-2020), ketan (03-09-2020), kskies2 (03-15-2020), pavan_a (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #5

Jun 2010
India

Pretty much what kiri222 has said in the Indian scenario.

What I gather on forums where they discuss English/foreign movies is that Amazon and Netflix are now getting close to blu-ray quality.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

Nov 2009

This is the tragedy of Indian blu-ray user. Even Netflix and Prime provide 4K / UHD contents, but how many Indian contents do?
& also the companies that have OTT company (e.g. ZEE studio) bring their films to their poor OTT service and stop making material media.
What a getting worse situation...
Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
Expert Member

Apr 2011

With majority of people happy with their free 700 MB files, the sad state of physical media in India comes to me as no surprise. Unfortunately, I never really found many people willing to own a movie legally by paying for it - even when things were not as bad. On the contrary, I keep seeing people bragging publicly about their talent to "download movies from internet" without realising that it is unethical or amounts to theft. When companies incur losses, they shut shops. Simple. Also, there could be other factors in play too. Just look at the pricing module of some of the surviving Indian companies. It remains downright ridiculous even today with little or no emphasis on quality or content.
Thanks given by:
kiri222 (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #8

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
With majority of people happy with their free 700 MB files, the sad state of physical media in India comes to me as no surprise. Unfortunately, I never really found many people willing to own a movie legally by paying for it - even when things were not as bad. On the contrary, I keep seeing people bragging publicly about their talent to "download movies from internet" without realising that it is unethical or amounts to theft. When companies incur losses, they shut shops. Simple. Also, there could be other factors in play too. Just look at the pricing module of some of the surviving Indian companies. It remains downright ridiculous even today with little or no emphasis on quality or content.
Couldn't agree more with this. Just because something is available for cheap or even free, it doesn't mean that one should settle for something inferior. I don't know when the majority of the consumers would understand this point. People who have gotten into this hobby are the ones who are suffering now.

No online retailer does sales and promotions anymore (or do very few of these), physical media stores are practically gone, home media companies have shut down and prices are skyrocketing.. all of these right when I am about to start working.. it stings all the more. Collecting movies has been my #1 hobby and today, it has become impossible to continue it at the same rate as earlier.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:15 AM   #9

Nov 2009

What about this

[Disney Plus Hotstar]
https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...937240456.html

Isn't it possible to be developed Hotstar's quality?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #10

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by raSpberRy View Post
What about this

[Disney Plus Hotstar]
https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...937240456.html

Isn't it possible to be developed Hotstar's quality?
I wouldn't count on it, though. Given that they're probably gonna add all of the new content under the same site, the encodes are likely to be in similar quality, as opposed to being better. If they actually carry higher bit-rates and support surround audio tracks, all good. If not, it's business as usual. We'll hopefully get to know more about it in a week, or so.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India