Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
17 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 day ago
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
1 day ago
Trading Places (Blu-ray)
$16.99
8 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
15 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

The Croods: A New Age (Blu-ray)
$20.98
1 day ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

Nov 2014
Hobbs Lane
Default Why some discs make player vibrate loudly?

Once in a while, a blu-ray disc will not spin smoothly (or whatever) and make my LG player vibrate loudly. It's happened repeatedly recently when I try to play SHOUT disc "Quatermass 2". I don't recall this happening when I first got the disc. It gets less loud if you chapter forward to the end of the movie, but is just as bad if you return to the start (and impossible to watch). I keep discs vertical on a bookshelf. The disc looks fairly flat, or as flat as the "Quatermass Pit" disc I got at the same time, which plays quietly.
The "Quatermass 2" initially wants to connect to the internet (I don't have a wifi player), but I wouldn't think that somehow created the issue. Should I try to exchange the disc with Shout?
Old 07-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2017
Western Canada

Certainly I'm not an expert, but in the old days of LPs (CDs on vinyl), you would often bring an LP back to the store for an exchange if you bought it new, brought it home, and something wonky happened when you tried to play it, despite the fact your other 500+ LPs played fine. Stuff happens. I would not think your disc is warped.

If it's only this disc that does it in your collection, for sure at least contact Shout and see if this disc has known issues as well as telling them what yours does. Won't cost you anything but your time. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulstool View Post
Once in a while, a blu-ray disc will not spin smoothly (or whatever) and make my LG player vibrate loudly. It's happened repeatedly recently when I try to play SHOUT disc "Quatermass 2". I don't recall this happening when I first got the disc. It gets less loud if you chapter forward to the end of the movie, but is just as bad if you return to the start (and impossible to watch). I keep discs vertical on a bookshelf. The disc looks fairly flat, or as flat as the "Quatermass Pit" disc I got at the same time, which plays quietly.
The "Quatermass 2" initially wants to connect to the internet (I don't have a wifi player), but I wouldn't think that somehow created the issue. Should I try to exchange the disc with Shout?
If this is the older LG UP97O 4K UHD BD player it was because the optical loader lacked necessarily vibration dampening to keep the disk spinning faster from not buzzing in the light chassis. Some people sent the player back to LG for them resolve the problem. Some modified the mounts to isolate the vibration from the chassis. The UBK90 supposedly fixed this issue, still LG players in this instance were bad as far as disk noise issues because of making a player that was substandard IMHO.

BDs can be perfect flat, but the center hole could be slightly off center, or the shape of the media cause it not to be balanced when spinning.

Last edited by JohnAV; 07-16-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #4

Nov 2014
Hobbs Lane

Thanks for the responses.

It's a BD611 (the last model that had a zoom-in feature, btw). It rarely has this problem with a disc. Forgot about my Seiki player (which I have mainly for region-2-locked discs). Disc plays fine in that. It probably had this problem when I got it (unless it developed over time?) and I simply used the Seiki rather than jump thru hoops to exchange it at Bullmoose. Kind of doubt Shout will give a hoot about it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology