Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 hr ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 hr ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.46
15 hrs ago
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Toy Soldiers (Blu-ray)
$14.41
12 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 06-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #21

Feb 2015

The last time I checked replicating Blu-rays still had a lot of front-loaded licensing fees from Blu-ray Disc Association which significantly added to the prices on volumes of about 3,000 units or less.

Regular DVDs do not have these licensing fees and are therefore much cheaper when replicating (pressing) between 500 - 3000 units.

High volume is key to making Blu-rays relatively affordable when compared to DVD as the licensing fees, when amortized over 10,000 units for example, make the unit cost much cheaper.

As we've seen many independent distributors are choosing to distribute DVD-only for a physical release as, I suppose, the difference in price between Blu-ray and DVD is still a significant financial consideration for them. The decision certainly has nothing to do with putting out the finest quality.
Thanks given by:
i95 (09-24-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #22

Aug 2007
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
The last time I checked replicating Blu-rays still had a lot of front-loaded licensing fees from Blu-ray Disc Association which significantly added to the prices on volumes of about 3,000 units or less.

Regular DVDs do not have these licensing fees and are therefore much cheaper when replicating (pressing) between 500 - 3000 units.

High volume is key to making Blu-rays relatively affordable when compared to DVD as the licensing fees, when amortized over 10,000 units for example, make the unit cost much cheaper.

As we've seen many independent distributors are choosing to distribute DVD-only for a physical release as, I suppose, the difference in price between Blu-ray and DVD is still a significant financial consideration for them. The decision certainly has nothing to do with putting out the finest quality.
When will this licensing fee expire?

Quite good to know that in the near future we could be seeing cheaper Blu-ray discs. That would definitely help sales. Although has it been done much earlier we may have seen the format fully replace DVDs.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #23

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladriusse View Post
When will this licensing fee expire?

Quite good to know that in the near future we could be seeing cheaper Blu-ray discs. That would definitely help sales. Although has it been done much earlier we may have seen the format fully replace DVDs.
I imagine the Blu-ray Disc Association will continue charging these fees. After 14 years they would have cancelled them if they wanted to. I'm not sure if these fees apply to a re-order of an existing disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology