Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
11 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
JaguarBae JaguarBae is offline
Active Member
 
JaguarBae's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
USA
Default Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy



  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Andrew-Kenneth (08-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
ravenus ravenus is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1
1125
304
115
6
Default

I suspect this will be the Hindi language release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 PM   #3
JaguarBae JaguarBae is offline
Active Member
 
JaguarBae's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
I suspect this will be the Hindi language release.
https://www.movieskart.in/product/sy...ddy-blu-ray-3/

This one actually says Telugu

Anyone have it? I'm hoping it's legit, since I don't see it on other sites.

Last edited by JaguarBae; 08-27-2020 at 12:22 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #4
ashik786 ashik786 is offline
Special Member
 
ashik786's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
God's Own Country
155
1549
266
30
103
16
20
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarBae View Post
https://www.movieskart.in/product/sy...ddy-blu-ray-3/

This one actually says Telugu

Anyone have it? I'm hoping it's legit, since I don't see it on other sites.
it's pirated one. Rip from amazon prime
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
JaguarBae JaguarBae is offline
Active Member
 
JaguarBae's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashik786 View Post
it's pirated one. Rip from amazon prime
Really? How did you find out?

I did just watch it on Amazon Prime though. Looked amazing in glorious 4K
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
ashik786 ashik786 is offline
Special Member
 
ashik786's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
God's Own Country
155
1549
266
30
103
16
20
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarBae View Post
Really? How did you find out?

I did just watch it on Amazon Prime though. Looked amazing in glorious 4K
It's not officially released on Blu-ray or DVD
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:30 AM   #7
pavan_a pavan_a is offline
Member
 
pavan_a's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
India
Default

The movie was made on such a huge scale that despite being such a huge hit it wasn't profitable for the makers.

Worth a Blu-ray for this one obviously but unfortunately there isn't one
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
ravenus ravenus is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1
1125
304
115
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_a View Post
The movie was made on such a huge scale that despite being such a huge hit it wasn't profitable for the makers.
Everyone assumes they can do Bahubali numbers just by aping the Bahubali style. But BB was set in a generic fairyland that could be in any part of India, so it was easier for audiences across the country to accept it. SRNR is the specific tale of a freedom fighter from Andhra, even when you present it in an all-purpose warrior movie mode. Most non-Andhra audiences would be like "Sye who? Never heard of him." This should have been taken into account when conceiving the budget and scale of the film.
Also, the lead character was barely 40 when he was killed by the British. Having him be played by 60+ Chiranjeevi, who most Hindi viewers would find a quaint uncle that had a few Hindi releases in the 90's before returning back to his local fiefdom, is hardly a winning idea. Ram Charan himself or NTR Jr would have been more suited age-wise for the lead...or would they have been already busy with Rajamouli's project then?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dragun (08-28-2020), pavan_a (08-29-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #9
JaguarBae JaguarBae is offline
Active Member
 
JaguarBae's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Everyone assumes they can do Bahubali numbers just by aping the Bahubali style. But BB was set in a generic fairyland that could be in any part of India, so it was easier for audiences across the country to accept it. SRNR is the specific tale of a freedom fighter from Andhra, even when you present it in an all-purpose warrior movie mode. Most non-Andhra audiences would be like "Sye who? Never heard of him." This should have been taken into account when conceiving the budget and scale of the film.
Also, the lead character was barely 40 when he was killed by the British. Having him be played by 60+ Chiranjeevi, who most Hindi viewers would find a quaint uncle that had a few Hindi releases in the 90's before returning back to his local fiefdom, is hardly a winning idea. Ram Charan himself or NTR Jr would have been more suited age-wise for the lead...or would they have been already busy with Rajamouli's project then?

I've heard it wasn't promoted well in Hindi markets. But knowing him personally shouldn't matter since everyone knows about the British East India company controlling India. I had never heard of him, but I had been looking forward to this because there has not been an India vs British Empire film before like this. It was a strangely missing thing in Indian cinema. (Non Indian here)

I thought in regard to sets and effects, Sye Raa matched the Baahubali series and even exceeded it in certain areas. Granted they used real temples that already existed, but still the sheer scale of the cast looked enormous. Were there actually millions of extras in this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #10
ravenus ravenus is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1
1125
304
115
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarBae View Post
I've heard it wasn't promoted well in Hindi markets. But knowing him personally shouldn't matter since everyone knows about the British East India company controlling India.
I may be wrong on this, but I feel there has been at least a subtle regional chauvinism in the establishment's eulogizing of national heroes. Typically freedom fighters and revolutionaries from the North and Central India have been more highlighted in textbooks and other media, while most heroes south of Tipu Sultan are significantly less known on a national scale. A Tagore is known everywhere but mention a Subramaniya Bharathi in a non South Indian milieu and you will likely get blank stares. A Rani Lakshmibai carries greater currency across the country than a Mangai Velunachiyar.

And while it's nice to think that people should be unbiased about this, that's not how it works out in reality. Like with wanting to know the names of the stars when deciding which movie to see, folks prefer to see biopics of names they've actually heard and have at least a dim idea about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarBae View Post
Were there actually millions of extras in this?
At least in the trailer there's a lot of obvious CG doubling and compositing used in the big crowd scenes. I doubt more than a few hundred extras were actually used.

Last edited by ravenus; 08-29-2020 at 12:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
pavan_a (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #11
ravenus ravenus is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1
1125
304
115
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarBae View Post
but I had been looking forward to this because there has not been an India vs British Empire film before like this. It was a strangely missing thing in Indian cinema. (Non Indian here)
The expense factor of a large-scale period film is the main issue here, especially since unlike Hollywood most Indian period films don't have a significant overseas market. The other aspect is that unless you're doing a flat glorification, it is hard to make a historical or even mythological that doesn't offend one or the other social group (that is usually also connected to a political outfit).

Some of the prominent Indian films that have shown large scale scenes of combat with the British include:

1942 A Love Story - A fictional tale of romance set against the freedom struggle. Made by Vinod Chopra, who was assisted here by Sanjay Bhansali.

Kerala Varma Pazhassi Raja - an 18th century Kerala ruler who fought with the British for the same reasons as Narasimha Reddy. This was the costliest Malayalam film of its time, although I suspect less than a 5th of SRNR's budget.

I haven't seen the 2005 Mangal Pandey film, but since it it is set during the time of the 1857 mutiny, I would assume it has large-scale skirmishes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
JaguarBae JaguarBae is offline
Active Member
 
JaguarBae's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
I doubt more than a few hundred extras were actually used.
for war scenes maybe


I'm sticking with at least a million for the bustling temple scenes.

Also it was funny how every single Baahubali side character is in this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
pavan_a pavan_a is offline
Member
 
pavan_a's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
India
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
I haven't seen the 2005 Mangal Pandey film, but since it it is set during the time of the 1857 mutiny, I would assume it has large-scale skirmishes.
Best not watched. Its boring. Also, the only time I personally didn't like even one song from the entire soundtrack by Rahman.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:39 PM   #14
JaguarBae JaguarBae is offline
Active Member
 
JaguarBae's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
But BB was set in a generic fairyland that could be in any part of India
South fairyland though. Architecture didn't look North

Last edited by JaguarBae; 08-30-2020 at 04:07 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:30 AM   #15
Dragun Dragun is online now
Power Member
 
Dragun's Avatar
 
May 2010
38
632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarBae View Post
Were there actually millions of extras in this?
Probably not. The record for most extras in a film is 300,000 for the funeral scene in Gandhi. I doubt any movie in the CGI era has used anywhere close to 300,000 physical extras, let alone 1 million.

Last edited by Dragun; 08-31-2020 at 07:39 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ravenus (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #16
ravenus ravenus is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1
1125
304
115
6
Default

Yeah, I don't think you can get a million people even for a mass political rally, where they just round up villagers in trucks and hand them a food pack and maybe some additional cash to make it worth their while.
Frankly I suspect the budget was artificially inflated to pull off some tax evasion tricks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:14 AM   #17
JaguarBae JaguarBae is offline
Active Member
 
JaguarBae's Avatar
 
Jun 2017
USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragun View Post
Probably not. The record for most extras in a film is 300,000 for the funeral scene in Gandhi. I doubt any movie in the CGI era has used anywhere close to 300,000 physical extras, let alone 1 million.
Filming areal shots in cities can have millions of extras. Willing or unwilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Frankly I suspect the budget was artificially inflated to pull off some tax evasion tricks.
You're awful negative for someone who hasn't seen the movie
Didn't you say you only watched the trailer
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:41 AM   #18
ravenus ravenus is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
ravenus's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
India
6
1
1125
304
115
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaguarBae View Post
Filming areal shots in cities can have millions of extras. Willing or unwilling
A little different from extras in a period film who have to be draped in period clothing. Also, even those aerial shots would have to cover 10-15% of the whole city area to get a million people in cumulative view.
Quote:
You're awful negative for someone who hasn't seen the movie
Didn't you say you only watched the trailer
I admit that's just speculation on my part. I'm a little confused as to why primarily Telugu language films (which generally have a smaller market than Bollywood) are given budget estimates almost twice that of Hindi films with grand period settings.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:16 PM.