Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
17 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
1 day ago
Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
1 day ago
Trading Places (Blu-ray)
$16.99
8 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
15 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

The Croods: A New Age (Blu-ray)
$20.98
1 day ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2007
orange county, ca
Question College Students

blu-ray should put on a blu-ray college campus tour. after all, they are the future of the market no?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Umd Baby!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #3

Jun 2007

I'd be afraid of what would happen to my ps3 in a dorm room. It might grow legs and walk away
Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

add blu-ray collection to that
!

maybe all college students should bring HDUD LOL
Old 08-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #5

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctash View Post
I'd be afraid of what would happen to my ps3 in a dorm room. It might grow legs and walk away
Well, it might depend on where you go to school, but I had my ps3 in my dorm room last year, and second semester I even brought my 46-in xbr2 to show it off. Many people knew about it (and were awed by it) and I never had any problems.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Banned

Apr 2007

ps3, xbox 360, and xbox (thanks to the wonderful BC of MS) all in the room nobody ever took a thing and we always had our door propped. given i go to a school with a city that has basically a zip crime rate.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #7

Jul 2007
northern virginia

well if you look at it as most college students dont have a lot of money and have other things finacally to worry bout then spending 500 dollars on a hi def player not to mention i'm not sure how many dorm rooms come equipped w/ hi def tvs...i see it this way if your in college most likely you have a 24/7 internet connection so if you want to find out about blu ray you will
Old 08-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Banned

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReduxInflux View Post
blu-ray should put on a blu-ray college campus tour. after all, they are the future of the market no?
Do you really think they're going to get the money they need right now out of college students? The typical college student probably isn't into much of this stuff yet since they likely can't afford it. It's those that are out of college and have more disposable income that they need to focus on.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
Expert Member

Jun 2007
orange county, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Neutral View Post
Do you really think they're going to get the money they need right now out of college students? The typical college student probably isn't into much of this stuff yet since they likely can't afford it. It's those that are out of college and have more disposable income that they need to focus on.
disagree. its the fresh out of college students that start spending the big bucks on entertainment once they get jobs because most of em are single or have no financial responsibilities other than rent. or they might even move back home with the parents. they are the future. plus its where a concentrated demographic is. when a few students get wind of something it spreads like a wildfire. i'm only 3 years out of school and this is the way it was at mine (with xbox and halo...pretty soon every guy dorm on campus had one and we were all in tournaments with each other).
Old 08-29-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

May 2007
Send a message via AIM to Lord_Stewie

Quote:
disagree. its the fresh out of college students that start spending the big bucks on entertainment once they get jobs because most of em are single or have no financial responsibilities other than rent. or they might even move back home with the parents. they are the future. plus its where a concentrated demographic is. when a few students get wind of something it spreads like a wildfire. i'm only 3 years out of school and this is the way it was at mine (with xbox and halo...pretty soon every guy dorm on campus had one and we were all in tournaments with each other).
they have responsibility to school, most of those you are talking about tend to have a higher failure rate in their school. great entertainment in the room, why go to school. my roommate was addicted to this war game i don't remember the name of it. being suspended from school twice, the second time he got suspended, he was suspended for 5 years.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #11
Special Member

Jan 2007

They could start with ads during College games. Dunno if it would do much though, most college students are usually broke or on a budget.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
Special Member

Jan 2006

Just remember...
"Our children are our future"........
No matter how SCARY that can be!

Jodi
soon to be a Grad Student
Old 07-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #13
Banned

Jul 2020

I'd be afraid of what would happen to my ps3 in a dorm room.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:52 AM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

College probably isn't the greatest time to "collect." When I was at university, a lot of the kids weren't the best at keeping their door locked or generally watching over the space. Most people lived with multiple roommates and had their collections combined in the living room. Friends and neighbors might be around or even borrow stuff without you knowing. Dorms and student housing also generally aren't always the most well maintained by students. Plus, you have pretty limited income as a student.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
IMO, you're dreaming. It's OVER for physical media with young people. It's a streaming world for music (82% of the North American music industry in 2019) and it's also over for physical video media. Physical was an $11b market in 2009 and $3.4b market in 2019. And that's overall, with young people it's much smaller.

Games are completely different because the physical player is needed and for games of that complexity, streaming isn't an option.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
IMO, you're dreaming. It's OVER for physical media with young people. It's a streaming world for music (82% of the North American music industry in 2019) and it's also over for physical video media. Physical was an $11b market in 2009 and $3.4b market in 2019. And that's overall, with young people it's much smaller.

Games are completely different because the physical player is needed and for games of that complexity, streaming isn't an option.

For a member of a Blu-ray forum, you have always had such a downer on Blu-ray imo. Let it go man, despite your yearly predictions, it’s never been a better time to be a collector. I have had to curb my spending this year because I have already bought 65 Blurays/UHD. That’s in a year with no new releases since March!
There are many young collectors of disc, I know a few myself. However, you carry on with your sweeping statements.
Bumping years old threads to spread your message, come on man!
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (08-30-2020), Thomas Irwin (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2013
The Ocean State
-
-
-

Thanks given by:
Steedeel (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 11:09 PM   #18
Power Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
College probably isn't the greatest time to "collect." When I was at university, a lot of the kids weren't the best at keeping their door locked or generally watching over the space. Most people lived with multiple roommates and had their collections combined in the living room. Friends and neighbors might be around or even borrow stuff without you knowing. Dorms and student housing also generally aren't always the most well maintained by students. Plus, you have pretty limited income as a student.
I actually started my blu-ray collection right as I started college. My parents helped pay for a lot of the films, but I would buy some on my own as well. I was the only 1 in my dorm who had a built in blu-ray player on their laptop and had a dedicated blu-ray player as well. I was also very protective of each of my movies. I would be the only one placing them in the players or I would really have trusted them in order for them to take them out of the case and place them in the player. I even was nicknamed "Blu-Ray" by my college friends. They still call me that from time to time, haha!

When I lived in an apartment while I was still attending college, I would have my movies displayed on a small Atlantic movie shelf. That of course got bigger overtime and I had to manage what movies I wanted up in college and what ones I had to keep at home. I did have a roommate for some part of the time I was in an apartment, but he kept his movies separate in his room. I actually waited at a college Target at 8 am in the morning (when they opened) just to get the Harry Potter Blu-ray Ultimate Edition for Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2. Needless to say, if I didn't collect in college, my collection wouldn't be as big would have lucked out on some awesome blu-rays. But starting a blu-ray collection in college can be done.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:19 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post

You're arguing with a post from 2007 when physical media was king. No idea why the newbie bumped this thread or even found it for that matter.
Thanks given by:
alchav21 (08-30-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
But starting a blu-ray collection in college can be done.
It certainly can be done. I was just surprised how many people keep their doors unlocked. When I was in college, most apartments pretty much remained unlocked so neighbors could walk in. Where I stayed the collections were all combined in the living room and it wasn't uncommon for neighbors to borrow them or otherwise use your stuff without directly asking for your permission. Hopefully those in school who are building large collections are keeping tabs of student loans, debts and maximizing 401k contributions, etc. at that age. It's just not really a good time to collect tons of movies or otherwise engage in regular discretionary spending. If I could go back to being that age again I would have lived as a minimalist and put the majority of money towards savings.

Last edited by meremortal; 09-04-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology