Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
5 hrs ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
3 hrs ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Lake of Satan / Vampire's Night Orgy (Blu-ray)
$14.77
11 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Juanki Juanki is offline
Junior Member
 
Sep 2014
Default Blu ray damaged?

Hi there!

I recently bought a sealed blu ray of "THE RIGHT STUFF" and when I opened it, the disc featured this:

https://ibb.co/dJFCQhH
https://ibb.co/G3c7j58

Has anyone any idea of what's that? Is it rotted? The thing is that I can't replace it for another unit as this movie it's out of print in the country I bought it. Do you think it is safe to play it?

Any help on this matter would be helpful. Thanks a lot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
canucksam canucksam is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
canucksam's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Western Canada
2
398
1372
7
Default

No idea what it is; others might know better than I, however, I don't see what damage it would cause by trying to play it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
JohnAV JohnAV is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
189
774
69
235
31
2
Default

There are two spots showing, another is less visible, like something that dripped on the media before packaging? If so take a soft cotton cloth and use so warm water and see if it just is some residual that can just be wiped off gently.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
Juanki Juanki is offline
Junior Member
 
Sep 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksam View Post
No idea what it is; others might know better than I, however, I don't see what damage it would cause by trying to play it.
If it is fungus, could it infect another discs or my player?

Do you think I should clean it? I've never cleaned a blu ray disc before, how should I do it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
JohnAV JohnAV is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
189
774
69
235
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanki View Post
If it is fungus, could it infect another discs or my player?

Do you think I should clean it? I've never cleaned a blu ray disc before, how should I do it?
Its like cleaning eye glasses. I just use a soft cotton, like from a soft under garment with a little warm water. Wipe slowly circular one direction in the area. You can also use eye glasses solution. Disk rot looks like a mirror losing itís reflected coating, that cleaning will not alter.

fungus can not eat plastic especially blu ray that is coated to protect it and unless the disk is physically damaged fungus cant get inside of it.

disks can be damage from being left in the sun, using improper chemicals to clean them, spilling chemicals on them etc
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (01-12-2021)
Old 11-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
Juanki Juanki is offline
Junior Member
 
Sep 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Its like cleaning eye glasses. I just use a soft cotton, like from a soft under garment with a little warm water. Wipe slowly circular one direction in the area. You can also use eye glasses solution. Disk rot looks like a mirror losing itís reflected coating, that cleaning will not alter.

fungus can not eat plastic especially blu ray that is coated to protect it and unless the disk is physically damaged fungus cant get inside of it.

disks can be damage from being left in the sun, using improper chemicals to clean them, spilling chemicals on them etc
Thanks pal, I'll try your advice.

By the way, I have another defective blu ray which skips on motion, it doesn't follow the playing on several chapters. The things is that I kept my blu rays on vertical piles, and this one was at the bottom (and trust me, there was a lot of titles in that pile). It also featured one of those pesky Warner blu ray cases which don't really protect the disc on the recorded side. So maybe, this spoilt the blu ray itself? Do you think it could have any reparation? It features not marks or whatever on the surface.

Also, should I conserve my blu ray and dvds horizontally instead? I am already doing after this happened but I amn't sure if this happened to anyone else. What's the best?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
slaizer2000 slaizer2000 is offline
Expert Member
 
Mar 2007
Rochester NY
67
1117
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanki View Post
If it is fungus, could it infect another discs or my player?

Do you think I should clean it? I've never cleaned a blu ray disc before, how should I do it?
Only fungus that ever affected high definition movies was HD DVD. Pretty sure that was eradicated though.

Clean it and if it doesn't work I'd say return it for a new copy.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 AM.