Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Country Music (DVD)
$38.00

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96

The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99
1 day ago
Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
1 day ago
Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 06-19-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Dallas (the original series) and Knots Landing

Surprised there wasn't an existing thread for the original Dallas TV series and Knots Landing, being as the DVD releases were ages ago.

It's a shame that the original Dallas was completed, but we only got the first two seasons of Knots Landing on DVD (it's apparently music clearance issues which has stopped the remaining twelve seasons of Knots from getting physical media releases).
Old 06-19-2020, 12:21 AM   #2

Nov 2012

I was hoping flamingo road, falcon crest, Dallas, and knots landing would show up on Hbomax
Old 06-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

I've thought (and it was something I read elsewhere and now agree with) that the first five episodes of the original Dallas (which had a different Southfork) were a pilot for the series. But on DVD the seasons were incorrectly labelled. These first five episodes were called the first season. When the show started in the autumn of the same year, that season was called the second season on DVD (they were at a new Southfork, which was the one used for the remainder of the original show's thirteen year run).

For the majority of the show (think it was just the last three seasons where they shot on location only in California and on studio sets in California (there were a handful of episodes though, towards the end of the 1988-89 season, where some exterior scenes were shot on location in Europe), around the first dozen or so episodes of the season, they shot exterior locations in Texas (with some or all of the interior scenes shot on studio sets). The rest of the season, they shot on location in California. The interior Southfork scenes I think were always shot on studio sets.

Val and Gary Ewing debuted on Dallas first (technically they both played their characters for fourteen seasons, including when they were on Knots Landing), with Val I think appearing occasionly in the first season of Dallas (a different actor played Gary in a two-part episode of Dallas' first season, called "Reunion").

In Dallas' second season, the first pilot of Knots Landing aired (called "Return Engagement"). A new actor guest-starred as Gary Ewing (Ted Shackelford), and the rest is history. Knots Landing debuted shortly after that episode aired in the States, with what I think was it's second pilot (Bobby Ewing made a brief crossover appearance at the beginning of Knots Landing's first episode).
Old 07-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Regarding the Dallas TV films, the only way you can get them on physical media DVD in the UK, is by buying the complete series boxset. However, if I remember correctly, they were released together in the States, separate from the series:

Dallas: The Early Years
Dallas: J.R. Returns
and Dallas: War of the Ewings.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

I'd be interested to know what songs are in the third season of Knots Landing, as I don't think Lisa Hartman joined the show until the fourth season of the series.

I'd forgotten about this until I was reminded in a reply in another discussion thread on this forum, that Betsy Palmer and Lar Park Lincoln were both on Knots around the same time (they've both appeared in the Friday the 13th film series, along with actor Terry Kiser (he guest-starred in one episode).
Old 09-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

A friend told me some news yesterday which I was gutted about, that actor Kevin Dobson has passed away. He's known for playing Crockett on the original Kojak series, but for me, I know him best for playing Mack McKenzie on the long-running drama series Knots Landing (my favourite TV series).
Old 11-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

There were a couple of examples of two different versions of an episode of Knots Landing (there was apparently a third example, but I can't think where it it could be (I'd read on a soap opera forum that Karen sees a ghost in an episode), both are from the later seasons.

When BBC One first showed the series in the UK, it was (I think) on Saturday evenings. But it was dropped because of low ratings. A few years later, the series resumed in a weekday afternoon timeslot (original episodes were still airing in the States). I remember watching the later seasons, and we weren't that far behind the States.

The first example of an episode being cut, or with an alternative version of a scene, was when Danny Walenska (who was married to Val at the time)
[Show spoiler]assaulted his ex-wife Amanda. It occured at the end of the episode. A few years ago, when CBS Drama showed the series, they showed what I guess was the original, uncut version of that scene.

The second example, was the ending of an episode from the following season. Linda Fairgate (played by Lar Park Lincoln) who had been married to Karen's son Michael, had been having a relationship with (I think) an architect called Brian (played by actor Philip Brown). Things turned bad, which ended with
[Show spoiler]Linda being killed by Brian. In the version shown on BBC One, it was implied what happened to her. But when CBS Drama showed the episode, you knew what happened to her.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:27 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Apologies if I've already posted about this in the thread, but a fellow poster reminded me of a third example of an episode of Knots being cut, something about Karen seeing a ghost. But I haven't seen or read anything about which episode this occurs in. When I saw CBS Drama's repeat run of the show, there was no mention of this ghost.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies