Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
2 hrs ago
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96
1 day ago
Best of Warner Bros. 20 Film Collection Romance (DVD)
$19.96

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete Eleventh Season (DVD)
$7.99
12 hrs ago
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.: The Complete Series (DVD)
$9.96

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-21-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Hawaii Five-O (the original series)

I haven't selected a flag icon, as this thread won't be just about the American DVD releases of the original Hawaii Five-O series. I was surprised there wasn't an existing thread for the original series in the DVD Movies sub-forum.

Still waiting for CBS or Paramount to do a Blu-ray complete series release (or maybe a German label like Koch Media to do a release), but what I saw on Amazon UK interested me. Noticed in the pre-order section a listing for a DVD release of the eighth season by label Mediumrare. Why did I find this interesting? The DVD releases were around the same speed as in the States, until the releases in the UK stopped after the seventh season (the first season with Jack Lord as unofficial showrunner (following the death of Leonard Freeman).

Since then, the series was finished in the States. When CBS/Paramount got to the tenth season, it was released unremastered. After (apparently) complaints, the eleventh and twelfth seasons were transferred to HD/remastered. Later on, a complete series set was released in the States with the tenth season remastered.

In Australia, all twelve seasons were released in two volumes (the first seven seasons, then the last five seasons, including the extras in the American release).

Would like to bear in mind, that both the American and UK releases of the second seasons didn't include the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself". Am assuming this is the same with the Australian release of the first seven seasons.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (10-23-2020), cutback73 (10-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 03:21 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Great thread. I'm an original series Hawaii Five-O fan here; though I've seen some of the series years ago, I'm now making a point of watching the show chronologically on the Region 1 DVD sets.

I never saw the show when it originally aired (it was somewhat before my time, especially the early seasons). I really started watching TV in the '80's - and I don't remember it it was ever re-run during that decade in my area. We only got a handful of stations at the time (no cable), so my viewing was very limited.

Re: the DVD set(s), I am quite impressed by the Picture Quality (PQ) on these. Overall, it's exceptional & I'm so happy with this that I don't see the need for an upgrade. Sure, there's always room for improvement - but, I'm 100% satisfied with the quality of the picture/sound on these existing disks....and I rarely feel that way, especially with DVD-only TV show releases.

Obviously, this is an extremely well-known show which has resulted in the term "Five O" and the saying "Book 'em, Danno" becoming part of our cultural "language".

The opening theme song/scenes is one of my favorite openers of any TV show. Perfect marriage of a great instrumental theme song & excellently edited scenes; I especially like the quick cuts, notably the different scenes of the sunset(s) on the water, one right after the other - well-done.

I like how the "beautiful island paradise" aspect of Hawaii was counter-acted by the grim & gritty crimes/situations the H5O team found themselves up against in each episode.

There was also mention of The Korean War & WW II in some of the episodes. And, I know that future episodes bring these to the fore-front even more with some story-lines directly tied into these wars. This is a good reminder of how old this show is. When it made it's debut in 1968, it was only 23 years after WW II ended (in 1945) and only 15 years after the Korean War ended (in 1953). In fact, McGarret's back-story was that he was in the military during the Korean war.

And, the Vietnam War was directly tied into to many of the show's storylines, given that this war was ongoing while much of the series was initially on.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 10-23-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (10-24-2020), OceanBlue (10-23-2020), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (10-24-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 03:22 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Some HFO S01 comments:

-It was interesting that the pilot featured a theme song that was slightly different than the final one. Also, the actor that played Danny in the pilot was not James MacArthur - but another actor (didn't recognize him). Glad they picked MacArthur to permanently play the role, since I thought the other actor - while OK - was somewhat bland.

-I am extremely amused that Gavin MacLeod played "Big Chicken" on the show - a seedy, smug drug dealer/scam artist. This role is so different from his portrayal of the easy going Captain Stubing on The Love Boat (1977-1986) - LOL.

-One of the best S01 episodes starts out with Danno chasing a perp (who has been breaking into cars) through the night-time streets. The perp pulls a weapon on him, and a short battle ensues. Shortly after, Danno chases him down to a seedy hotel room, and unintentionally kills the young criminal after firing through the lock on the door. Danno is very guilt stricken by this, but is still able to keep it together. The rest of the episode involves Danno and Five-0 having to track down the criminal's girlfriend, who left with the perp's weapon (which is the only thing that proves what Danno says about before fired upon).

IMHO the best part of the episode was when McGarret gave a guilty Danno a serious talk about what happened. I.e., McGarret told him that he should feel terrible every time he pulled his weapon, even if he didn't need to fire it. And, that it was very important he pulled it only when he felt he had to, etc. Very powerful monologue here, and I suspect it'll end up being one of the best of the series.

With so many unjustified and/or questionable homicides taking place these days, this type of episode is even more relevant today than when it came out 50+ years ago.

-Another very gripping episode is "King of the Hill". This involved a young soldier (Yaphet Kotto) on leave from Vietnam getting unintentionally hit in the head while playing a baseball game that Danno was overseeing. Danno takes him to the local hospital, and the soldier wakes up very disoriented & thinks he's back in the war. He wounds Danno & an LE officer, then barricades himself in a hospital room - all the while thinking he's back in battle. McGarett & co. have to rescue Danno with the minimum of damage to the soldier, so have to recreate the war to some extent by using helicopters, etc.

-A disturbing episode involved some young students getting involved with illegal drugs & in some cases dying as a result. H50 investigates, and tracks down the supplier of the drugs - a hippie college professor. Though the late '60's was before my time, I know that this era was when a lot of these dangerous/hallucinogenic drugs started becoming more popular - which obviously led to these types of deaths/brain damage/etc.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 10-23-2020 at 03:33 AM.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (10-24-2020), OceanBlue (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 03:25 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

More S01 episode reviews:

-"Once Upon a Time, Parts 1-2": McGarett investigates a "doctor" who is giving his sister & brother-in-law (who live in L.A.) false hope that she can cure their little baby of cancer.
[Show spoiler]McGarret & his brother-in-law justifiably feel the doctor is a charlatan, and McGarrett does a lot of research & talks to previous patients - in order to discredit her in court. Definitely two of the most powerful TV episodes I've ever seen, with a fantastic ending.

-"The Box": Excellent & gripping episode about a thief (Charlie Swanson) in a prison who is attacked by several fellow inmates, and in retaliation takes the inmates & the guards hostage. McGarrett gets involved, and lets himself be taken hostage in exchange for letting an injured man go, so he can be removed from the situation & get medical attention. Big Chicken also plays a key role in this episode.

I was impressed by the scene when Swanson demanded that his list of prison improvements/reform (for all prisoners) to be printed in the newspaper - as a prerequisite to his letting the hostages go. This really humanized the character to a great extent, and showed that he was thinking about more than just himself.

Side-note: This episode slightly reminded me of the excellent 2-part S03 episode of the underrated series "Midnight Caller" (1988-1991), "Life without Possibility" - where Jack Killian gets inadvertently involved in a prison riot.

-"Six Kilos": McGarrett goes undercover in order to uncover a plot involving a group that will be attempting to commit a heist; and, McGarrett has to "pretend" to be one of the criminals. Charlie Swanson is one of the criminals that McGarrett interacts with in this episode.

[Show spoiler]I liked the realistic touch of having a hotel security guard recognize McGarrett in one key scene when he was pretending to be someone else - thereby blowing his cover (temporarily).

What's especially interesting about S01's TB & SK (the last two episodes I discussed above) is the way they're presented on the DVD sets. Like most people would, I'm watching these in the correct disk order. However, the episode SK actually comes after TB on the set, even though it's chronologically set beforehand. I.e., the criminal/thief Charlie Swanson (the late Gerald S. O'Loughlin) is one of the bad guys that McGarret interacts with in SK. And, when McGarret is held hostage by him in TB you can tell that they know each other - but you don't know in what capacity.

I.e., obviously in SK Swanson realized McGarrett was undercover (at the end of the episode), was arrested & then taken to prison. And, in TB he's in prison & then when McGarrett offers himself up as a hostage, he remembers him from the recent encounter. I.e., the line at the very end of TB after Swanson has given himself up & McGarrett tells him "don't be a thief" (after Swanson complains about being in prison) makes a lot more sense after seeing SK.

I believe that, for whatever reason, SK was broadcast after TB when these episodes originally aired (and that's why it's in that order on the DVD sets).

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 11-03-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (10-24-2020), OceanBlue (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

AW, I was going to ask if you've watched the season one episodes (so far) with the episodic promos. Then I quickly realised the first season episodes don't have any episodic promos at all (this leads me to the DVD releases of the last three seasons). Seems strange CBS/Paramount didn't include them (perhaps there weren't any to begin with), as they included them for the majority of the episodes in the releases of the next eight seasons. These episodic promos, for a good while, had a narration by Jack Lord through most of the episodic promo. Then later on, when he became the unofficial showrunner, I noticed he only speaks at the beginning and end of them.

In the ninth season DVD set, a sixty second promo was included as well (they didn't have any narration at all, if I remember correctly).

The last three season DVD sets have the sixty second promos, but no episodic promos with Jack Lord narration. Whether it was because the first release of the tenth season wasn't remastered, I don't know. The remastered eleventh and twelfth seasons didn't have them.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (10-24-2020), cutback73 (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 10:15 AM   #6

Oct 2020

I too noticed the upcoming Mediumrare release of Season 8 in the UK. I have Seasons 1 to 6, didnt realise that Season 7 had been released - will have to look out for it, although I think all the original 7 seasons are OOP now.

I hope Season 8 sells well so that they can complete the Series. It's a reasonable price for a 6 disk set at £24.99.

Also, I wonder if they will re-release Seasons 1 to 7 in the UK since they are OOP. Maybe the plan is to release 8 to 12 and then release a full 12 season set, it would seem logical.

I am glad that some of the part released series are now being completed in the UK.

We were stuck on Season 1 of The Fugitive for years until we got the full season set, which I have and which is a decent set with good quality picture and sound (albeit in the big amaray cases). I think these are the same versions being shown on CBS Justice channel currently here in the UK?

I enjoyed their runs of original Perry Mason although they've never shown Season 5 which is bizarre! They went Season 6 and 7, 8 and 9, 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and now back to 6 and 7 on CBS Drama!

Talking of incomplete UK DVD sets, can someone please release Seasons 3 to 5 of Streets of San Francisco here in the UK next...!

Anyway, back on topic, with Season 8 releasing I'm going to rewatch the series from the beginning. Some of the season 1 episodes (and some of the local actors acting) are quite poor as they learnt their way, but there are some crackers too as mentioned by Anamorphic Widescreen above
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (10-27-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

One of my favorite S02 episodes is "A B. for McGarrett". A college professor is a secret enemy agent, and is hypnotizing female students & coercing them to commit crimes. A female police officer goes undercover as a student at the college, under McGarrett's direction. Though, she is not strong enough to resist the hypnotic powers of the professor.

[Show spoiler]Disturbing episode, especially given that the undercover officer almost kills McGarrett.

Some general comments about HFO:

-Interesting & odd that some of the Asian characters were played by non-asian actors. In S01, the most notable example was the late Ricardo Montalban playing a corrupt businessman. The make-up wasn't that convincing, however. And, there is no way this type of thing would fly today

-Each of the S01-S02 episodes (on the DVD sets) runs roughly 48-50 minutes (with all the commercials edited out). This just shows how fewer commercials there were during this era. These days, a regular hour-long network show will generally run around 40-41/42 minute without commercials.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (10-25-2020), OceanBlue (10-27-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #8

Oct 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
One of my favorite S02 episodes is "A B. for McGarrett". A college professor is a secret enemy agent, and is hypnotizing female students & coercing them to commit crimes. A female police officer goes undercover as a student at the college, under McGarrett's direction. Though, she is not strong enough to resist the hypnotic powers of the professor.

[Show spoiler]Disturbing episode, especially given that the undercover officer almost kills McGarrett.

Some general comments about HFO:

-Interesting & odd that some of the Asian characters were played by non-asian actors. In S01, the most notable example was the late Ricardo Montalban playing a corrupt businessman. The make-up wasn't that convincing, however. And, there is no way this type of thing would fly today

-Each of the S01-S02 episodes (on the DVD sets) runs roughly 48-50 minutes (with all the commercials edited out). This just shows how fewer commercials there were during this era. These days, a regular hour-long network show will generally run around 40-41/42 minute without commercials.
Yes, there are a number of Asian characters portrayed by non-Asians. I personally find these episodes difficult to watch now, the characters tend to be massive caricatures which doesnt help.

Funny you mention Ricardo Montalban, who is of course probably most famous now for portraying an Indian name Khan. Strange that he hardly ever seems to appear as a Mexican...
Old 10-27-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Has anyone here heard of a short-lived series which actor Khigh Dhiegh starred in called Khan!? Sounds to me like a very obscure series, and I wonder if there are rights issues with it, or if the original elements are lost. It originally aired in the States during the time Khigh Dheigh did his occasional (recurring) guest star appearances on Hawaii Five-O as McGarrett's nemesis Wo Fat.

Based on EpGuides, the show originally aired in the States during the same season as the seventh season of Hawaii Five-O.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:51 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutback73 View Post
I too noticed the upcoming Mediumrare release of Season 8 in the UK. I have Seasons 1 to 6, didnt realise that Season 7 had been released - will have to look out for it, although I think all the original 7 seasons are OOP now.

I hope Season 8 sells well so that they can complete the Series. It's a reasonable price for a 6 disk set at £24.99.

Also, I wonder if they will re-release Seasons 1 to 7 in the UK since they are OOP. Maybe the plan is to release 8 to 12 and then release a full 12 season set, it would seem logical.

I am glad that some of the part released series are now being completed in the UK.

We were stuck on Season 1 of The Fugitive for years until we got the full season set, which I have and which is a decent set with good quality picture and sound (albeit in the big amaray cases). I think these are the same versions being shown on CBS Justice channel currently here in the UK?

I enjoyed their runs of original Perry Mason although they've never shown Season 5 which is bizarre! They went Season 6 and 7, 8 and 9, 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and now back to 6 and 7 on CBS Drama!

Talking of incomplete UK DVD sets, can someone please release Seasons 3 to 5 of Streets of San Francisco here in the UK next...!

Anyway, back on topic, with Season 8 releasing I'm going to rewatch the series from the beginning. Some of the season 1 episodes (and some of the local actors acting) are quite poor as they learnt their way, but there are some crackers too as mentioned by Anamorphic Widescreen above
I've noticed the series The Fugitive is being repeated in the early hours of the morning on one of the CBS channels, along with the original Mission: Impossible and Walker, Texas Ranger. I know there was a music clearance issue at one point with The Fugitive. I don't know if the UK release has the original music.

There is a German Blu-ray release of The Streets of San Francisco in the works (from Koch Media).

Back on topic, and I remember Mediumrare releasing more than one season of Law & Order: SVU on physical media DVD at the same time (years after the series stalled (Universal had released the series up to that point). So I'm hoping they do the same with the original Hawaii Five-O. My one question about Mediumrare's release - will they be using the same 'transferred to HD/remastered' masters which CBS/Paramount used on their release in the States?

My question about the UK release of the eighth season of Hawaii Five-O leads to my next question - if, IF, the release sells well and they eventually get to the tenth season, will they use the same 'transferred to HD/remastered' masters which CBS/Paramount used in their complete series DVD release in the States? The earlier, separate release was not remastered.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (10-28-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #11
Power Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Has anyone here heard of a short-lived series which actor Khigh Dhiegh starred in called Khan!? Sounds to me like a very obscure series, and I wonder if there are rights issues with it, or if the original elements are lost. It originally aired in the States during the time Khigh Dheigh did his occasional (recurring) guest star appearances on Hawaii Five-O as McGarrett's nemesis Wo Fat.

Based on EpGuides, the show originally aired in the States during the same season as the seventh season of Hawaii Five-O.
There are no legal issues with Khan. It was merely made and forgotten, like many other 60's, 70's, and 80's shows were. You aren't likely to ever see it unless CBS pulls out the surviving film materials and remasters them for streaming and it is unlikely that they will do that. So little is known about the series that it really is a mystery, as it only went four episodes on air, with whatever else was shot and finished gone into the dustbin of TV history.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:38 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
More S01 episode reviews:

-"The Box": Excellent & gripping episode about a thief (Charlie Swanson) in a prison who is attacked by several fellow inmates, and in retaliation takes the inmates & the guards hostage. McGarrett gets involved, and lets himself be taken hostage in exchange for letting an injured man go, so he can be removed from the situation & get medical attention. Big Chicken also plays a key role in this episode.

I was impressed by the scene when Swanson demanded that his list of prison improvements/reform (for all prisoners) to be printed in the newspaper - as a prerequisite to his letting the hostages go. This really humanized the character to a great extent, and showed that he was thinking about more than just himself.

Side-note: This episode slightly reminded me of the excellent 2-part S03 episode of the underrated series "Midnight Caller" (1988-1991), "Life without Possibility" - where Jack Killian gets inadvertently involved in a prison riot.

-"Six Kilos": McGarrett goes undercover in order to uncover a plot involving a group that will be attempting to commit a heist; and, McGarrett has to "pretend" to be one of the criminals. Charlie Swanson is one of the criminals that McGarrett interacts with in this episode.

[Show spoiler]I liked the realistic touch of having a hotel security guard recognize McGarrett in one key scene when he was pretending to be someone else - thereby blowing his cover (temporarily).

What's especially interesting about S01's TB & SK (the last two episodes I discussed above) is the way they're presented on the DVD sets. Like most people would, I'm watching these in the correct disk order. However, the episode SK actually comes after TB on the set, even though it's chronologically set beforehand. I.e., the criminal/thief Charlie Swanson (the late Gerald S. O'Loughlin) is one of the bad guys that McGarret interacts with in SK. And, when McGarret is held hostage by him in TB you can tell that they know each other - but you don't know in what capacity.

I.e., obviously in SK Swanson realized McGarrett was undercover (at the end of the episode), was arrested & then taken to prison. And, in TB he's in prison & then when McGarrett offers himself up as a hostage, he remembers him from the recent encounter. I.e., the line at the very end of TB after Swanson has given himself up & McGarrett tells him "don't be a thief" (after Swanson complains about being in prison) makes a lot more sense after seeing SK.

I believe that, for whatever reason, SK wass been broadcast after TB when these episodes originally aired (and that's why it's in that order on the DVD sets).
I checked EpGuides last week to see when the first season episodes "The Box" and "Six Kilos" originally aired in the States. "The Box" aired in late January 1969 and "Six Kilos" aired in March 1969 (it was the penultimate episode of the opening season).
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Have fond memories of watching the openers to the eighth and ninth seasons, back when channel Granada Plus was still on the air (there was plenty of variety on that channel). "Murder - Eyes Only" and "Nine Dragons" respectively were shown in ther original feature-length versions, and not as two-parters, during the Christmas holidays a long time ago.

Regarding "Nine Dragons", I think there are two versions of where the title sequence was seen in the episode. The version I saw on Granada Plus had the title sequence something like ten to fifteen minutes into the episode.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutback73 View Post

I was hoping HMV might price-match Amazon UK's pre-order price for Hawaii Five-O: The Eighth Season. HMV's pre-order price has been £29.99.

Recently, the pre-order listing pages on Amazon UK and HMV have been updated with what I think is the final front cover artwork. It looks like there may be a slipcover or slipcase over the same type of DVD case which has been used on the separate season sets in the States. The description of the title on HMV's pre-order listing page was also updated last week (it mentions twenty-three episodes, so that means the season opener will be the feature-length version).
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (12-01-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Decided to get Mediumrare's release of the original show's eighth season, as I thought I'd lost my copy of the boxset (along with my copies of the remaining four seasons, the CBS releases). However, since then I've found my copies of the last five seasons.

However, if Mediumrare get as far as the tenth season, and it has the remastered episodes which were in CBS's complete series set, then I'll get that.
Thanks given by:
cutback73 (12-10-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies