Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
1 day ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

Half Brothers (DVD)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 12-15-2020, 01:25 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Baywatch Seasopn 2 Autralian 2013 version release, 4 of 6 discs have weird cloudy areas and circular cloudy spots all over, none of them even are recognized by any player. Discs bad right out of the cellophane from Amazon.
Thanks given by:
Cheese (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 02:10 AM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
This is my copy of The Love Bug on DVD from the Disney Herbie 4-Movie Collection.

I watched the movie and it played fine, but I'm concerned as none of my other DVDs look like this.
Maybe get it on Laserdisc...
Old 12-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #43
Power Member

Jul 2010
Coventry, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
A Blu-ray?!

I've backed up terabytes of DVDs and a few BDs for convenience (took a lot of time and patience), but I never thought a BD would actually got because it's still somewhat new technology.
Whatever you do, don't read this thread... https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=249210

Discs are starting to fail already. A small drop in the ocean for now but some of these are only 9-10 years old.

I've started backing up my BD's, especially anything oop and those I imported at high cost.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-15-2020), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (12-16-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
Whatever you do, don't read this thread... https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=249210

Discs are starting to fail already. A small drop in the ocean for now but some of these are only 9-10 years old.

I've started backing up my BD's, especially anything oop and those I imported at high cost.
This certainly doesn't help physical media at all. What's the point of buying it if it'll become unusable in 5-10 years time?

Personally, I don't like digital media, but buying physical media that only lasts about a decade isn't really worth it. Most of the discs I have I watched like once and that was it.

Anyway, I recently bought two boxsets of John Wayne movies so hopefully all is fine (no rotting) and then sell them. I just don't trust physical media as much as I used to.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (12-15-2020), Tylerfan (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #45

Jul 2016

The above picture by vwnut13 is not disc rot (he even states it has no affect on playback). Have to clarify this or everyone with some kind of wavy pattern on their discs is going to think they have disc rot.
Thanks given by:
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (12-16-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2019
Schitt's Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post

"only"? I'm trying to think of things I've had to re-buy in the past 10 years. Clothing, shoes, microwave, car, couch, bed...and these all cost far more than a Blu-ray. It would be awesome if these discs lasted forever but it's just not realistic.
Thanks given by:
whatsgood (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
"only"? I'm trying to think of things I've had to re-buy in the past 10 years. Clothing, shoes, microwave, car, couch, bed...and these all cost far more than a Blu-ray. It would be awesome if these discs lasted forever but it's just not realistic.
Those are for daily use (and even essential) whereas BDs, DVDs, CDs and games are a hobby and for collecting so it's normal people expect it to last a lot longer.

For example, SEGA Genesis and Nintendo NES consoles still work to this day and they're over 30+ years old.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post

For example, SEGA Genesis and Nintendo NES consoles still work to this day and they're over 30+ years old.
Yes, but how many failed over those 30+ years? An awful lot I guess. So I don't think it's panic stations yet as a point of comparison.

I still think the failure rate of pressed media is tiny compared to burnt media where I've had a fair accumulation of failed discs. The cloudy/sticky disc thing is what I've found more often with pressed DVDs, but that it washes off in each instance I've found. Thankfully that seems to be a reaction occurring on the surface of the outer layer, and not the data layer at all.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori View Post
The above picture by vwnut13 is not disc rot (he even states it has no affect on playback). Have to clarify this or everyone with some kind of wavy pattern on their discs is going to think they have disc rot.
That is correct. I have many DVD's which have this wavy pattern and were like that from new - in many cases going right back to the early days of DVD. Most of them happen to be Sony manufactured discs (perhaps a coincidence), but I can tell you that even after 20 years or so, they still play perfectly and have shown no sign of deterioration or rot.
Thanks given by:
Nori (12-15-2020), OceanBlue (12-15-2020), ps3bd_owner (12-15-2020)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:21 AM   #50
Expert Member

Aug 2009

but I' looking for some examples of visible forms of dvd rot that people have had,, different forms. I'm tryng to build a picture of potential issues.

I've only encountered it twice before, firstly with a known batch of bad SIlence of the Lambs dvds that were replaced by mgm, and that took the 'traditional' form of going a kind of blotchy white milky colour, and a box set in which a few of the discs went partially black.

But I seem to have discovered a more or less invisible form of dvd rot today. I tried to watch my Shriek Show dvd of Demons 3 for the first time in years, and it locked up about half way trhough. I found that I could watch the last two chapters, but nothing in between. Looking at the disc, there was an extremely faint discoloured arc in the disc, but other than that it looked fine.
The only other notcieable thing was a kind of greying that appeared to be extending out from the centre hole, but that got nowhere near the playing part of the disc.
I found that my Shirek Show DVD of Faceless had the same thing around the centre hole. I tried that, and found that it froze at chapter 4, then skipped onto chapter 5. Other than this centre hole greying, the disc looked fine. Not a visible discolouration anywhere on the playing part.
Has anybody encountered this before? A kind of disc rot where it's invisible? I have to assume that it's some kind of blanket problem that's spread through the disc, but is somehow not noticeable. It's extremely frustrating.

I decided to check a few of my old discs and came across something common in them, especially with Anchor Bay dvds. Both single layer and dual layer were affected. And that was a discolouration pattern, almost like a puddle, along the lines of what's in the OP's post, albeit a more distinctive. I'm aware that these things are sometimes inherent to dvds at manufacture, the very first dvd i ever bought had/has one. I ran them all through, skipping a fw chapters and they all played fine. I wouldn't usually be bothered about these patterns as I know they can be made with them, but why it has bothered me is that I'm pretty sure that they didn't used to have them originally, and have formed on the discs over time. I'm not sure if that's something to worry about? Maybe it just looks similar to the manufactured patches, but isn't.

Anyway, check your Media Blasters dvds if you have any.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies