Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Best of Warner Bros 20 Film Collection: Best Pictures (DVD)
$19.96
13 min ago
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (DVD)
$7.59
8 hrs ago
Country Music (DVD)
$38.00

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96

The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99

Half Brothers (DVD)
$17.99

Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 11-17-2020, 01:03 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Three's Company, The Ropers and Three's a Crowd

Haven't selected a flag icon as there have been physical media DVD releases of Three's Company in the States and Germany.

Based on EpGuides, it had a spin-off series called The Ropers, and a follow-up series called Three's a Crowd.

Based on Three's Company's IMDb company credits page, Anchor Bay released season sets in the States. There was also a complete series set with several extras (but that, based on the price, is out-of-print). It's also had DVD releases in Germany, but some of those look to be out-of-print also.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:53 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Threes Company is my favorite sitcom, and I don't care what anyone thinks. Anchor Bay did release the entire series on DVD (both in season sets and a complete series set), and Lionsgate handled their releases following their purchase, but the show is actually owned by DH Taffner's company, and it's very likely that the license expired. Hopefully someone else (Shout Factory? Mill Creek?) will rescue it, although the show unfortunately just isn't as popular or visible as it still was 20+ years ago, so I'm not sure how much of a market there is for it. The entire series is streaming for free on PlutoTV though, and IFC still plays reruns (I've seen it on Logo too semi-recently).

The Ropers and Threes a Crowd spinoffs were never released on DVD. I remember reading an article on TVShowsOnDVD.com from over 15 years ago that mentioned DH Taffer had no plans to release them due to low sales potential (even in the height of the DVD era). The only hope for them I could see would be for Shout Factory to include them in a hypothetical complete series reissue, much like their Saved by the Bell set including "Good Morning Miss Bliss." Combined, they're 50 episodes of content, so it might be a tall order, and the demand for them is exclusively limited to hardcore completists of this show.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-19-2020), panasonicst60 (11-17-2020), tonylopez (11-20-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:25 AM   #3
Special Member

Mar 2011

There is a song they would have to clear in the S2 Ropers crossover episode (forgot what song, maybe sister sledge, had to do with a surprise party for Helen) which is in the syndicated Three's Company package, but not in the dvd set. I wish the Ropers would get released, love Patty McCormack.. the 3's Co dvds are not remastered and look pretty bad. Shout hasn't remastered (to my knowledge) any of their classic dvd sitcom releases, so really wouldn't want a release from them...
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-19-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
There is a song they would have to clear in the S2 Ropers crossover episode (forgot what song, maybe sister sledge, had to do with a surprise party for Helen) which is in the syndicated Three's Company package, but not in the dvd set. I wish the Ropers would get released, love Patty McCormack.. the 3's Co dvds are not remastered and look pretty bad. Shout hasn't remastered (to my knowledge) any of their classic dvd sitcom releases, so really wouldn't want a release from them...
Threes Company (along with both spinoffs I believe) was an early show shot on videotape, so there’s not much anyone can do to make it look any better.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-19-2020), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (11-19-2020), yanksno1 (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Special Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
Threes Company (along with both spinoffs I believe) was an early show shot on videotape, so thereís not much anyone can do to make it look any better.
All I know is the 20th Century Fox release of WKRP S1 (shot on videotape) looks a LOT better than the Shout version, albeit music edits.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-19-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #6

Jul 2012

I would love if they released The Ropers on dvd as well as the follow up to the Golden Girls. The Golden Palace but in all honesty with the way the state of Physical media is going I do not thinks this will ever happen very sad but true
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-19-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #7

Oct 2010
New England

AfterM*A*S*H anyone?
Thanks given by:
hasslein (11-18-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
so I'm not sure how much of a market there is for it.
If the after-market is any indication, it would seem like it would be worth a re-release for someone. The complete series on DVD (either individual seasons or the box set) goes for $275+.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #9

Sep 2020
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb1428 View Post
I would love if they released The Ropers on dvd as well as the follow up to the Golden Girls. The Golden Palace but in all honesty with the way the state of Physical media is going I do not thinks this will ever happen very sad but true
The Golden Palace MIA really surprises me though, considering how popular Golden Girls is nowadays. There's tons of merch out and the DVDs are still being manufactured so people are still buying them. Maybe there are some rights issues or something?
Old 11-18-2020, 02:13 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
If the after-market is any indication, it would seem like it would be worth a re-release for someone. The complete series on DVD (either individual seasons or the box set) goes for $275+.
I could MAYBE see Threes Company back on DVD one day from a boutique label, but I highly doubt The Ropers or Threes a Crowd will ever see physical media unless maybe they’re packaged with a TC reissue. Even TC’s original season sets don’t go for that much on the secondhand market. It’s mostly the complete series set that’s been hit by the scalpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmo View Post
The Golden Palace MIA really surprises me though, considering how popular Golden Girls is nowadays. There's tons of merch out and the DVDs are still being manufactured so people are still buying them. Maybe there are some rights issues or something?
It’s Disney. They’ll find any excuse not to release something on physical. They probably don’t think it would sell well since it’s technically not The Golden Girls. Again, I could only see that coming out as a glorified extra on a complete series set.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (11-19-2020), Spasmo (11-18-2020), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Three's Company (1977-1984) was a great & iconic sitcom. I see this as much of a '70's comedy as an '80's one, since four of the eight seasons came out in the '80's. Very clever & funny series, and much of the humor was based on misunderstandings & innuendos - LOL. The show depicted a "swinging" & somewhat care-free, sunny California lifestyle that was definitely a product of it's time.

I didn't see much of the show when it was originally on, but caught it later in re-runs in the latter '80's & early '90's. The female roommates were all great, but my favorite was the tall, statuesque Cindy (Jenilee Harrison). Though she wasn't in that many episodes, I thought she was the most attractive of all the lead female characters - the others being Janet, Chrissi, and Terri.

Though Mr. & Mrs. Roper (the original landords) were mildly funny at times, my favorite landlord was the cheapskate Mr. Furley, played by the late Don Knotts - he was the one that came after The Ropers' left the show. This is quite possibly Knotts' best role; the character was both pathetic & funny - LOL. He thought of himself as a ladies man, but was in fact the exact opposite. His ugly leisure suits & obvious rug were hilarious; I cracked up just looking at him - LOL.

Also very memorable was the sultry neighbor Lana Shields (played by the late Anne Wedgeworth).

I can't see a show like this being released & becoming that popular today. For one thing, very few viewers these days would believe that a landlord would get upset/give a damn that a single man & two single women are all roommates.

Re: the two spin-offs:

The Ropers (1979-1980): This show focused on the Ropers, after they sold their apartment building & moved to another community in CA. I found the show below average, and IIRC only saw one episode (probably a re-run). Though these two were amusing as supporting characters in TC, giving them their own show was a stretch.

Three's a Crowd (1984-1985): This took place after the events seen in TC, and depicted Jack Tripper living with his new gf - while managing/cooking in a popular restaurant. However, they were being constantly bothered by the gf's father - hence the "Three's a Crowd" title. I thought the show was just OK - and only caught a handful of episodes when it originally aired. I honestly didn't find it that funny, and so never kept up with this.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 12-18-2020 at 03:37 AM.
Thanks given by:
hasslein (11-20-2020), OceanBlue (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

whoa!

man was looking into getting this and it's looking to be OOP, insane prices like $600+
sure hope they give this another print run, if not maybe can find it at some library....
Old 11-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
Even TCís original season sets donít go for that much on the secondhand market.
I dunno, other than for the first season, the prices all look terrible for the other individual seasons too, not quite as bad as the complete sets, but pretty bad, many are not that much less (if not even more) than it looks like the entire set used to sell for.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:43 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW View Post
I dunno, other than for the first season, the prices all look terrible for the other individual seasons too, not quite as bad as the complete sets, but pretty bad, many are not that much less (if not even more) than it looks like the entire set used to sell for.
I just peeked a bit at eBay listings, and you can find used copies of Season 3 for like $20, which isnít terrible. Iíd still probably hold out on a reissue though, but I canít see anyone other than Mill Creek or Shout Factory picking it up.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:13 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

Quote:
I just peeked a bit at eBay listings, and you can find used copies of Season 3 for like $20, which isnít terrible. Iíd still probably hold out on a reissue though, but I canít see anyone other than Mill Creek or Shout Factory picking it up.
yeah wait a bit, check libraries once covid is over, or also just noticed a sub-channel for WPIX CW 11 seems to be showing it a couple times a day, not the best quality, but maybe can end up recording it all off that (perhaps edited for syndication though?)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:42 AM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2011

Here are some screen grabs I posted on HTF years ago showing the difference between the Fox and Shout release of WKRP... Fox (which was released years earlier on top, Shout on bottom.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #17

Jan 2009
Montrťal, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb1428 View Post
Wow, I had no idea there was a Golden Girls spin-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
Wait, the Three's Company DVDs are out-of-print?!? Since when? Boy I'm so glad I own all the seasons.

Last edited by Canuck21; 11-20-2020 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
Wait, the Three's Company DVDs are out-of-print?!? Since when? Boy I'm so glad I own all the seasons.
Yeah, they have been for awhile. Both the complete series set as well as the individual seasons are really pricey now. Really hoping someone comes along and does a reissue.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:59 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Due in large part to this thread (I know I say that a lot - ha ha), I finally started watching Three's Company on the DVD set. I've only seen the first season so far. This is my first time watching the show in about 30 years.

My review:

The PQ is below average, but still probably slightly better than a VHS rip; and, I've seen worse PQ on TV shows (on DVD) from this era. I suspect the problem(s) lie with the limitations of the original prints/source material.

This 1st season is short, and only has 6 episodes. The reason for this was that it originally aired in Spring 1977, which was late in the TV season.

The show itself is great & laugh-out loud funny. It's very clever & well-written, with amusing characters & storylines. That being said, due to the content there is NO WAY a show like this would fly today.

I liked how Jack Tripper's becoming a new room-mate of Chrissy & Janet was organically done, and not just shoe-horned in as an unrealistic plot device. I.e., their 3rd room-mate had recently left due to her being pregnant & planning to get married. And, the morning after the 3rd room-mate's going away party, Jack was found asleep in the bath-tub (presumably because he was drunk) - ha ha. Jack's clothes were wet, so while they dried he stuck around & decided to cook everyone breakfast. After the ladies quickly realized he was an excellent cook & because they needed a 3rd person to help with the rent, they decided to choose him as the 3rd new room-mate.

The Ropers were funnier than I remember them being. All of their dialogue is great. One of their most humorous exchanges was early on, when Jack was trying to convince the Ropers that he would be a good choice for a room-mate - and that there would be no hanky-panky between him & the two women:

Jack Tripper: "It would be strictly platonic."
Mr. Roper: "What does that mean?"
Mrs. Roper: "Just like you and me, Stanley." - LOL

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 12-18-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Thanks given by:
hasslein (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 02:13 AM   #20
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Due in large part to this thread (I know I say that a lot - ha ha), I finally started watching Three's Company on the DVD set. I've only seen the first season so far. This is my first time watching the show in about 30 years.

My review:

The PQ is below average, but still probably slightly better than a VHS rip; and, I've seen worse PQ on TV shows (on DVD) from this era. I suspect the problem(s) lie with the limitations of the original prints/source material.

This 1st season is short, and only has 6 episodes. The reason for this was that it originally aired in Spring 1977, which was late in the TV season.
The S1 DVDs were pushed out quickly and bare bones in the wake of John Ritter's death. There were going to be bonus features and all, since it was only a 6 episode season, but strike while the iron's hot, you know?

I believe they made up for it with the features on future seasons.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies