Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96

Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
21 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99
1 day ago
The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99
1 day ago
Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.: The Complete Series (DVD)
$9.96

3rd Rock from the Sun: The Complete Series (DVD)
$17.96

God's Not Dead: 3-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-06-2021, 11:58 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default The Invaders (Roy Thinnes-starring TV series)

Haven't selected a flag icon for this thread, as there have been physical media DVD releases of the two season TV series The Invaders in more than one country.

Planning on starting a rewatch of this sci-fi/thriller drama series soon. I know opinions are sort of divided on the latter part of the second (and final) season, but it's still one of my favourite TV series.

Decided to get the Quinn Martin: Volume 3, CD score album last year, about The Invaders (released by La La Land Records). Need to get a replacement two-disc CD case for it, as there is a crack on the front of the case.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (02-25-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 06:19 AM   #2

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

I got this last year, only watched the first season so far.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Special Member

Mar 2011

I liked the Gene Hackman episode...
Old 01-11-2021, 11:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK
Default Pilot episode "Beachhead"

Watched his past weekend, the extended version of the series' pilot episode "Beachhead". There was around ten minutes of extra footage, but it didn't drag too much. I quite enjoyed this rewatch, and noticed details in it which I didn't spot when I first watched The Invaders (both when BBC Two repeated it a long time ago, and from first watching my copy of the American DVD release of the first season).

I think the different ending (which Roy Thinnes refers to in his introduction) was the different end credits.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 01-18-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Old 02-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Am currently on the second disc in the first season DVD set. In the past week, have watched up to the episode "Genesis". Next up is an episode which Jack Lord guest stars in (it originally aired in the States the year before Hawaii Five-O started).

As a whole, I've enjoyed the episodes following "Beachhead". I wouldn't say I agree with the negative IMDb user review of "Genesis", but I wouldn't say it was awful either. One of it's highlights was the debut appearance of the device the Invaders use to hypnotise humans.

Love the show's music score with that ominous theme (the title sequence is a classic).
Thanks given by:
Old 02-25-2021, 02:38 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Recently started watching The Invaders for the first time on the DVD set(s). I'm currently on the first season, and have finished the third DVD.

Excellent show! The storyline is great; Architect David Vincent notices a UFO late one night in a deserted field, and realizes that the Earth is being invaded. He then tries to warn people about this, but very few believe him. Vincent has a new adventure each week as he travels across the U.S. & seeks to blow the lid off the alien invasion. His goal is to expose them for beings who are trying to take over the Earth & stop them for good.

I liked how the aliens who masquerade/disguise themselves as humans are only distinguishable when looking at their hands/fingers - a difference that is difficult to pinpoint/detect. When the aliens die, a red "flash" appears & the aliens disappear/disintegrate, though they sometimes leave ash behind (but not always).

The special effects are minimal - but, this is completely understandable given the era when this was released. The show's writing, acting/casting, and fantastic musical score are all top-notch. The series is sometimes described as a cross between the iconic sci-fi film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and The Fugitive TV series. However, though there are elements of both of these - I find The Invaders singularly unique & gripping.

Really impressed by the PQ in this DVD set - overall, it's excellent. It's on par with the Hawaii Five O & The Streets of San Francisco DVD sets. I.e., very crisp & clear remastered picture (for the most part), with good color, etc.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 02-25-2021 at 02:45 AM.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 02:44 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

One of the best S01 episodes (so far) is The Ivy Curtain. It features Jack Warden as gruff pilot Barney Cahill. The pilot is offered a lot of money by the aliens in order to transport new-comers to a New Mexico college which is a "front". It is actually a place that is indoctrinating the aliens on how to infiltrate human society, etc. David Vincent tries to convince Cahill that his actions are furthering the spread of the alien invasion, but Vincent's pleas initially fall on deaf ears - due to Cahill seemingly only being interested in how much $ he's making from the operation.

[Show spoiler]Finally, Vincent gets through to Cahill...and, as the pilot is transporting the aliens to the school - he suddenly intentionally crashes the plane into the main college building, resulting in the death of everyone aboard - and also presumably some of the top aliens on the ground. Very dark episode, with a shocking ending.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #8

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

I started watching season 2 a few days ago... just finished "The Believers".

Im looking forward to seeing how the season/series ends, but Im not getting my hopes up for a conclusion to the storyline since it only was 2 seasons. Im assuming it was one of the many series that sadly gets cancelled without a chance to wrap everything up.
Thanks given by:
OceanBlue (02-25-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies