Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99
1 day ago
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.: The Complete Series (DVD)
$9.96

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

Half Brothers (DVD)
$17.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Best of Warner Bros. 20 Film Collection Romance (DVD)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
Onward (DVD)
$10.00

Spartacus: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$22.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #161
Power Member

Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Unlike your Ground Zero format extermination policy, they still had choice for other brands. That's very different from eliminating every single DVD product in the world and forcibly re-educating consumers to your preferred format. Your analogy would actually be that if every soft drink were eliminated as you wish DVD were, people would have no choice but to drink New Coke, even if they didn't want it. Which would not have worked.

When deprived of choice, customers not only refused to adopt the new flavor the conglomerate tried to force on them, they actively lobbied for it to be stopped altogether and sought out surviving stocks of the original: you had to pry the existing classic Coke stock from their cold dead hands, that's how emotive the issue became. Conglomerates stopping manufacturing one of the most successful consumer products ever and forcing a mass market to buy a much more expensive option that still has less choice of titles (and kinds of titles) available would have been a catastrophe.

The market - consumers - decide. Had Coke introduced New Coke as an addition to the range rather than a replacement they would have avoided customer ill will and rebellion (and yes, it became a huge issue in its day because it was an evil corporation taking away a product that people liked) and it may have taken off. Instead, the very act of removing choice and leaving consumers no option led to people refusing to even try it and violently opposing it - and, ironically, ultimately resulted in an increase in sales of classic Coke. Trying the same stunt with DVD would have quite possibly damaged the BD format even more because people would just dig their heels in and refuse to even try it until the conglomerates reversed their decision, and even then it would leave such a bitter taste in the craw that many would make a point of not upgrading. It would turn what was being marketed as a Rolls Royce into something the public saw as an Edsel.

Laser Disc was not a 'bad tasting' version of VHS, but the mass market never adopted it.
ref 'Laser Disc was not a 'bad tasting' version of VHS, but the mass market never adopted it.' Laser Disc was a visible improvement over VHS, I owned one. Other things including the limited number of titles and cost of titles available did not help
Old 01-04-2021, 11:39 PM   #162

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
ref 'Laser Disc was not a 'bad tasting' version of VHS, but the mass market never adopted it.' Laser Disc was a visible improvement over VHS, I owned one. Other things including the limited number of titles and cost of titles available did not help
Laser Disc didn't catch on for a number of reasons. In the 1980s and early-mid 1990s, the VHS format was still relatively new and expensive so switching formats was a big financial decision.

-this era was also a time of economic recession

-the format reminded people more of records (as opposed to CDs), which were quickly phased-out of the retail market by the early 1990s.

-the format was never adopted by most of the major rental outlets. Again, their size made displaying them difficult, they scratched quite easily.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:07 AM   #163
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
LD was the videophile's choice of formats during the VHS Era. It was never going to be a mass market product because:

1. It didn't record like VHS did.
2. It had side breaks
3. It was expensive
4. It was not readily available in video rental stores like Blockbuster.

But it did prove one thing. That a niche home video format can survive and thrive. Just like 4K UHD Blu-ray is today.
Thanks given by:
Froggy0705 (01-05-2021), Skylath (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 03:59 AM   #164
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
LD was the videophile's choice of formats during the VHS Era. It was never going to be a mass market product because:

1. It didn't record like VHS did.
2. It had side breaks
3. It was expensive
4. It was not readily available in video rental stores like Blockbuster.

But it did prove one thing. That a niche home video format can survive and thrive. Just like 4K UHD Blu-ray is today.
Or for purchase in Wal Mart/K-Mart (K-Mart was nearly equally as popular in the area, especially in the early to mid 90s). I'd never been to a Best Buy or Target growing up since there wasn't one anywhere nearby - not sure if they carried LDs in the 90s or earlier. The only store I can recall selling LDs was a Camelot Music and that was a small clearance section. Don't remember if they were regularly carried in the store or not. Also don't ever recall seeing any D-VHS tapes in a store in the early 2000s.

Last edited by meremortal; 01-05-2021 at 04:07 AM.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 04:13 AM   #165
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

I went to Tower Records and a specialty high end audio/video store - both in New York City. I worked in the city so it was convenient for me. Strictly sales, no rentals.

Years later I discovered Laserland in Carle Place, Long Island where they sold and rented LDs. I never rented because it was a drive from Lynbrook and it was a per day rental.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:06 AM   #166
Expert Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
I went to Tower Records and a specialty high end audio/video store - both in New York City. I worked in the city so it was convenient for me. Strictly sales, no rentals.

Years later I discovered Laserland in Carle Place, Long Island where they sold and rented LDs. I never rented because it was a drive from Lynbrook and it was a per day rental.
Yes, Tower Records was the main place I went for rental and purchases of VHS. They also had a decent section of Laser Disks for purchase. I do not recall BestBuy Superstores dominating VHS sales until a few years later.

I recall a person on another site claiming serious movie collecting didn't start until DVD. That VHS was mainly for rental only. However, many of us from that time were heavily involved in collecting VHS tapes. The only difference was that VHS collecting was primarily catalogue titles. Due to the rental side, it took much longer for new releases to be released for sale on VHS (other than as used from rental stores). Batman was an exception.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #167
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012
England
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
Yes, Tower Records was the main place I went for rental and purchases of VHS. They also had a decent section of Laser Disks for purchase. I do not recall BestBuy Superstores dominating VHS sales until a few years later.

I recall a person on another site claiming serious movie collecting didn't start until DVD. That VHS was mainly for rental only. However, many of us from that time were heavily involved in collecting VHS tapes. The only difference was that VHS collecting was primarily catalogue titles. Due to the rental side, it took much longer for new releases to be released for sale on VHS (other than as used from rental stores). Batman was an exception.
VHS was my first gateway in collecting films. I would get a few for my Birthday then a pile for Christmas. If there was a film that I could not wait for like Twister I would save up and get a ex-Rental copy before it would be released I really do miss the days of Blockbuster Video. As for DVD I got more DVD,s for Christmas this year. Classic Doctor Who so no I would like DVD to stick around.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #168

Jan 2021
Finland

At least here in Northern Europe we have many pretty good TV-series that are available on DVD and more will come each year. However, none of these is available on Blu-ray simply due to higher manufacturing cost . If DVD would be discontinued that would mean a lot less titles to choose from and thus only mainstream would remain.
Thanks given by:
cicada88 (02-14-2021), Froggy0705 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #169

Dec 2020

the price is too good to miss. when infinity war and endgame hit home media every best buy and walmart around me sold out of the dvds. I mostly buy bluray but it seems like most people will grab the dvd version. my dad has way more dvds then blu-ray. For what I've seen it seems like 4k and bluray still sell but the dvd's fly of the selves.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:31 PM   #170

Sep 2020
England

I buy both, but it would be a shame to lose DVDs, as a lot of films and TV shows maybe wouldn't get a release. Plus I have a few friends who can't afford the higher price of Blu Ray's and 4K UHD hardware and software.
Thanks given by:
2112rushfan (01-06-2021), Aclea (01-11-2021), Jay H. (01-05-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #171

Jun 2011
Minnesota

Are you kidding me? I find dvds for 2.99 or 3.99 for seeing it three or four times with nobody to show off. They want to know if I have the movie no matter the format and this is once in a while. Normally people ask if I seen a movie enough to carry dialogue. I had someone borrow the dvds and ship it back.

Being jealous of bluray or 4k doesn't even exist with most people. They are only jealous of my Playstation 4 Pro or Playstation 5. Blurays are literally for Youtube channels like CoolDuder. Youtube channels is a lot of hard work BTW. It takes 25% of the whole day to make a 6 minute video! I think CoolDuder is make believe just like Angry videogame nerd.
There is something fake about this videos such as he drives to electronic stores and finds bad movies to collect and keeps them. Most people collect good movies.

Last edited by renegadeviking; 01-12-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #172

Jul 2016
NH

I have what I think is a relatively small Blu-Ray collection (probably less than 400 discs)...

Yet, I bought How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. It was maybe $2.00. I might even keep it for years. Matthew McConaughey is hot and worth a couple bucks shirtless in HD, even in a bad movie.

Though- there are many movies I wouldn't buy for $0.60.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #173
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

There’s lots of stuff, particularly TV shows, which will never get mastered in HD. I’d rather have them on DVD than not have them at all.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (01-18-2021), Cremildo (01-14-2021), Cruel Angel (01-14-2021), Dustin44 (01-14-2021), Froggy0705 (01-17-2021), Jay H. (01-17-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #174

Nov 2009
San Antonio TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
There’s lots of stuff, particularly TV shows, which will never get mastered in HD. I’d rather have them on DVD than not have them at all.
Damn right.

That's why my main concern when I moved up to 4k was how well dvds would upscale than watching actual 4k content
Thanks given by:
Aclea (01-18-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #175
Special Member

Oct 2016
Australia

SD on Blu-ray > DVD
Thanks given by:
i95 (02-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #176
Banned

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzronk View Post
SD on Blu-ray > DVD
There are legal restrictions preventing that.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:49 AM   #177
Special Member

Oct 2016
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsknudsen View Post
There are legal restrictions preventing that.
?

Anime in the US has these releases all the time, looks a tiny bit nicer with far less discs.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:51 AM   #178

Jan 2021

As interesting as it may seem to release older content in SD on Blu-ray, there are many issues that prevent it from being the most viable option. First of all, Blu-ray still has a small market share compared to that of DVD (roughly 30% compared to 60%), so releasing exclusively to SD Blu would basically limit the potential audience of that content. The average DVD user is more likely to resort to streaming than spend the extra money upgrading to Blu-ray at a time where physical media is declining.

Second, Blu-ray was meant to be a high-definition format, so when a movie enthusiast hears the word "Blu-ray", they immediately associate the term with high definition video. This is the reason why many of the SD Blu-ray releases get criticized for (obviously) not being in HD. To me, authoring SD content onto Blu-ray handicaps the format the same way as authoring VHS content onto DVD. Sure, you get the benefit of higher bit-rates with less discs to deal with, but in the end it's only worth the effort to those who care about getting the absolute best AV quality and the convenience of not having to change the discs often.

Third, because of Blu-ray's extensive DRM mechanisms, getting a Blu-ray player to play your SD Blu-rays on a period-correct CRT display will be difficult, if not outright impossible. They stopped making players with analog outputs a long time ago, so if you manage to find one, chances are you wouldn't be able to play the discs on it due to the lack of updates. While HDMI-to-AV adapters exist, their quality varies and not all of them can handle HDCP signals. While CRT users may be a minor crowd (outside of retro gaming), this is still a valid concern to point out for those who want to watch older content on older displays for quality purposes, as older lower-quality video looks worse on larger screens.

And finally, how many times have you seen a major movie publisher (i.e. not a boutique label or a lesser-known publisher) release an old TV show on Blu-ray as-is without any HD restoration work? Probably next to never. That's because the major movie studios know there's a risk with releasing things with very little revenue generated in return. This in conjunction with the first problem is the reason why TV shows on DVD (even if those produced in HD) are more common than TV show releases on Blu-ray.

By releasing SD content on Blu-ray only, it would be a matter of sacrificing a significant part of your audience for the sake of using less discs on a format that wasn't meant for just SD content.

Though I admit, I suppose SD Blu-ray makes sense for long-running shows with a huge number of episodes where the storage space of DVD would make it impractical to release on the format. Still, in my opinion, I'd rather see more HD shows get released on Blu-ray first.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #179

Feb 2021

No. DVD's are still the biggest sellers of physical media over Blu-rays, and are cheaper for a lot of people. I only buy Blu-ray unless I have a movie I love that isn't on Blu-ray. I think they can always co-exist, together. I'd hate to have to end up replacing all my DVD's like we had to do with VHS. Let them co-exist together.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:49 AM   #180
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

It might be obvious, but I still enjoy a few DVDs myself. Our nice upscaling disc players and/or upscaling TVs have made many of them more watchable than ever before.

I prefer that a product live or die upon its merits and a popular profitable product has much merit. I also prefer to decide for myself what to buy without anyone arbitrarily limiting my choices.

Last edited by Vilya; 02-24-2021 at 07:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (02-24-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies