Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
14 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$5.99
10 hrs ago
Wrong Turn (Blu-ray)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #29641
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I just noticed that; that does sucketh big time. Until I watch the sequel, I won't know if it is worth buying a second time on 4K disc.
I have on UHD BD, IMHO, not as good as the first nor is the Atmos track. Here is hopping #3 (2022) = #1.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #29642
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
A great feeling when another member gets to experience a new excitement in their home theater. IMHO, the LFE you will experience with a good sub will add another dimension to your viewing pleasure. Some more titles with good LFE: Ghost Rider, Hit Man, I Am Number Four, Max Payne and Percy Jackson.

Some that has been in my room thought I had added Bass Shakers to my chairs but I assured them I had not.

Maybe cheez avenger will tell us when when new subs are added to his setup.

The issue with the CC got sorted out but Monoprice increased the price on the subs again. I'd be overpaying by more than $20 for the subs. I also want two subwoofer cables from them that show as out of stock. I have the cables wishlisted for an email update once they're back in stock.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #29643
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Fantastic Beasts another 3-D title with 5.1 sound, really makes me .
Maybe its to motivate people to stop buying 3D. .
Really 3D HD SDR with DTS-HD-MA vs 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos. Especially if you see a noticeable uptick in PQ in the review compared to the BD.

Own both the 4K discs.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #29644
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Really 3D HD SDR with DTS-HD-MA vs 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos. Especially if you see a noticeable uptick in PQ in the review compared to the BD.
IMO, just marketing BS. Have 7 3-D titles with Atmos. Same with BD, no reason not to have Atmos or DTS:X. Netflix is guilty also, Atmos on their highest tier only .
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:38 PM   #29645
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
IMO, just marketing BS. Have 7 3-D titles with Atmos. Same with BD, no reason not to have Atmos or DTS:X. Netflix is guilty also, Atmos on their highest tier only .
There is no reason other than marketing not to include an Atmos audio track on a blu-ray disc. Several of my 3D blu-rays and regular blu-rays include Atmos. Limiting Atmos to 4K discs is designed to encourage people to buy the 4K disc.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #29646
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
The issue with the CC got sorted out but Monoprice increased the price on the subs again. I'd be overpaying by more than $20 for the subs. I also want two subwoofer cables from them that show as out of stock. I have the cables wishlisted for an email update once they're back in stock.
I'm sorry that your CC company caused you to miss out on that deal; hopefully what you want will go back on sale soon.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:14 AM   #29647
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

I watched the extended cut blu-ray of Fantastic Beasts The Crimes Of Grindelwald that came with my imported U.K. 3D edition tonight. My AVR indicated that the 2D disc had Atmos audio and my Oppo 203 showed the audio as Dolby TrueHD 7.1. Apparently, only the 3D disc is limited to 5.1 audio which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever; the regular blu-rays in this set got an Atmos track while the main disc in this edition, the 3D disc, does not. Studio stupidity at its finest.

It was not a very impressive Atmos presentation and the movie itself was . I have no idea how the blu-ray.com reviewer gave the Atmos track such a high score (4.5/5); it was frankly a disappointment. I see no reason to upgrade this one to 4K disc as both the movie and the Atmos audio were underwhelming. Maybe the 3D presentation will elevate it, but I doubt that 3D alone can make up for these shortcomings. The blu-ray video quality was fine, but that's all this movie has going for it.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-23-2021 at 04:00 AM.
Thanks given by:
Wendell R. Breland (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #29648

Jan 2016
Midwest USA

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-news/itv-bos...11364431329793
^^^
...warning that the US giants "will reach such an unassailable position of dominance that UK audiences will lose the choice and diversity of content we today take for granted"

Kirk Bayne
Thanks given by:
CV19 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #29649
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfbkfb View Post
^^^
...warning that the US giants "will reach such an unassailable position of dominance that UK audiences will lose the choice and diversity of content we today take for granted"

Quote:
"Dame Carolyn McCall cited long-running ITV soap Coronation Street as a gem of public service television"
Not sure what planet she's living on, and she is entitled to her opinion I guess, but I personally wouldn't regard a soap opera as a "gem" of public television, although I dare say regular viewers of them will disagree with me. Further down the page it also mentions 'Emmerdale' and 'I'm A Celebrity'......another soap and a reality show - - the very two categories I despise on TV, and the reason I don't watch them.

Quote:
MPs must “act now” to secure Britain’s public service broadcasting against competition from global giants like Netflix
I don't know why politicians need to get involved here. So long as broadcasters show programmes viewers want to see, they'll survive alongside the likes of Netflix. If ITV (which broadcasts the above 3 programmes) wishes to have a secure future, I suggest they offer the viewer more than the usual daily garbage they are currently offering.

Only my opinion of course.

Last edited by CV19; 01-23-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:54 AM   #29650
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfbkfb View Post
^^^

Kirk Bayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Not sure what planet she's living on, and she is entitled to her opinion I guess, but I personally wouldn't regard a soap opera as a "gem" of public television, although I dare say regular viewers of them will disagree with me. Further down the page it also mentions 'Emmerdale' and 'I'm A Celebrity'......another soap and a reality show - - the very two categories I despise on TV, and the reason I don't watch them.

I don't know why politicians need to get involved here. So long as broadcasters show programmes viewers want to see, they'll survive alongside the likes of Netflix. If ITV (which broadcasts the above 3 programmes) wishes to have a secure future, I suggest they offer the viewer more than the usual daily garbage they are currently offering.

Only my opinion of course.
She wants tighter regulations of streaming content, US streaming services to pay the same taxes, to have watershed restrictions (no heavy content before 9pm although how the heck would they do that?), she wants greater presence of programmes on the main menu of devices, she basically wants to hamstring Netflix and Disney+ imo. Thatís what this is about. If you canít beat em, play dirty.

Well, stop showing dreck like Love Island, endless costume dramas, Emmerdale and cheesy daytime crap when Iím off work, and I might warm to it.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 03:46 PM   #29651
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Yesterday we received our first Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine injection. Arm a little sore but no side effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
We have an appointment next week to get our first Moderna Vaccine shot. Let's hope we get out of this Dark Cloud!
that is good news. Don't forget to continue taking precautions, abd the second shot.
Thanks given by:
alchav21 (01-23-2021), Steedeel (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #29652
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Well, stop showing dreck like Love Island, endless costume dramas, Emmerdale and cheesy daytime crap when I’m off work, and I might warm to it.
Absolutely right mate. I never realised until I stopped working (nearly 2 years ago now) how bad daytime TV was every day. The evening schedules are barely any better - at least on the terrestrial channels, with ITV being the worst culprit.

Channel 4 used to be good especially under the Jeremy Isaacs years in the 1980's, but now it's crap just like Channel 5 and ITV. Other than live sport on Sky, I'll watch BBC2 and BBC4 for their archive programmes from the past. For my movie entertainment, then it's down to my own DVD/Blu-ray collection.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #29653
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Understood, it can be frustrating at times. I have ordered quite a bit of various types of cable from MonoPrice. I pick cable xyz at 3' 5' and 10' but 5' is out of stock so I have to wait till 5' is in stock or order and pay 2 shipping chargers. The good part is that seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Other suppliers that I have ordered from: Amazon, Cable Wholesale, Cables Direct, PCH Cables, and Show Me Cables. If I am buying a lot of name brand* cable like a spool or hank then I buy from a wholesaler like H.L. Dalis. IMO, Canare connectors are works of art.

* Belden, CommScope, Canare and Mogami.
Thanks given by:
cheez avenger (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #29654
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Absolutely right mate. I never realised until I stopped working (nearly 2 years ago now) how bad daytime TV was every day. The evening schedules are barely any better - at least on the terrestrial channels, with ITV being the worst culprit.

Channel 4 used to be good especially under the Jeremy Isaacs years in the 1980's, but now it's crap just like Channel 5 and ITV. Other than live sport on Sky, I'll watch BBC2 and BBC4 for their archive programmes from the past. For my movie entertainment, then it's down to my own DVD/Blu-ray collection.
Over here in the states we have BritBox which is recent to old shows from both BBC and ITV. I can say its not terribly attractive to watch for long sessions, even if you're a mystery fan. Acorn is another one with some same UK content, combined with AU content also. But it all seems quite dated for the most part compared to our content mix.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #29655
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Over here in the states we have BritBox which is recent to old shows from both BBC and ITV. I can say its not terribly attractive to watch for long sessions, even if you're a mystery fan. Acorn is another one with some same UK content, combined with AU content also. But it all seems quite dated for the most part compared to our content mix.
We have Britbox but I think itís quite comprehensive compared to your version. C4 (my favourite channel) are joining soon.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:24 PM   #29656
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Quote:
We have Britbox but I think it’s quite comprehensive compared to your version. C4 (my favourite channel) are joining soon.
I don't have Britbox, but one recent show I would like to have watched is the new series of Spitting Image, as I used to watch the original shows from the 80's and 90's and always enjoyed them. ITV did show only a single episode late one evening, and I'm guessing it was used as a teaser to try and get people to subscribe to Britbox. I don't know if there are other programmes exclusive to this service, or whether they will eventually be aired on the terrestrial channels.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #29657
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
C4 (my favourite channel) are joining soon.
Channel 4 used to be my favourite terrestrial channel as well, as it was refreshing to see films/programmes that the other mainstream channels would never show. I just feel now that over the past few years it's lost that uniqueness, and now it's just like the other commercial channels. There may be some gems that I'm missing out on - I don't know to be honest as I rarely ever look at their schedules now.

The same goes with Film Four. I had it when it was launched as a subscription service in the late 90's and they showed some pretty daring stuff which the likes of the BBC would never screen. I still remember and enjoyed many of the films Mark Kermode used to introduce. However to me it seems the channel went downhill around the time they abandoned subscriptions and went free-to-air.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:45 AM   #29658
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I don't have Britbox, but one recent show I would like to have watched is the new series of Spitting Image, as I used to watch the original shows from the 80's and 90's and always enjoyed them. ITV did show only a single episode late one evening, and I'm guessing it was used as a teaser to try and get people to subscribe to Britbox. I don't know if there are other programmes exclusive to this service, or whether they will eventually be aired on the terrestrial channels.
I think they want to make new exclusives for the service on a regular basis. If British films got first run premieres on there, that would be a big draw.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #29659

Jan 2016
Midwest USA

Drifting OT, however:

I almost always watch the (USA) reruns digital TV subchannels:
(Antenna TV, Comet TV, COZI-TV, HandI, ION, MeTV, This TV) and usually record some shows (mostly with VHS SLP since it smooths out the low video data rate artifacts, sometimes DVD) [ the link to physical media ]

I used to watch the new Hawaii 5-0 on CBS, but not recently.

I have HBOmax free with my AT&T fiber (BTW, WW84 won't play thru my Edge Browser), I watched a few episodes of the 1st season of the Jetsons.

Kirk Bayne
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #29660
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
I think they want to make new exclusives for the service on a regular basis. If British films got first run premieres on there, that would be a big draw.
Yes I agree, I think it would attract subscribers. I just had a look at their website for curiosity and they're quoting £5.99 per month - by coincidence that's how much Film Four charged monthly for their service when it launched. At least with Britbox, you're getting the other channels too.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-24-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology