Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
9 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
17 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
13 hrs ago
Masterpiece: All Creatures Great and Small (Blu-ray)
$34.16
12 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Special Member

Jan 2010
Default Warning on kids viewing 3D images

The technology is so new, long term effects unknown on the human body.

I've said it before, my wife and I get thumping headache using Real 3D glasses and shutter glasses.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/...-nintendo.html

I guess the key exceprt here in this article to tie it into 3D movies as well is,

"Sony recommends consulting a doctor before allowing young children to watch 3D video images or play 3D games."

Here you have a company selling, promoting, demoing 3D in store, kids viewing them. Then a footnote along the way.

I think this reminds me of the whole cell phone use, radio wave controversy. Only time will tell I guess.

I'm opting out, I prefer 2D as it is.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

There will always be some percentage of the general populace that experiences health issues from just about anything. I liken this to the disclaimer about epilepsy that is printed on the inside cover of video game manuals. Sony's just covering their backside by adding the disclaimer.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

That is what it is really, just a protection for Sony and others. They are not at their first BBQ and they know how to play the game.

In reality the number of people who have a hard time with 3D viewing is very small compare to the rest of the world. Unless real harcore research and proof is given that it's dangerous for everyone on long term viewing with side effects that are mesured, you won't be seeing it go away now or forever. That might take a heck of a long time coming too, it's not something that can be evaluated in a few months. For example television as been around for 50 years in everyone's living room, only in the last decade have researchers notice that too much TV viewing for young babies (from 0-3) can affect their growing up skills. It seem that fast cut images provided by TV can affect how a baby's brain can develop and that is still not completely understood and TV as been around for 50 years. If there is some long time side effect because of too much 3D viewings, me, you and all of us now we won't know about it for 20 or 30 years and maybe more.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2010
Default .

True, I guess the old adage, too much of anything is bad for you would hold here.

Hopefully the fine tune the tech in the long term where I dont get the headaches, sort of like how they further eliminated the screen door effect from lcd projectors by moving from 720p to 1080p.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #5

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post

I've said it before, my wife and I get thumping headache using Real 3D glasses and shutter glasses.

I guess the key exceprt here in this article to tie it into 3D movies as well is,

"Sony recommends consulting a doctor before allowing young children to watch 3D video images or play 3D games."

Here you have a company selling, promoting, demoing 3D in store, kids viewing them. Then a footnote along the way.

I think this reminds me of the whole cell phone use, radio wave controversy. Only time will tell I guess.

When it comes to my kids I concur with you after having read a few articles on the subject. Kids eyes are still developing so it is better to be safe than sorry.

Many things have been put out for use only later to be banned due to harmful effects. DDT anyone. How about agent orange or look at pictures of those who tested the first nuke bomb in the US. They watched the explosion with their own eyes in a bunker with no shielding.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
United Kingdom

Good to see your awake Synergy, to many people just grab the next shiny thing & promote it like a zombie. I hope Tron legacy comes in normal view..

GL2011
Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesu View Post

Consider yourself consulted -

Humans with normal visual perception experience 3D perception all day long! Even when the stimuli is a flat sheet of paper with text on it, the perception is a 2D object in 3D space.

People that have Amblyopia (where one eye does not see as well as the other, for any number of reasons) tend to exhibit suppression and 'ignore' the input from the worse eye. These people do not have full depth perception, but rather experience depth based on monocular cues (hints based on single eye input). These include: shadows, relative size consistency, and obscuration.

Images generated by a man-made 3D source will present difficulties for various reasons. These reasons vary depending on the method for 'forced' 3D, and the visual dysfunction of the individual. I will concede though, that young children DO have more difficulty controlling their focusing/converging system and should be playing something more constructive for their development than video games for any great length of time. (And before anybody Boo's, I'm a big proponent of video games. I have great eye/hand coordination and reflexes because of them. It's just a fact that many small children have difficulties).

Unfortunately, far too many parents don't have their young children in for an eye exam until a problem occurs (like when the school nurse says they failed a vision screening). Sadly, some problems, if not caught BEFORE they start school, can have lasting consequences. Children should be seen by an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist within the first year of life, and once or twice BEFORE they begin school. Most parents don't seem to know this. An 'eye exam' by a Pediatrician does not typically investigate proper eye function as thoroughly as it should (my own experience). Check out this site: http://www.infantsee.org/ Former President Jimmy Carter was the spokesman for this program, since he has either nieces or granddaughters with Amblyopia that could have been caught early in an eye exam if they'd gotten one...

I want to be really clear about this: THERE IS NOTHING HARMFUL ABOUT 3D VIEWING.

However, difficulties when using forced 3D viewing can be a very strong sign of a visual dysfunction. It can be as mild as needing a better prescription, possible suppression issues, or Amblyopia.

If you have difficulties with forced 3D viewing - have your vision and eye health checked!

Cheers,

Doc (Optometrist)

Last edited by doctorsteve; 01-01-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
Many things have been put out for use only later to be banned due to harmful effects. DDT anyone.
The DDT thing turned out to be a scare that was overblown, just like the banning of Absinthe. The only country in the world that has banned DDT is the U.S. but the rest of the world has shown it to be a safe and VERY effective insecticide, especially in countries where Malaria is a problem.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Question

Do you think fluoridation of the mains water is a good healthy thing, DrSteve?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Birmingham, Alabama. :(
Smile

The health of children watching 3D does not apply to me. I do not have any children, and I'd never let the kids I know wear my 3D glasses. They'd break them.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZenBomZ View Post
Do you think fluoridation of the mains water is a good healthy thing, DrSteve?
I think it's responsible for early puberty... just a theory

Our water's fluoronated and I have zero cavities/fillings. But then again, I have always been a big milk drinker too...
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

I made it only halfway through Avatar before I got headaches and nausea; and a terrable fear that I was going to do someting bad to the person sitting in front of me. They say cell phone use is harmful longterm, yet I haven't noticed any negative side effects nearly as bad as I get with 3D viewing. Looks like I'll be staying out of that picture for a long time to come.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2008
Green Valley, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4K61 View Post
I made it only halfway through Avatar before I got headaches and nausea; and a terrable fear that I was going to do someting bad to the person sitting in front of me. They say cell phone use is harmful longterm, yet I haven't noticed any negative side effects nearly as bad as I get with 3D viewing. Looks like I'll be staying out of that picture for a long time to come.
My wife and I had the same experience as you have had. Avatar was our first and last Real-3D cinema experience. Was only really able to appreciate and enjoy Avatar once we were able to purchase the regular 2D Blu-ray. It's simply not for us.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies