Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Dynasty 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Humpback Whales 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.96

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

House of Wax 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #1

Sep 2009
Default Can 2D Blu-ray Players be upgraded to play 3D Blu-rays?

I have the BD390 Blu Ray player. I was wondering if this player would be able to play 3D Blu Ray discs with a simple update? Similar to the PS3. I just bought this player a few months ago for $300, for it not to be able to play 3D through an update would be a rip off.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

Aug 2008
Doha, Qatar

most likely not, usually standalone players are very limied in upgrads look what happened in profiles revisions, 3D is more serious.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I have the BD390 Blu Ray player. I was wondering if this player would be able to play 3D Blu Ray discs with a simple update? Similar to the PS3. I just bought this player a few months ago for $300, for it not to be able to play 3D through an update would be a rip off.
The chances of any stand alone player getting a 3D software upgrade is slim to none. The PS3 can get away with a 3D firmware update because it is so powerful it can decode the 3D in software unlike stand alone players that will do it in the hardware.

Last edited by Oddiophile; 01-01-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #4

Apr 2009
New Plymouth, Idaho

From reading the Panasonic information that came out of CES, it doesn't appear that upgrades can cover this. I agree, it's unfair to expect folks to re-invest in the new 3D player hardware just after they have purchased a new (read: was new) 2D player. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because that's just what I did (Panasonic player AND projector), but I won't hold my breath waiting for a 3D firmware update that might never come. If it (a 3D firmware update) is technically possible and Panasonic doesn't provide that support for its customers, that's another story, and I would be somewhat upset.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #5

Dec 2009

3-D sucks. Why does anyone even want it? Not to mention you have to purchase a new blu-ray player and possibly a new television. If I am forced to buy a new player for a new format within three or four years from now, I'm done altogether.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #6

Jan 2010

I personally am not a fan of 3D, I know I'll be sticking with 2D for definitely the forseeable future.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
Not to sound too negative, but the idea of 3D blu-ray coming to the market place has been around for quite sometime now, and you should have done your homework before investing $300 in a standalone player. Unless of course you don't care about 3D (like some people), or the player you invested $300 in was a PS3 (which is the only up-gradeable player currently on the market). Sorry man, but I think you're screwed for now.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
$300 for a Blu-ray player? Why didn't you get yourself a PS3? It does so much more for the same price and has proven over and over again that it is going to be nearly always future proof.

As for all of the nay-sayers dissing 3D? You say that you have no interest now, but wait until you get to experience it in person. I've heard several people who were of the same mindset before the first televised 3D broadcast occured a few days ago in Europe. They were each skeptical and/or against everything about 3D TV. Having attended the first public broadcast at local venues throughout Europe, they have quickly changed their minds from "No way in hell am I spending the money to get a 3D TV" to "There is no doubt in my mind that I have to get a 3D TV when they become available."
Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #9

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post

As for all of the nay-sayers dissing 3D? You say that you have no interest now, but wait until you get to experience it in person. I've heard several people who were of the same mindset before the first televised 3D broadcast occured a few days ago in Europe. They were each skeptical and/or against everything about 3D TV. Having attended the first public broadcast at local venues throughout Europe, they have quickly changed their minds from "No way in hell am I spending the money to get a 3D TV" to "There is no doubt in my mind that I have to get a 3D TV when they become available."

It has nothing to do with what it looks like or does. Blu-ray is just becoming popular and the majority of people haven't even started to use it, but for everyone who has invested in a blu-ray player and an HDTV in the past four years will already have to replace their equipment. Sorry, but I'm not going to go through this time after time, just to see something better come out so quickly. Blu-ray should have the time to succeed like DVD and VHS have. Ordinary blu-ray players dying out in 4-5 years is a sure way to get customers to hesitate to buy any 3D equipment, etc. 3D is going to take 3x as much time as Blu-ray to become relatively popular.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

3-D failed before and will fail again. I don't care how much it has improved since, but I can tell you right now with this economy and people who has just been asked to upgrade to Blu-Ray in the last couple of years, 3-D will sink faster than the Titanic.....And who the hell would want to be wearing glasses at their living room all the time just to watch 3D on tv? That will grow old pretty fast....
Old 02-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #11

Mar 2008
El Paso, Texas
Default 3d

Quote:
no players will play 3D movies, you will need a new player as well as a new HDTV thats 3 D ready.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #12

Aug 2009
california

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Bond View Post
Not to sound too negative, but the idea of 3D blu-ray coming to the market place has been around for quite sometime now, and you should have done your homework before investing $300 in a standalone player. Unless of course you don't care about 3D (like some people), or the player you invested $300 in was a PS3 (which is the only up-gradeable player currently on the market). Sorry man, but I think you're screwed for now.
+1.
you didn't get screwed. you got a very good bd player. if/when you purchase a 3d blu-ray player you can move the bd390 to another room or sell it and put that money towards your 3d player.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #13

Jul 2009
Colorado

People act like they HAVE to upgrade, if you dont want 3-D, guess what? No one is forcing you to buy a new BD player/TV.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massacre1 View Post
People act like they HAVE to upgrade, if you dont want 3-D, guess what? No one is forcing you to buy a new BD player/TV.
Exactly and thats why the mass ajority of consumers will not buy a 3D player or a new 3D TV. This is a terrible move and will cause 3D to die. Consumers will never spend more money on another TV (forget the 3D player for now) Let's assume 80% of consumers dont own bluray players yet. They can all go out and buy the 3D player but i guarantee you a vast majority will not show interest in dishing out more $$$ for a new TV.. it will never happen
Old 02-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massacre1 View Post
What if you want it, and believed the hype when your television had a sticker that said, "3-D Ready"?

Most people will want 3-D, and assumed that a modern television and new Blu player would play movies in the format. Plenty of 3-D films have been released in the anaglyph "cardboard glasses" format.

Don't be so dismissive of people's concerns - this is expensive stuff, a technical solution should be found so that people don't get double dipped like this.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
Exactly and thats why the mass ajority of consumers will not buy a 3D player or a new 3D TV. This is a terrible move and will cause 3D to die. Consumers will never spend more money on another TV (forget the 3D player for now) Let's assume 80% of consumers dont own bluray players yet. They can all go out and buy the 3D player but i guarantee you a vast majority will not show interest in dishing out more $$$ for a new TV.. it will never happen
100% agreement.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #17
Special Member

Jul 2007
FL, USA

the Sony BDP-S370 will be where its at in terms of an affordable 3d ready blu-ray player. But once again i stand behind the ps3 being the best player, b/c so far there's been no update that the ps3 hasn't been able to get via firmware.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
Power Member

Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post

you are wrong people will always upgrade
Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #19

Aug 2007
Denver, Co

I know a lot of people are very anti 3D right now and I was one of those people. I went and actually checked out a 3D TV in person at a Sony store the other day and my view point drastically changed. I still think the technology is in the early phase and there isn't going to be much content that supports it but it looks realllly good.

3D on a nice LCD or a Plasma is so much better than at the theaters it is really crazy. Don't let the crappy 3D movie theaters taint your perceptions on what this could do for home cinema.

Its similar to what happend with me for 2D movies. I used to think theaters looked great but after watching some blu-rays on my 50" plasma the theaters now look blurry and dirty. It is difficult to even go to the theater anymore. The same revelation happened to me after checking out a Sony 3D LCD. The movie looked sharp and crisp. The image was incredibly detailed and flat out looked amazing. I can only imagine what the Panasonic Plasmas will look like.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't knock it if you haven't seen it for yourself. Yeah it might not be for everybody (person who likes to entertain a lot and have a lot of people over to watch a single movie) but for some people like me, I usually just watch movies with my girlfriend, it can be really cool
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
Power Member

Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredomHD View Post
3-D sucks. Why does anyone even want it? Not to mention you have to purchase a new blu-ray player and possibly a new television. If I am forced to buy a new player for a new format within three or four years from now, I'm done altogether.
no wonder you are bored
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players