Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Love and Monsters (DVD)
$11.99

Country Music (DVD)
$38.00

Monster Hunter (DVD)
$17.96

Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors - The Complete Season (DVD)
$29.96

The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection (DVD)
$29.99

Courage The Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series (DVD)
$20.28

Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (DVD)
$13.25
1 day ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection (DVD)
$9.99

All My Life (DVD)
$17.99

The Croods: A New Age (DVD)
$17.99

VeggieTales: 25th Anniversary 10-Movie Collection (DVD)
$14.99

Promising Young Woman (DVD)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Would love to have Hercules and Xena series sets on bluray - in the mean time I need to look at picking these up on DVD at some point. Been watching on NetFlix here lately, I really love these shows.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

I'm planning on watching the entrie series. I've seen the first 4 episode of season 1 so far. My plan is to watch at least 1 episode per day.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
I'm planning on watching the entrie series. I've seen the first 4 episode of season 1 so far. My plan is to watch at least 1 episode per day.
Good luck on knocking them out. I started doing this as well but have not been able to keep up with it every day (did this with Star Trek, all series and movies and only missed one day). To date I've watched all the Young Hercules shows, Hercules Films, and Hercules seasons 1 - 4. Currently watching one or two episodes a week. Only have a dozen or so left before moving over to Xena.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #24
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeforest View Post
Good luck on knocking them out. I started doing this as well but have not been able to keep up with it every day (did this with Star Trek, all series and movies and only missed one day). To date I've watched all the Young Hercules shows, Hercules Films, and Hercules seasons 1 - 4. Currently watching one or two episodes a week. Only have a dozen or so left before moving over to Xena.
I hear you. I tried it many times with other tv shows, but I own the series since last October and I didn't watch any of it. So I NEED to do it now or never lol.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #25

Sep 2014

With X-Files and Buffy getting the HD treatment and being done and aired on tv, any chances Xena would be next off the cards from 90's shows.

I know the series never aired or was released on DVD in widescreen, but its possible the entire series was filmed in widescreen right?

But sadly I cant see Xena looking good on blu-ray or HD, the budget was lower than X-Files or Buffy. Xena really used so many stunt doubles, and you can easily notice them way more than Buffy for instance, even for simple shots of Xena or Gabrielle walking on the roads or seen in the distance. The special effects for monsters also would need serious serious work, like the Prometheus episode.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:36 AM   #26
Special Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by west72 View Post
With X-Files and Buffy getting the HD treatment and being done and aired on tv, any chances Xena would be next off the cards from 90's shows.

I know the series never aired or was released on DVD in widescreen, but its possible the entire series was filmed in widescreen right?

But sadly I cant see Xena looking good on blu-ray or HD, the budget was lower than X-Files or Buffy. Xena really used so many stunt doubles, and you can easily notice them way more than Buffy for instance, even for simple shots of Xena or Gabrielle walking on the roads or seen in the distance. The special effects for monsters also would need serious serious work, like the Prometheus episode.

I would count on Xena making it to Blu eventually. It was a worldwide sensation and is one of the absolute greatest series (and character) of all-time. It was filmed on film, so it will look great. Though, like you said, the special effects (like Star Trek and all other old shows with special effects) would need to be worked on as they were likely finalized in standard definition (video).

Xena (and Hercules) is something I would pre-order on Blu (I don't pre-order anything). I'm looking forward to it more than anything.

I wonder if they'll ever release Young Hercules on Blu.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:12 AM   #27

Dec 2016

I noticed when looking at seasons 4 & 5, the image looks nice, Season one
4 episodes in looks like lower quality. is that the norm on all dvd releases?
Old 03-08-2020, 03:14 AM   #28

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonestown1 View Post
I noticed when looking at seasons 4 & 5, the image looks nice, Season one
4 episodes in looks like lower quality. is that the norm on all dvd releases?
Yes. The first season and a half were shot on 16mm and look quite noticeably worse than the rest of the show.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #29

Aug 2014

Anyone know what's up with the different amount of discs for the different region releases of Xena and Hercules. From what I can see the US complete Xena collection is 30 discs, while the AUS release is 51 discs and the UK one 36 discs. Similarly the complete US Hercules release is 25 discs while the AUS release is 40 discs. Anyone got any idea what's up with the pretty substantial difference in discs between regions?
Old 08-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #30
Power Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgorden11 View Post
Anyone know what's up with the different amount of discs for the different region releases of Xena and Hercules. From what I can see the US complete Xena collection is 30 discs, while the AUS release is 51 discs and the UK one 36 discs. Similarly the complete US Hercules release is 25 discs while the AUS release is 40 discs. Anyone got any idea what's up with the pretty substantial difference in discs between regions?
Episodes per disc is the obvious difference, which means higher compression on the Murican release. The latest Murican release was never intended to be of great quality and is only intended to be for those who just want to "watch the shows" without having to stream them.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #31

Aug 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Xena really needs a decent DVD release, there is still no way to get season 3 onward in widescreen anywhere worldwide. Xena was produced for widescreen in season 3 onward (source: Michael Hurst interview )
Old 12-27-2020, 11:55 PM   #32

May 2009
New Zealand
-
-

These AI HD versions look very decent until we get a proper studio HD remaster.
https://www.reddit.com/r/xena/commen...ation_with_ai/

Last edited by ToASTER; 01-29-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
hasslein (12-28-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies