Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Shadow in the Cloud (Blu-ray)
$19.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
8 hrs ago
Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99
18 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
St Louis Area
Default Mortal Kombat Reboot

Update: Not an actual movie, but a short promo to try to get the movie made. Thanks to Goldensuitcase for this link:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/mor...ting-for-10164

Interview with short maker:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
Exclusive Interview with MORTAL KOMBAT: REBIRTH Director Kevin Tancharoen; Learn How Short Film Came Together and What He Wants to do in a Feature!

The interview is MASSIVE, so just click the photo to be taken to it.
Thanks to wyldeman

And here is Jeri Ryan's words on the short:

Quote:
ctress Jeri Ryan of Star Trek: Voyage fame appears as Sonya Blade in a Mortal Kombat trailer dubbed "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth" that popped up online. Is it a game trailer? A movie trailer? Tell us, Jeri, tell us!

"Okay, so... Mortal Kombat," she tweets. "It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film."

Ryan said she did her role as a favor to a friend. "No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was," she adds. I can tell you what my reaction was: stoked.

While a Mortal Kombat film was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson (of Resident Evil movie fame) in 1995, an updated take on the franchise has been languishing in development hell. However, a lawsuit has been filed by the development partner of the original film as it signed a contract in 2006 to do a sequel.

The Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short was helmed by Kevin Tancharoen. He directed last year's Fame remake.
http://kotaku.com/5558339/if-this-is...vie-sign-us-up

Bigger Version of the Video here: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/08/mo...ets-over-here/

PER KOTAKU:
Quote:
Michael Jai White as Jax? Jeri Ryan as Sonya Blade? Baraka and Reptile as homicidal maniacs? This footage from what looks to be the next Mortal Kombat game or movie trailer is brutal, disgusting, and perfect.

Reader Kev directed us to this video, featuring a realistic new take on the Mortal Kombat franchise that has more in common with movies like suspense and horror films like Seven and Saw than anything resembling the campy video game to film adaptations we've seen in the past.

Last we heard, Warner Bros. was looking to reboot the film franchise. If this is the fruit of that effort, we approve wholeheartedly.

More likely this could be a live-action trailer for the next game. Either way, we approve.

Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon has indicated that the next game in the series would be shooting for an M rating. "People want an M-rated MK....dammit we will give them an M-rated MK." This would surely do the trick.

This is way too much star power for a fan project. We're digging around for more information. Considering the timing of this trailer, however, we expect we might hear more as E3 quickly approaches.
Also Joystiq's thoughts on it plus the title possibly Mortal Kombat Rebirth:
Quote:
'Mortal Kombat Rebirth' footage gets over here

by Richard Mitchell { Jun 8th 2010 at 2:20PM }
Just under eight minutes of something related to Mortal Kombat has been posted on YouTube. The video features Jax -- sans cybernetic arms -- grilling a mysterious perp in a police station. Through some (laborious) exposition, he describes new humanized (and gross) versions of Reptile and Baraka, along with Johnny Cage and a young, beardless Shang Tsung.

At first glance, one might assume it's footage from the new, possibly derailed Mortal Kombat movie. Another possibility, given the video's proximity to E3 and its introductory nature, is that this is a tease for the next Mortal Kombat game. Furthermore, the name of the newly created YouTube account is MortalKombatRebirth, which sounds like a perfectly suitable title for a new entry in the series. A third and altogether frightening possibility: This is all a prelude to a new movie / game tie-in.

We know Warner Bros. is interested in the franchise, so it's safe to assume something is on the horizon. We've contacted WBIE for more info. One way or another, it seems likely we'll hear more by next week.

Looks impressive. As anyone can see I am a fan of the games, the first movie was okay, but the sequel was a travesty, lets hope this trailer is more representative of what the movie is and not just a setup for a terrible movie like Street Fighter.

Last edited by Secretagentnumber6; 06-10-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

Mar 2010
E-town

One word:

WOW

I hope and pray that this is gonna be a real movie and not just a trailer for the next game like they mentioned.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Banned

Nov 2008
-

this would be awesome.. and its definitely interesting
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2009
San Francisco Bay Area

HOLY!!!! If this is the reboot, it is gritty, gory, dark, disturbing and the best of all over the top violence!! This will definitely be rated R.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
St Louis Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500_Days_of_Night View Post
One word:

WOW

I hope and pray that this is gonna be a real movie and not just a trailer for the next game like they mentioned.
Yeah, I think it looks great, I really do not think it would be a trailer for the next game because of the star power (granted White and Ryan are not huge stars), but until we hear further that is always a chance. Like they said it is likely to be more fleshed out at E3.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Mortal Kombat finally done right as a movie? I liked the cheesy 90's ones, I'm definitely in.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Germany

I hope that's for a real movie. The clip was awesome!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #8

Mar 2010
E-town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretagentnumber6 View Post
Yeah, I think it looks great, I really do not think it would be a trailer for the next game because of the star power (granted White and Ryan are not huge stars), but until we hear further that is always a chance. Like they said it is likely to be more fleshed out at E3.
The only thing that worries me is that there's been absolutely no talk about this. No casting, no nothing... and I find it strange that they'd keep it it all hidden and not want any info to get out.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

Jan 2010
SC
Send a message via AIM to YoungE8080

That...was epic. I'm praying that this will be a movie.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #11

Nov 2008
Chicago IL

This would be an awesome reboot.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #12

Nov 2008
Chicago IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungE8080 View Post
That...was epic. I'm praying that this will be a movie.
+1. Just watched the trailer.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
St Louis Area

Put another website story up top also. They seem to think it may be for a new game. They do say the video has a name from the Youtube poster : Mortal Kombat Rebirth. They also have a larger version of the video which i put a link to on the op.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #14

Dec 2009
Tokyo PSN:hotsauce2888
Send a message via Skype™ to Denoku

Sweet. I'm getting up my hopes for some of these awesome movies coming out. Hopefully MK doesn't dissapoint, I say the darker the better.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Power Member

Aug 2009

I think it's just a mini-film given to studios to give them an idea of where they want to go. Nothing more or nothing less.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #16

Nov 2009
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensuitcase View Post
I think it's just a mini-film given to studios to give them an idea of where they want to go. Nothing more or nothing less.
That seems like a viable possibility. I'm holding out hope that fairly well-known actors like White and Ryan wouldn't go through the motions for something as trivial as a game trailer or a studio pitch. But, the fact that we haven't heard any news until now is hard to ignore.

Even if this does turn out to be only be for a game, I hope that someone at Warner is listening and realizes that the fans want a full-length movie of this quality.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensuitcase View Post
even thou i would like to see this, i have to agree with you.. Why would they bring out a 7 mins trailer for a movie thats not scheduled for 2013..lol.. i must admit thou, I would like to be proven wrong..
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #18

May 2009
New Zealand

I like the looks of it, lets hope it is a movie, and not a big ass game promo.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
San Francisco Bay Blu-Ray SteelBooks™: (150+)

It looks sick, I love it!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #20
Power Member

Aug 2009

And it seems I was right.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/mor...ting-for-10164

It seems they have a decent set of actors in just this short film alone, so imagine what they could do with funding and a major studio to back it up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
mortal kombat